Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Has anyone tried the VRSF High Flow Silicone Inlet Intake Kit? Is it worth it?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:41 pm

For $250 I can purchase the VRSF OEM Location High Flow Silicone Inlet Intake Kit. Is it worth it? They claim it adds 60 hp???

I am in the process of making these modifications to my car.

JB4
catless down pipe
uprated intercooler
Ignition Coil Update/upgrade
Chargepipe
Dual Cone Air Filters

Is the Silicone Inlet Intake Kit worth it? Has anyone here tried it?

Any guess as to the HP with these modifications?

Thanks!

Matt64

Post by Matt64 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:44 pm

If an air intake (any intake) makes 60bhp then it must be magic, actual magic, that is.
You might make 5 or 6 ponies but the car will probably 'sound' faster.
2004 Merlot 3.0i SE. Pretty sure I'd rather drive it than polish it.
1993 Mk1 Mx5 S-LTD Home brew turbo conversion. :fuelfire:

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Matt64 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:44 pm If an air intake (any intake) makes 60bhp then it must be magic, actual magic, that is.
You might make 5 or 6 ponies but the car will probably 'sound' faster.
Does sound too good to be true but turbo motors are a bit different from normally aspirated ones so ya never know. Here's the dyno sheet from their website.
Attachments
INLET SILICONE PIPE Z4.jpg
INLET SILICONE PIPE Z4.jpg (65.48 KiB) Viewed 1046 times

Matt64

Post by Matt64 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Not wishing to rain an your parade.
Once upon a time I bought all this stuff. I spent a small fortune, generally speaking parts lived up to maybe less 10% (generous estimate) of manufactures' claims. They want to sell stuff, it's the nature of the beast.
I do have plenty experience with turbos, mapping & dyno testing btw. That sheet doesn't really show anything conclusive. Perhaps they just turned up the boost/gain threshold. In which case all it is telling you that the intake is able to maintain that level of flow, not produce it.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed May 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Proper BS this. Air intake kits are proven to add very very little.

Tumnus

Post by Tumnus » Wed May 24, 2017 9:27 pm

With a turbo you've already got forced induction, a kit may make it breathe a little easier but about 5bhp is the most you'll get from it.
CC retrofit, LUX 180 Angel Eyes, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, BMW Performance Grilles, LCI Indicators, Remus exhaust, SmartTOP

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickj1972/albums

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed May 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Tumnus wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:27 pm With a turbo you've already got forced induction, a kit may make it breathe a little easier but about 5bhp is the most you'll get from it.
I'd be amazed at that even... most tests show no to -ve benefit.

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:38 am

Interesting.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:58 am

Filters will have little to no effect on power but replacing the air intake piping has a proven benefit on this platform, that dyno will be legitimate, plenty of owners with upgraded pipework that can show you increased airflow data, lower times on drag slips and higher dyno readings. The benefit of this mod is that it reduces restriction so you get more airflow with less stress on the turbos, a real win/win.

The 60whp gain is based on cars running high boost, not stock vehicles. If you are into modding you need to start reading elsewhere for your information. Try BimmerBoost for N54 discussion. While you are there look into the downsides of the JB4, especially on a vehicle with a DCT transmission.

You can also upgrade the turbo outlets for additional performance gain. On RHD vehicles the gains are even larger as the turbo pipework is bent around the steering shaft.

Tumnus

Post by Tumnus » Tue May 30, 2017 11:33 am

Just noticed that dyno isn't from a stock car, which makes it a little misleading to your average Joe who thinks they'll get 60bhp gain on their standard engine. If your going for large power gains you'll also need to factor in injector flow ratings, clutch, charge temps, and EGT on turbo engines - it can get expensive!
CC retrofit, LUX 180 Angel Eyes, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, BMW Performance Grilles, LCI Indicators, Remus exhaust, SmartTOP

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickj1972/albums

Matt64

Post by Matt64 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:00 pm

The 60bhp increase is not coming from the intake it's from the other mods then. EBC settings etc. An uprated or repositioned intercooler would make more sense IMHO.
If you think the intake piping is restrictive, take it all off and stick a cone filter straight onto your turbo inlet, or onto a short hose attached to the turbo inlet if room is tight. You'll be able to see a dyno'd difference (if any) straight away, with zero restrictions and virtually zero outlay.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:06 pm

Matt64 wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 3:00 pm The 60bhp increase is not coming from the intake it's from the other mods then. EBC settings etc. An uprated or repositioned intercooler would make more sense IMHO.
If you think the intake piping is restrictive, take it all off and stick a cone filter straight onto your turbo inlet, or onto a short hose attached to the turbo inlet if room is tight. You'll be able to see a dyno'd difference (if any) straight away, with zero restrictions and virtually zero outlay.
You might change your mind after seeing what the inlets look like on a RHD 35i/s :rofl:

The data is out there. Flow comparison charts from plenty of sources. This one is impartial enough, these are LHD inlets, ours are worse: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthread.p ... post639306 (Post #15)

Matt64

Post by Matt64 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:31 pm

It's true! I can honestly say I am not familiar with the Z4 turbo engines, I'm only applying general turbo logic, which I'm sure (Hoping :-D.) must be in the ball park somewhere :D

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:37 pm

R.E92 wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 5:06 pm
Matt64 wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 3:00 pm The 60bhp increase is not coming from the intake it's from the other mods then. EBC settings etc. An uprated or repositioned intercooler would make more sense IMHO.
You might change your mind after seeing what the inlets look like on a RHD 35i/s :rofl:

The data is out there. Flow comparison charts from plenty of sources. This one is impartial enough, these are LHD inlets, ours are worse: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthread.p ... post639306 (Post #15)
Thank you!!!! This was extremely helpful.