Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Questions before I buy

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
EssexZed

Questions before I buy

Post by EssexZed » Sat May 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Tabz123 wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 4:01 pm
Tricky Dicky wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:02 am Hi All
We've had our Z4 for about three years , I would comment as follows
You need the following
M tech styling pack , makes the car look more purposeful
I wanted Manual , so it could be rolled out of the garage in the morning without staring the enginefor my wife to use before I went to work ,you can't roll autos .
Comfort pack ,this includes folding mirrors , makes parking in garage easier , extended lighting ,I lov the way the door handles light up ,
Heated seats are a must in winter with hood down
Don't laugh but a heated steering wheel is superb great bit of kit
326 style wheel imo look by far the best on this car , also not many crack issues
Keep the Run Flats , You don't want a phone call of the wife or girl friend at 11-00 at night in the pouring rain asking you to come and change the tyres as you thought you were a smart arse and using NRF tyres the ride would be better !!! The tyres that is .
Dark colours show swirl marks an holograms in the paint far more
Sat nav , we don't have this I wish we did , I would say it's a must have .
The std radio is crap ,
Have the rear light clusters been replaced this was an issue ours were replaced under warranty
Fuel pump , bearing type noises coming from fuel tank , luckily on the third or fourth visit to the BMW shop the tech hear it and replaced the lot under warranty two months before it ran out . Phew , big money.
A Newer emissions friendly engine with start stop
The above is what I would want if I were looking , It's a great car roof down parked in the street , it says look at me , best classy looking car in its class , i.e. Boxter, SLK
Enjoy it once you get it ,
Hi Tricky Dicky

Could you explain the rear light cluster issue and fuel pump noise in a little more detail please.

Cheers
Hi Tabz123

There's a pump in the tank that pushes fuel up to the engine and this can become very noisy. I had a 23i which sounded like somebody was trying to send morse code messages from inside the boot. It was a late 2010 model and had only covered 14k miles at the time. Fortunately it was under warranty and BMW changed the pump. It's a big job to get the tank out - they had the car 2 days and the bill (if I'd had to pay) was in excess of £1000. Apparently it's a well known problem but I think it only affects early cars.

Again on early cars the rear light clusters can fill with water. Many were changed under warranty.

Tabz123

Questions before I buy

Post by Tabz123 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:06 pm

EssexZed wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 9:27 pm
Tricky Dicky wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:02 am Hi All
We've had our Z4 for about three years , I would comment as follows
You need the following
M tech styling pack , makes the car look more purposeful
I wanted Manual , so it could be rolled out of the garage in the morning without staring the enginefor my wife to use before I went to work ,you can't roll autos .
Comfort pack ,this includes folding mirrors , makes parking in garage easier , extended lighting ,I lov the way the door handles light up ,
Heated seats are a must in winter with hood down
Don't laugh but a heated steering wheel is superb great bit of kit
326 style wheel imo look by far the best on this car , also not many crack issues
Keep the Run Flats , You don't want a phone call of the wife or girl friend at 11-00 at night in the pouring rain asking you to come and change the tyres as you thought you were a smart arse and using NRF tyres the ride would be better !!! The tyres that is .
Dark colours show swirl marks an holograms in the paint far more
Sat nav , we don't have this I wish we did , I would say it's a must have .
The std radio is crap ,
Have the rear light clusters been replaced this was an issue ours were replaced under warranty
Fuel pump , bearing type noises coming from fuel tank , luckily on the third or fourth visit to the BMW shop the tech hear it and replaced the lot under warranty two months before it ran out . Phew , big money.
A Newer emissions friendly engine with start stop
The above is what I would want if I were looking , It's a great car roof down parked in the street , it says look at me , best classy looking car in its class , i.e. Boxter, SLK
Enjoy it once you get it ,
Hi Tricky Dicky

Could you explain the rear light cluster issue and fuel pump noise in a little more detail please.

Cheers
Hi Tabz123

There's a pump in the tank that pushes fuel up to the engine and this can become very noisy. I had a 23i which sounded like somebody was trying to send morse code messages from inside the boot. It was a late 2010 model and had only covered 14k miles at the time. Fortunately it was under warranty and BMW changed the pump. It's a big job to get the tank out - they had the car 2 days and the bill (if I'd had to pay) was in excess of £1000. Apparently it's a well known problem but I think it only affects early cars.

Again on early cars the rear light clusters can fill with water. Many were changed under warranty.
Hi thanks for that explanation. My lights seem clear at the mo so thats a relief. Though my car is a 2012 20i I have noticed a ticking noise that sounds similar to a cd turning but scarily the noise increases and decreases with acceleration. Wondering if it could be the same issue 🙈
Tabz :thumbsup:

Cruising in a E89 Z4 2.0 20i msport (black/red)

Simon20VT

Questions before I buy

Post by Simon20VT » Sun May 14, 2017 12:14 pm

I've got a 20i manual 13 plate MSport facelift. The most noticeable benefit of the facelift is having the white running lights. They would most likely be an expensive hassle to replace but do make the car look a bit more modern imo. The chrome indicators look better but are an easy swap. I'm moving it on for a new car in the next few weeks. Mine has the 19" wheels, which are definitely worth getting, apline white with coral red and service inclusive, just under 10,000 on the clock. Also got heated seats, wind deflector, folding mirrors, parking sensors. It currently has an extended warranty. That used to be transferable to a new owner and subsequently extendable, I'll need to check on that.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Questions before I buy

