Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

More on Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant...

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Mon May 15, 2017 7:50 pm

In an earlier post, I told how I ran into a detail guy at a Porsche dealer who turned me on to this product as a wax replacement. I've learned a bit more that I thought I'd share. First I should point out that the Wolfgang sealant is holding up very well. I have washed the car 3 times since applying the sealant and the gloss is as high as the day I put it on. I have taken to using the liquid paint sealant, (same product, but a liquid as opposed to a creamy paste), after a wash and dry. I use very little of the sealant on a microfiber covered sponge applicator and wipe down the entire car. I let it stand for 20-30 minutes and lightly buff with a thick micro fiber polishing cloth for OUTSTANDING results. I learned that the concours crowd uses the sealant on the glass as well as the paint and plastic light lenses and I tried it. It not only adds gloss to the windshield unlike any cleaner i have tried, but makes getting rid of dead bugs MUCH easier - they just don't stick nearly as bad. It also makes the glass feel as slick as the paint, so the wipers have less friction to overcome. This time of year, we get an amazing assortment of insects emerging and the nose of the car and windshield look like a battlefield after a 3 hour drive. The paint sealant provides some true protection against bugs; the nose of the car is easily cleaned with a simple wipe-down with a damp cloth - no scrubbing at all!. Bottom line is I have become a true-believer. This stuff is awesome - wish I had found it 40 years ago.

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed May 17, 2017 11:06 am

Are you only a customer or do you have a commercial connection to the product?
Vidi, vici, veni

afennell

Post by afennell » Wed May 17, 2017 12:08 pm

:thumbsup:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed May 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Z4Rick wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:50 pm In an earlier post, I told how I ran into a detail guy at a Porsche dealer who turned me on to this product as a wax replacement. I've learned a bit more that I thought I'd share. First I should point out that the Wolfgang sealant is holding up very well. I have washed the car 3 times since applying the sealant and the gloss is as high as the day I put it on. I have taken to using the liquid paint sealant, (same product, but a liquid as opposed to a creamy paste), after a wash and dry. I use very little of the sealant on a microfiber covered sponge applicator and wipe down the entire car. I let it stand for 20-30 minutes and lightly buff with a thick micro fiber polishing cloth for OUTSTANDING results. I learned that the concours crowd uses the sealant on the glass as well as the paint and plastic light lenses and I tried it. It not only adds gloss to the windshield unlike any cleaner i have tried, but makes getting rid of dead bugs MUCH easier - they just don't stick nearly as bad. It also makes the glass feel as slick as the paint, so the wipers have less friction to overcome. This time of year, we get an amazing assortment of insects emerging and the nose of the car and windshield look like a battlefield after a 3 hour drive. The paint sealant provides some true protection against bugs; the nose of the car is easily cleaned with a simple wipe-down with a damp cloth - no scrubbing at all!. Bottom line is I have become a true-believer. This stuff is awesome - wish I had found it 40 years ago.
Do you know they also do a carnauba wax that they recommend to use on top of the sealant for the "finale". You might want to give that ago but with it being a wax you'd probably want to reapplying/topping it up once a month.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Z4Rick wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:50 pm In an earlier post, I told how I ran into a detail guy at a Porsche dealer who turned me on to this product as a wax replacement. I've learned a bit more that I thought I'd share. First I should point out that the Wolfgang sealant is holding up very well. I have washed the car 3 times since applying the sealant and the gloss is as high as the day I put it on. I have taken to using the liquid paint sealant, (same product, but a liquid as opposed to a creamy paste), after a wash and dry. I use very little of the sealant on a microfiber covered sponge applicator and wipe down the entire car. I let it stand for 20-30 minutes and lightly buff with a thick micro fiber polishing cloth for OUTSTANDING results. I learned that the concours crowd uses the sealant on the glass as well as the paint and plastic light lenses and I tried it. It not only adds gloss to the windshield unlike any cleaner i have tried, but makes getting rid of dead bugs MUCH easier - they just don't stick nearly as bad. It also makes the glass feel as slick as the paint, so the wipers have less friction to overcome. This time of year, we get an amazing assortment of insects emerging and the nose of the car and windshield look like a battlefield after a 3 hour drive. The paint sealant provides some true protection against bugs; the nose of the car is easily cleaned with a simple wipe-down with a damp cloth - no scrubbing at all!. Bottom line is I have become a true-believer. This stuff is awesome - wish I had found it 40 years ago.
Is this the first sealant you have used? I use OptiPlex and it sounds like it does the same thing, much better than wax for application and protection but just lacks the glossy sheen of a wax.

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Wed May 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Yes, I have been using carnauba for 50 years - never again. This sealant has far more gloss than anything I have seen or used. The website gushes over it's 'cross linked acrylic polymers', which means very little to me, but the results are stunning. MUCH glossier than wax.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Sealant is definitely the way forward. Wax is great if you enjoy rubbing paste onto your car for 4hrs every weekend but there's some clever chemists out there making magic sealants.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed May 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Z4Rick wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 2:12 pm Yes, I have been using carnauba for 50 years - never again. This sealant has far more gloss than anything I have seen or used. The website gushes over it's 'cross linked acrylic polymers', which means very little to me, but the results are stunning. MUCH glossier than wax.
Its interesting what your saying.
I am just wondering why they have a wax in their range as a finisher then if the sealant is so good.
http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/car-wax--and-polish.html
Surely it must give it a bit extra.
I always been told sealant then carnauba over it for the best result.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:44 pm

I find sealant and wax give different results...

I tend to use wax on darker cars,gives a lovely even warm shine..

Im currently liking the japanese range by Fusso and Ioncoat. The King of gloss and Kiwami extreme is awesome.

Of course it all depends what your putting it onto.

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Wed May 17, 2017 7:08 pm

I don't have any working relationship with anyone other than the guy I sold my investment business to. I am fully retired and spend my time mucking around with cars, boats and airplanes now. I have been interested in these 'sealants' for some time, but most were hawked by detail shops and they charged upwards of $200 for a coat with a bunch of superlative claims and BS at no extra charge. I stumbled into Wolfgang; viewtopic.php?t=95727 I am now a loyal customer.

I spoke with a guy at Wolfgang about the wax topcoat. His response was "Yeah, some people say it adds 'depth' to the shine, but, honestly, I can't see it and don't bother with wax personally. I just do quick details with the liquid sealant and a quick buff out." That was good enough for me. I think if you read closely, you'll see Wolfgang doesn't recommend wax, they just recommend THEIR wax if you chose to use it. I would suggest anyone try the sealant. If you think wax would improve it - God love you! I'm all out of wax - gave the last of it to my buddy with a new Porsche.

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu May 18, 2017 11:18 am

Z4Rick wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 7:08 pm I don't have any working relationship with anyone other than the guy I sold my investment business to. I am fully retired ...
:?
Vidi, vici, veni

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:50 am

Busterboo wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:18 am
Z4Rick wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 7:08 pm I don't have any working relationship with anyone other than the guy I sold my investment business to. I am fully retired ...
Have you ever seen the character 'Michael Paine' on the Fast show busterboo? If not google him....just saying.... :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu May 18, 2017 12:47 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:50 am
Busterboo wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:18 am
Have you ever seen the character 'Michael Paine' on the Fast show busterboo? If not google him....just saying.... :thumbsup:
I just went back and read the post with a Michael Caine accent :lol:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Thu May 18, 2017 4:27 pm

I really don't 'get' the Michael Paine reference, but that guy does a great Caine, (a YOUNG Caine, anyhow.)

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Z4Rick wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:27 pm I really don't 'get' the Michael Paine reference, but that guy does a great Caine, (a YOUNG Caine, anyhow.)
It's to Busterboo, not you Rick. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29