Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aluminum Flywheel for E89 Z3 35i? Where to find and experiences?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon May 22, 2017 11:21 pm

Valor1 wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 10:57 pm As for fitting the flywheel, perhaps that's why they put it up for sale? Too daunting an undertaking for them :(
I think I know who he bought it from and for that person (kristian).... its definately not too daunting, as he has a build motor.
Fitting a flywheel or clutch is all in a days work for an average mechanic, so it requires average mechanics skills.

If you think the bleedscrew will be a pita, you're in for a surprise to remove the gearbox itself..
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:09 am

GuidoK wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 11:21 pm
Valor1 wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 10:57 pm As for fitting the flywheel, perhaps that's why they put it up for sale? Too daunting an undertaking for them :(
I think I know who he bought it from and for that person (kristian).... its definately not too daunting, as he has a build motor.
Fitting a flywheel or clutch is all in a days work for an average mechanic, so it requires average mechanics skills.

If you think the bleedscrew will be a pita, you're in for a surprise to remove the gearbox itself..
Well, actually, when you remove the gearbox you prepare yourself for a job that is going to take hours and involve heavy lifting. I've done them before on other cars. However, when you think of bleeding a slave cylinder you approach that sort of job thinking its pretty quick and easy....which it is except from other forums it is apparently nearly impossible to get a wrench on it.

I'm surprised there aren't more hardcore enthusiasts that would have done such a straightforward modification already. I have had several cars where we installed Fidanza and other aluminum flywheels (Porsche 993 Twin Turbo, Z8, etc.)

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Tue May 23, 2017 12:55 am

Valor1 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:09 am
Well, actually, when you remove the gearbox you prepare yourself for a job that is going to take hours and involve heavy lifting.
I dont know about the heavy lifting, I always use a transmission jack :roll:
However, when you think of bleeding a slave cylinder you approach that sort of job thinking its pretty quick and easy....which it is except from other forums it is apparently nearly impossible to get a wrench on it.
Its in a normal spot for a rwd roadster. Its nearly impossible on other forums because they are filled with non professionals that lack any hands on experiece. Its not ment as a non technical end user adjustment.
This bleedscrew is the least of your problems if you're swapping clutches.
I'm surprised there aren't more hardcore enthusiasts that would have done such a straightforward modification already.
Those hardcore enthusiasts here drive e85, not e89 :poke: :rofl:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:12 am

GuidoK....all good points. I've actually had to muscle transmissions before....transmission jack is not something I have at home :(

According to other forums, it's a real PITA....here's a video where a young guy actually cut a wrench to create his own tool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGlt_NtPzp0&t=2s

I guess I am not hardcore anymore...I really appreciate the SL quality interior of the E89 Z4 and that for about a grand or so I can get well over 400 hp and still have a six speed manual gearbox. :oops:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Tue May 23, 2017 3:10 am

I'm having a hard time to believe that the required size is 7/16" what he says tbh on a german car, and the way he describes bleeding a clutch is also not correct. That is the correct bleeding procedure for a brake caliper.
On a clutch slave cylinder you let the clutch spring remove the fluid and not the pedal. He's now only removing air from the line but any air in the cylinder if present wont be removed.
These are basics you have to understand if you want to do a job like this.

I also dont understand why he didnt use a socket to open up that bleeder if he didnt have a flexhead wrench or crowfoot. I mean he doesnt use a bleederhose to collect the fluid. There are multiple options to tackle this minor problem....
He doesnt strike me as the most competent mechanical genius tbh.
At least he didnt waste a good tool. A 7/16 wrench is best destroyed if you're in to bmw's :rofl:
those yanks.... :roll:

and if you dont have a transmission jack you shouldnt be changing gearboxes. Sure it can be done but its far too heavy to even come near any H&S regulations to lift it that high. Especially a 6 speed (and with an automatic or dsc its sheer impossible unless youre hulk hogan).
A transmission jack costs 80 quid or so. Thats nothing compared to the price of your tools or carlift or garage/workshop.

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:26 pm

GuidoK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:10 am I'm having a hard time to believe that the required size is 7/16" what he says tbh on a german car, and the way he describes bleeding a clutch is also not correct. That is the correct bleeding procedure for a brake caliper.
On a clutch slave cylinder you let the clutch spring remove the fluid and not the pedal. He's now only removing air from the line but any air in the cylinder if present wont be removed.
These are basics you have to understand if you want to do a job like this.

I also dont understand why he didnt use a socket to open up that bleeder if he didnt have a flexhead wrench or crowfoot. I mean he doesnt use a bleederhose to collect the fluid. There are multiple options to tackle this minor problem....
He doesnt strike me as the most competent mechanical genius tbh.
At least he didnt waste a good tool. A 7/16 wrench is best destroyed if you're in to bmw's :rofl:
those yanks.... :roll:

and if you dont have a transmission jack you shouldnt be changing gearboxes. Sure it can be done but its far too heavy to even come near any H&S regulations to lift it that high. Especially a 6 speed (and with an automatic or dsc its sheer impossible unless youre hulk hogan).
A transmission jack costs 80 quid or so. Thats nothing compared to the price of your tools or carlift or garage/workshop.
Yes, the kid is a newbie (good natured one) but he's green. I like the video because it shows me what I'm up against before I get there. There are other videos and discussions of this on other forums....all say it is a PITA. Yes, bleeding slave is the same for bleeding brakes. Get a rubber tube and attach to small catch can and pump and bleed. Problem with a socket is you can't have a socket and bleed tube on at the same time.

I will try the valve delete option and see how much that helps. Otherwise an aluminum flywheel and short shift kit may be next on the list.

scootr

Post by scootr » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:44 am

After much research... I know what and how a DMF is and works but, it seems once I learned what the function was of the weighted flywheel, what the benefits were of a lightened flywheel, and where the happy medium was in which materials ..... (phew) .... I then learned all this good stuff is not readily available for the lowly 3.0 E89 :x
So I'm leaning towards a refresh of original function using LUX parts. With a couple of minor mods.
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:21 am

Valor1 wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 4:58 pm Hi!
I find the clutch / flywheel feel on this car to be the main detractor from a more direct feeling sports car feel. I want to replace the dual mass boat anchor with lightweight clutch and flywheel assembly. I'm surprised there does not seem to be anything out there for this car (I have a 2009 SDrive35i).

Anyone know of a good one? Has anyone tried tried it? Thanks!
I know this is an old thread but in case you are still chasing the solution then the biggest improvement you can make to responsiveness on the N54 is to remove the throttle dampening in the ECU. The throttle dampening table was found earlier this year by comparing the ECU data with that of the 1M.

You need a custom map created to take advantage of these tables as they are not something many tuners have access to.