Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

JB4 Issues

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jonnoh2017

JB4 Issues

Post by Jonnoh2017 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:10 am

Hi all,
I have a Z4 e89 35i - Sdrive 7 speed

Installed the JB4 a couple of weeks ago now.

All seemed fine at first, running Map 1 with twin cone filters fitted.
However in D it would sometimes surge on part throttle accel through the gears, in S or M using the paddles this woudnt be such an issue.
My thoughts are the JB4 are better suited to the Manual boxes.
That was my first observation, has any other DCT driver experienced this ?

Second issue has come after installing the Evo 2 Wagner FMIC over the weekend.
It runs well and pulls hard but the blinkers flash and it goes to stock mode after a few wot runs.

Somethings a miss, anyone with any experience that can give me some pointers to start with to check ?

Thanks,

Jon

R.E92

JB4 Issues

Post by R.E92 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:16 am

The JB4 is antiquated and you should have done more research on tuning solutions before putting such a device in your car. The JB4 is passable for a manual car but still sub-optimal, on a DCT it's idiotic.
I would advise you remove and sell the JB4 before you roast the DCT clutch packs and end up with a transmission that slips.

If the JB4 is kicking you back into Map 4 then the chances are you are running lean or are overboosting. You need to log your engine parameters to find out what is wrong.
Running lean would indicate your fuel pump is shot which is very common and overboost would be down to bad wastegate control on the turbos which has several causes which are also all very common. You won't know what the cause is without log data.

Jonnoh2017

JB4 Issues

Post by Jonnoh2017 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks for your response R.E92, and for adding a new word to my mental dictionary ;-) "Antiquated" nice!.

I did carry out a fair bit of research and was lead to believe the JB4 was a pretty robust solution for tuning, giving a more flexible option if i changed more hardware later on, also was informed some aftermarket tuners compromise on some of the pedal map so they aren't as thorough with there tune.

I can remove the Jb4 unit no worries and sell, what would you suggest is the best way to log the data, what software are people using that works the best ?

I'm based in Milton Keynes , are there any firm favourite tuning companies for mapping ?

Thanks,
Jon

R.E92

JB4 Issues

Post by R.E92 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am

You can log with the JB4 but having never used one I don't know the exact process. I think it may involve running a USB cable into the engine bay or purchasing extra hardware.

Personally my recommendation for tuning is MHD Flasher for the N54 engine. I've been involved with the app since it was in its earliest stages and would use it without hesitation. The standard maps offered in the app are better than anything a UK tuning outfit would be able to produce.

I have quite a low opinion of garage tuners on this platform. Some of the more old-school chaps like to use a shop with a dyno but unless the guy tuning the car is an expert on the N54 engine he will just be using a standard one-size fits all map with a few tweaks to boost control. You will get more power and refinement from the standard "OTS" maps in MHD than a garage tuner will get after an afternoon of dyno tuning.

If I had to pick anyone in the UK to tune my car I would probably go with Evolve as they have a very good reputation. They will be more limited on what they can achieve because certain functionality requires the custom code implemented by MHD Flasher.

Jonnoh2017

JB4 Issues

Post by Jonnoh2017 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks for your response.
So have you got any experience with MHD on DCT vehicles ?
In my eyes it sounds like I am removing an expensive module with comprehensive testing, for a cheap app to map my car?

If there is a lot of talk / info on this app I am happy to read up, but I'm a little sceptical and cant find much myself at the moment.

Many thanks,

Zikim

JB4 Issues

Post by Zikim » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Jonnoh2017 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:51 am
I can remove the Jb4 unit no worries and sell
Give me a shout, I will buy it off you :D

R.E92

JB4 Issues

Post by R.E92 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Jonnoh2017 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:54 pm Thanks for your response.
So have you got any experience with MHD on DCT vehicles ?
In my eyes it sounds like I am removing an expensive module with comprehensive testing, for a cheap app to map my car?

If there is a lot of talk / info on this app I am happy to read up, but I'm a little sceptical and cant find much myself at the moment.

Many thanks,
I don't know where you are searching for info but you are doing something wrong. Go to google.com and search for "MHD Flasher N54", more then enough reading there.
I've been using a flash tune of sorts on my DCT 35i for the last 3 years. I started with a Vishnu OFT and then migrated to MHD as soon as it was developed. I run my own custom flash but have tried the MHD built-in maps and they are unbelievably good for a "Off The Shelf" solution.

Also feel free to google "JB4 with DCT" or "why are piggybacks inferior to proper tunes?". Take care not to read too much into anything posted on N54Tech.com, it's a forum owned by the developer (Terry) of the JB4 so has a certain moderated bias. Terry is a very knowledgeable man but he tows the company line and will say anything to sell units. When I initially contacted him regarding the JB4 performance with a DCT he told it was no issue, now he recommends that you use MHD to flash the car with a tune to prevent clutch slip :rofl:

You really need to understand what each tune does before you apply it to your vehicle. JB4 was great when N54 ECU tuning was in its infancy but things have changed and most people have moved across to MHD. Some still use JB4 for meth integration but it has largely been superseded.

I think I've said all I can on the subject. This topic has been done to exhaustion across the web, you just need to spend some time searching and making your own decisions on the wealth of information out there. E90Post and Bimmerboost are both great sources of information for N54 tuning.

Twin Turbo

JB4 Issues

Post by Twin Turbo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:55 pm

If you connect your laptop to the JB4 and do some Power runs - 3rd gear and through the full rev range.

When you collected the logs send them over to Burger Motorsport, and wait normally for 24 hours for a response.

Also R.92 in the matter is spott on