Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What would you do to upgrade to another Z4

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:36 am

Hi there !

Ive never been a sensible buyer, always on impulse and live for the moment ... but luckily never owned a lemon.

Always paid up cash, always from franchised BMW

Then I pay it off myself back into my bank account monthly ...

Now I currently own a lovely 2010 Z4 sDrive 23i non m sport DSB, nappa white leather package, iDrive, FSH, around 78k miles

By December I would have paid the car off( as in I topped up my bank account with the cash I used to buy it for ) and currently paying £65 for extended BMW warranty and £500 a month to pay the car off, so just an idea how much I put aside a month in terms of cost.

I'd love to upgrade to a newer LCI version either 28i 35i or even 35is

This time though I'd shop around instead of just buy one I like after a couple of views...

So if you can afford £500 a month on a car, what would you do to get max value?

Drain the cash from my savings, top it up monthly ?
Get a loan in low interest, buy the car with it straight?
Buy it on a Dealer finance ?
Go franchise dealer again and get a year approve warranty out of it ?
Buy a good z4 say from this forum, then purchase bmw approved used?
Trade in my old z4 if franchise purchase ( I assume at that mileage I won't get much and lose money)?
Sell my old z4 privately, use my bike and take my time to buy another ?

Thank you and please guide this impulsive buyer to be more sensible, since you guys here I've seen grab some sensible bargains !

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:20 pm

I will be in a similar position next year.

I plan to sell my Z4 privatley, its really an immaculate car so would hope the depreciation isnt too bad.
Full BMW service historry etc.

I will always buy from a main dealer, as they are supposed to diagnose and fix all the complex issues, plus if you buy from a small dealership and the roof breaks, they will kick up a fuss over the 6K required to fix it! Main dealer will just get it done.

I shopped around for a year looking for mine, main dealers have good prices in winter on Z4s, so personally I would keep an eye out, but plan to buy around then.

In terms of finance, Tesco have some very good rates, but shop around for low interest loans and have the money ready before you go looking.

Someone had actually applied for finance on my car before me, but I said I would pay cash and they let me have it. So, it can be the difference between getting the car you want, and not.

If you have savings, then even better in terms of interest, but a low interest loan is good value, and may let you get a better car.

So to sum up, my advice is to sell in summer privatley, (higher sales price) then sort out your finances, then look to buy in winter.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Savings in the bank / Building society / Isa etc = 0.5% compare that to a loan at 5%
Spend disposable savings an pay yourself back is my thinking.

I don't think you can win on the summer Sell v winter Buy - you will be without a car over the summer months !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:57 pm

As always it's horses for courses.

If you can use your own cash and don't need any for a 'rainy day' then it is usually the cheapest way to go particularly as the bank interest rate is currently pants. Even low interest rate loans will cost more in interest than the interest you lose on your own cash.

However, over, say, a three year duration you could see something like 5% pa growth if you put your cash into stocks and shares particularly if you have headroom in ISAs - this is always a risk but doing this against a low interest loan or dealer finance can be beneficial. It also depends on your marginal tax rate for income but CGT shouldn't be a problem for the amounts here if outside an ISA.

If you have the funding then there is no need to sell the car before buying another as long as the double tax/insurance isn't a massive hit - then again you could SORN the car until you sell it.

It is almost impossible on an Internet forum to advise sensibly without full knowledge of an individual's financial position. As I said, it's horses for courses.
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:07 pm

The last paragraph is the clincher! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 pm

I think "ronk" has summed it up well - without full details it is hard (and maybe inappropriate) to offer advice!

In 2014 I had no work-related reason to keep running a diseasel, so when I got the chance to take a pension early with a bit as a tax-free cash lump sum that is what I did (yes, I know, I'm old)! So I bought the E86 I'd always wanted and sold my 123d - one of my better ideas! :lol:

Not sure I would want to upgrade from my E86, seeing as the only Coupe option is an M - which is a bit scary! :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:17 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 pm . . . . . . yes, I know, I'm old . . . . . . Not sure I would want to upgrade from my E86, seeing as the only Coupe option is an M - which is a bit scary! :)
Pah, I disagree, one should grow old as disgracefully as possible and upgrading to an 'M' seems absolutely the right thing to do! :evil:
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:25 am

All down to personal choice & preference as we all have widely differing views but as you are asking for how others would do it here would be my next 3 moves from your position op .
Sell current car for around £11k
Contact john-e89 & dangle £25k in front of him for his virtually new 35Is
Borrow £14k over 3 years off Tesco at £406 month ( total repaid £14600 ) the £600 in interest charges you have saved by not paying inflated dealer price :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:09 am

Consider leasing, brand new car every 3 years or so.
Dont go to BMW, shop around independent lease companies and then play them off against each other to get a good price.

If you are buying new it also pays to approach lease companies as they sell off new cars if they are not leased in a certain period of time at huge discounts.
Example, my brother bought a spanking new M5 a month ago from a lease company. He took it straight to BMW for a part ex price and they quoted him more than he had paid for it by several thousand pounds!!!!!!

ching ching
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

benv6

Post by benv6 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Many members and cars in this forum are well known and usually their cars are very well kept and have the right upgrades so if you do your homework and buy from the forum then it would be very unlikely to buy a lemon. from what I have seen cars from KNOWN members of this forum are much better kept than dealers - You have to keep in mind that this is an open forum and you do get outsiders/dealers trying to flog their cars in here.

But on the down side, the cars that you are looking for 28i/35i/35is are a real fun to drive and enthusiasts find it difficult to move on to another car and in my opinion this is due mainly to the power/economy ratio as the 28i/35i/35is are one the rare supercars you can use as a daily driver without feeling the pinch in your wallet, and therefore they don't come up very often and even if they come up at the right price then they will go within a matter of days or hours. When I was in the market, good examples for the right money were going in no time and I missed out on a few. For example my 35i came up for sale at 9pm and 10am next day it was mine

Regarding finances I am exactly the same, I just use my own money as I don't believe in financing a luxury unless it is on 0% (Even at 0% I might think about it and I definitely should have the cash for it in my saving acc). But again everyone sees it differently !
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Quick cars they are but super cars they are not.

A golf R is as quick as the 28/35 would you call that a super car? No

A 500hp mustang? Still no.

Supercars are extra special in ways our cars cannot match.

That said, you are right, esp the 6cyl cars, they're special and enthusiasts love them.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:46 pm

As previously said it totally depends on your budget but for my last three Zeds I have always done the same. Buy new, buy the best you can afford and always get the dealer to buy the car and register it in their name. You buy it from them 'second hand' and at a discount as they claim back the VAT. National dealerships tend not to do this for you but I saved £10K on the present one.

Good hunting
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Garvin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:17 amPah, I disagree, one should grow old as disgracefully as possible and upgrading to an 'M' seems absolutely the right thing to do!
I agree with getting old disgracefully, but I'd have to get a job if I wanted an M. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:38 pm

Re growing old disgracefully, while in hospital this week there was a chap I spoke to while in the ward, who was nearly 80 - he owned a fairly recent Masseratti - 4.2l V8 with some special Ferrari gearbox - he said how he enjoys caning it and using the flippers!
Top marks to him !
Oh and he'd just had a heart attack but getting fixed up with stents and things. - but giving up wasn't even a consideration !

Now that's what I call growing old disgracefully.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:59 am

£500 per month self imposed payback to savings. Clearly the best finance option if you won't need the money under any eventuality in the short term

As an aside that level gets you into the next league of cars if you want. F- type for instance - just saying :)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills