Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Have you done a track day in your E89

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:30 am

Joycey wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:29 am I'm quite surprised more people don't track them. They are a serious bit of kit.

@twin turbo I was on a soggy brands hatch last night and found the coupe amazing.

Fancy Castle combe next month? group of us going.
Interestred, we talk about it on Sunday :driving:

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:28 pm

"They are a serious bit of kit. "

Totally agree. I have tracked my 35i 8 separate times at Summit Point, a 2.5 mile circuit in WVa. well known to sports car racing since the 60's. Once one demonstrates competence, solo, 'Open' driving is allowed on open days, and that's where the lap improvement really takes place. Since beginning, I have shaved considerable time from my lap times and am now routinely passing Spec Miatas, older 911s, a host of BMW sedans and lesser powered Mustangs - but, have a LOT left to learn - which is what keeps me coming back! I use an app named RaceChrono on my cell, mounted in the front windscreen and it is an amazing tool for lap racing. I hook it up with internal phone GPS, internal phone camera and I use my Carly bluetooth adapter to feed it data. When done a session, I can view playback of each lap with synced info that shows a video of the lap thru the camera, a google Earth map of the track with moving track, and a moving graph of a host of engine parameters including, elapsed time, speed, Revs, lean, acceleration, temps, etc. It is an awesome tool since review of a specific lap can teach you much about improving skill and times.
Attachments
IMG_8723.JPG
IMG_8723.JPG (146.76 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
IMG_0821.JPG
IMG_0821.JPG (98.82 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
IMG_8592 copy.jpg
IMG_8592 copy.jpg (81.06 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
IMG_9371.JPG
IMG_9371.JPG (104.64 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

extaz

Post by extaz » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:37 pm

I am very envious. Bought it with the intention of doing some track days but the car is just so damn nice. I need inspiration and encouragement. Please keep us posted. Nice photography too, it is a beauty.

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:58 am

Once you feel you know the car pretty good - for me, it was about 20,000 miles - I'd encourage any owner to look at an "Intro High Speed Driving" day at a track, if for no other reason than to reach out and touch the other half of what resides under the hood. It comes perfectly track-capable as a stock 35i, and is an absolute competitor, (if that's where you wanna go), that can be amped up with all the usual mods, but that's a road I am determined not to flirt with.
Actually, I found most racers to be like me. They want to do well as they can, and be competent in the car at high speeds, but want to drive home and to work the next morning too. Besides track time is not cheap and tires and gas is gonna be a permanent budget item...but I won't lie to you...It is an absolute blast. There are these moments when you just 'Get it', and you realize some capability the car exhibits in some situations can be harnessed, and you pick up .3 second a lap. It is very different than many of us would suspect, and much harder than just picking thru apexes on a deserted road. My speeds on the track went from 30 to 135 with a 2.5 mile course that features a ten turn track with a short straight and a 1.2 mile monster straight that has a tricky hairpin entry, uphill hairpin exit. Its a whole new driving skill and I am having a terrific time getting mediocre at it.
You got a great car for it, and you'll see Elises and Porsches and Ferraris mix it up with Audis and BMWs, Jags, Mercs and Toyotas and Mazdas - and none of those owners want anything to happen to them either, so it's friendly at a well run track.

Just Do It!

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:08 pm

I thought I would share some of my experiences on tracking my car, I must say running stock suspension and run flats - was an experience combined with my inexperienced hands - had a few twitchy moments. And must confess I was more scared than enjoyment - as this is my daily driver.

However, with greater experience and some improvements to the car, I am no longer a mobile roadblock to quite progressive in my option. :rofl:

First time at Donnington
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Y6fx1pQyM

Second Visit at Donnington
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n7gLJg7ACk

Third visit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3vt7eAnHS8&t=30s

It is great fun - and its so much safer to drive to the extreme - rather than public roads.

A typical track day is around £250-£300 per day,
I use two tanks of fuel per day
I replace brake pads every two track days
I MPS 4's have lasted me 4 track days and 12,000 miles
Although my car insurance includes unlimited track days for £450 for 12 months - including all my mods.
However, best modification you can have is tution!

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:39 pm

Twin Turbo wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:08 pm I thought I would share some of my experiences on tracking my car, I must say running stock suspension and run flats - was an experience combined with my inexperienced hands - had a few twitchy moments. And must confess I was more scared than enjoyment - as this is my daily driver.

However, with greater experience and some improvements to the car, I am no longer a mobile roadblock to quite progressive in my option. :rofl:

First time at Donnington
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Y6fx1pQyM

Second Visit at Donnington
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n7gLJg7ACk

Third visit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3vt7eAnHS8&t=30s

It is great fun - and its so much safer to drive to the extreme - rather than public roads.

A typical track day is around £250-£300 per day,
I use two tanks of fuel per day
I replace brake pads every two track days
I MPS 4's have lasted me 4 track days and 12,000 miles
Although my car insurance includes unlimited track days for £450 for 12 months - including all my mods.
However, best modification you can have is tution!
An interesting thread. I really want to take my e85 to the track but I am prioritising new alloys and tires first.

Can I ask who you are using regarding insurance? Mods and track time... sounds like it would fit my criteria.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:55 pm

I used both Javelin and BMW Club:

Javalin is generally busier - the first hour I normally miss out as there always a red flag event.

BMW Club is less busy, but probably better atmosphere

Regarding insurance I use https://manninguk.com/ and the £450 is social domestic, business mileage + unlimited track days

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks. I'll look into them as I'm up for renewal relatively Soon and want to get some zed track time under my belt
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S