Post by Smartbear » Sun May 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Simon20VT wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 12:14 pm I've got a 20i manual 13 plate MSport facelift. The most noticeable benefit of the facelift is having the white running lights. They would most likely be an expensive hassle to replace but do make the car look a bit more modern imo. The chrome indicators look better but are an easy swap. I'm moving it on for a new car in the next few weeks. Mine has the 19" wheels, which are definitely worth getting, apline white with coral red and service inclusive, just under 10,000 on the clock. Also got heated seats, wind deflector, folding mirrors, parking sensors. It currently has an extended warranty. That used to be transferable to a new owner and subsequently extendable, I'll need to check on that.
Hi, that's a really low mileage :P What sort of price are you looking for?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

*AL*

Questions before I buy

Post by *AL* » Sun May 14, 2017 5:22 pm

I'd say idrive and Nav is a must.
2009 (59) Z4 E89 3.0i Sdrive in deep sea blue, white extended leather, I-drive, folding mirrors. Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa

EssexZed

Questions before I buy

Post by EssexZed » Thu May 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Tabz123 wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi Tricky Dicky

Cheers
Hi Tabz123

Hi thanks for that explanation. My lights seem clear at the mo so thats a relief. Though my car is a 2012 20i I have noticed a ticking noise that sounds similar to a cd turning but scarily the noise increases and decreases with acceleration. Wondering if it could be the same issue 🙈
Hi, the engine ticking noise is a characteristic of the N20 direct injection engine as fitted in your car. Although this engine was a replacement for the N52 6 cylinder unit, producing similar power but with improved economy, for me, it can't match the glorious sound of an inline 6 :D

Tabz123

Questions before I buy

Post by Tabz123 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:37 pm

EssexZed wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 7:48 pm
Tabz123 wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi Tabz123

Hi, the engine ticking noise is a characteristic of the N20 direct injection engine as fitted in your car. Although this engine was a replacement for the N52 6 cylinder unit, producing similar power but with improved economy, for me, it can't match the glorious sound of an inline 6 :D
Thats very true. Having driven the 6 cylinder the noise was epic but fuel consumption didn't add up for me. That said I am looking to my backbox amended by Mike on here to bring back that z4 throttle noise!
Tabz :thumbsup:

Cruising in a E89 Z4 2.0 20i msport (black/red)

ZedConvert

Questions before I buy

Post by ZedConvert » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:59 am

Tabz123, "backbox amended by Mike on here" - details please?

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Questions before I buy

Post by RustyZ4 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Sorry guys, cant agree about the manual, mine has the 8 speed auto, and it is brilliant,,
As for options depends what you are after, I would defiantly look for one with enhanced blue tooth if you like streaming music, heated seats are really a must, Idrive brings you lots of goodies, but depends whether you want to pay for the premium of this, the standard radio is awful, but can be upgraded with better speakers, so either business (really very good) or professional, and front and rear sensors in my opinion are a must, I test drove one without and its a bugger to park

As for getting one from the main dealer, as you say it will come with a BMW warranty for a year, probably BMW connect, and hopefully piece of mind, but of course, a premium price
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Pbondar

Questions before I buy

Post by Pbondar » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:24 pm

I think the posts show that there is a wide range of opinions..often divergent!

For info on 0-60

The 2.3 ran 6.4 manual and 7.1 on its 6 speed auto topspeed 151/149 on 201BHP
The 20i ran 6.7 manual and 6.7 on its 8 speed auto topspeed 146/144 on 181 BHP
The 28i ran 5.7 manual and 5.5 on its 8 speed auto topspeed 155/155 on 241 BHP

The 8 speed auto changes gears at 200ms max..so you can't beat it with a manual box, even with less cogs hence why as the power goes up the 8 speed auto shows its advantage..the 2.3 auto shifted at 800ms ish

Also the 8 speed box does cute tricks like downshifting from 8 to 2 in one go..

And if you really want you can go semi or fully manual with the flappies..

When these babies are going well you need both hands on the wheel anyway..I thought autoboxes were for old farts, when they were 3-4 speed maybe..the ZF 8 speed is a peach..once you have had one anything else is retro..

So if you want the cheapest fastest combo buy a 20i auto and get the ecu remapped to 28i BHP which is very conservative..

Staying within the 280 BHP ish area on an ecu remap would take you down to around 5.4 manual and 5.2 auto!!

Personally I think an M Sport looks cuter, sat nav/decent radio/heated seats are all mandatory..

19" wheels are fashion over form..18" if you want max handling 17" for max comfort/pot hole capability..

So grasshopper..don't rush there are loads of 20i and a few 28i out there..skip the 2.3..

Having spent now two years following many Z4s on the runs I have to say that 6 pot sound myth doesn't do much for me.. :poke:

When the 20i is remapped it has its own raspy noise.. :fuelfire:

Your opinions and and decision will no doubt vary,... :tumbleweed:

Hunter

Questions before I buy

Post by Hunter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:28 pm

Auto, M Sport, Nav, Professional Hifi, heated seats....that would be my must haves...everything else is a bonus.......
E89 S Drive 35iS