Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How do aftermarket springs improve handling?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:51 pm

The only other time you might notice a difference is when you come to sell it and your prospective buyer or dealer salesman asks "What's wrong with the suspension?".
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Not been explicitly said before, but fundamentally you just need to understand what effect any modification will have. Any change to a component from that which bmw specified will be a compromise in some aspect of how the car performs. Stiffer springs will compromise grip in extremis on more bumpy roads as the damper will not be tuned to the revised spring rate, and will not be able to keep the tyre in contact with the road for as long as an appropriately tuned, softer spring and damper set up.

Power gives springs will drop the roll centre of the car however and generally a firmer setup will be more transparent near the limit on a smoother road. Essentially you are creating a narrower operating window for the setup. Which is absolutely fine provided you understand this is what you're doing.

I appreciate this is an e89 thread, but for my part I daily my coupe on the B12 setup (B8 sprint dampers and matched Eibach springs), and yes it is without doubt firmer, but the advantages become obvious when travelling at speed, and on smoother road surfaces and track. Which is exactly what I wanted. I can deal with the minor jigglyness on the commute as a result :)
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

pHilli0

Post by pHilli0 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Subjective stuff really. Eibachs on my Z4M were a bit better than stock imo on road and a fair bit more stable on track. But the transformation came with the KW coilovers. but the e89 has years and years of BMW dev time and money and lesssons so I would guess the gap is smaller. The brakes on later and current Ms are so much better than the crap on the E46 M3 generation. But some will say they love the brakes on the Z4M lol its very personal
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe || Schrick CSL Cams | Eventuri | Brembo 6/4 & Pagid RS-29s | KW V3s | H&R ABRs | Stromung | ARC-8s | Corbeau Revolution | OEM Strut | ZHP | Stubby | CDV | RTAB | Evolve Map ||
http://www.phillynchracing.com/index.php/blog/

David-H

Post by David-H » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:43 pm

I find that the Eibach front & rear stabiliser set (ARBs) that I fitted to my 35i make a noticeable difference to handling / cornering - much better! I fitted the recommended Eibach springs at the same time and am very happy with the results but don't know if the outcome is as a result of the combination or the individual changes.
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:51 pm

David-H wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:43 pm I find that the Eibach front & rear stabiliser set (ARBs) that I fitted to my 35i make a noticeable difference to handling / cornering - much better! I fitted the recommended Eibach springs at the same time and am very happy with the results but don't know if the outcome is as a result of the combination or the individual changes.
Are you on adaptive shocks David?
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

David-H

Post by David-H » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:07 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:51 pm
David-H wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:43 pm I find that the Eibach front & rear stabiliser set (ARBs) that I fitted to my 35i make a noticeable difference to handling / cornering - much better! I fitted the recommended Eibach springs at the same time and am very happy with the results but don't know if the outcome is as a result of the combination or the individual changes.
No, not adaptive John.
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:14 pm

David-H wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:07 pm
john-e89 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:51 pm
No, not adaptive John.
Ah ok, that makes more sense then thanks.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:31 pm

alex wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:28 am Do they make the car less crashy at all? Definitely something I wouldn't mind improving on mine, tends to get unsettled easily as well, but 19" wheels definitely don't help....
No I wouldnt say so, I am having some Michelin P4S Tyres fitted shortly, I will update you if these make the car feel any more settled