Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Red warning light dash, what does this mean?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:19 am

Hi

The following light appeared mid driving.

The red circle with the explanation mark and the red check vehicle symbol

Does anyone have any idea what this is? Reading online seems to indicate brake fluid but i can not find this symbol in the manual.

Thanks!
Last edited by sunnydays on Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Red warning light, currently pulled over what does this mean?

Post by markplant » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:31 am

Is it brake pad warning
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:44 am

Red lifts means something is overdue and need immediate attention, red exclamation triangles are usually brake related, fluid, sensor, pads etc.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:45 am

Ewazix wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:44 am Red lifts means something is overdue and need immediate attention, red exclamation triangles are usually brake related, fluid, sensor, pads etc.
Been through all servicing lights and all are not due for a long time yet. 2018 for most and many miles for the brakes

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:30 am

sunnydays wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:45 am
Ewazix wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:44 am Red lifts means something is overdue and need immediate attention, red exclamation triangles are usually brake related, fluid, sensor, pads etc.
Been through all servicing lights and all are not due for a long time yet. 2018 for most and many miles for the brakes
Sorry my bad, I should have said "something is overdue or needs immediate attention" and as you guessed the triangle thingy usually refers to brake related issues. You really need to get a code reader on it, it could be as simple as a dirty/dodgy sensor connection.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:31 am

Could be the sensor wasn't changed with the pads, or has worn down unevenly
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:50 am

Just got home guys, popped the hood and can see that the brake level fluid is a touch below min. Probably the cause of the issue which lines up with what I read online

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:45 am

Good that you found that - but now the issue is why? For me I'd need to get underneath and inspect all of the brake lines, especially around the calipers for signs of leakage etc.

Fluid will only go down if it's got somewhere to go. (Hopefully it's just taking up the slack as the pads wear - but you have to know).

Some places do a "free" brake check. Never used it but from the Halfords website:-

"Our free brake check covers all components in your car brake system. Our ATA-trained technicians look at brake pads, shoes, callipers, hoses, discs, and handbrake linkages.
If brake repairs are required, we'll let you know why, and we'll advise you of costs upfront."

Tell 'em to look but don't touch!

Post by sticky » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:51 am

bob4333 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:45 am Good that you found that - but now the issue is why? For me I'd need to get underneath and inspect all of the brake lines, especially around the calipers for signs of leakage etc.

Fluid will only go down if it's got somewhere to go. (Hopefully it's just taking up the slack as the pads wear - but you have to know).

Some places do a "free" brake check. Never used it but from the Halfords website:-

"Our free brake check covers all components in your car brake system. Our ATA-trained technicians look at brake pads, shoes, callipers, hoses, discs, and handbrake linkages.
If brake repairs are required, we'll let you know why, and we'll advise you of costs upfront."

Tell 'em to look but don't touch!
Them or Kwik Fit, but same applies LOOK BUT DO NOT TOUCH, otherwise they go ahead on the premise your car is unsafe

vester86

Post by vester86 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Fluid Goes down When the brake pads wear out, so probably no need to look for a leak. Unless you are experiencing other brake issues offcourse, but i guess not

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:27 pm

sunnydays wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:50 am Just got home guys, popped the hood and can see that the brake level fluid is a touch below min. Probably the cause of the issue which lines up with what I read online
Did the top up sort it?

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:16 pm

buzyg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:27 pm
sunnydays wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:50 am Just got home guys, popped the hood and can see that the brake level fluid is a touch below min. Probably the cause of the issue which lines up with what I read online
Did the top up sort it?
Left the car with my mechanic, will update once its back. Cheers