Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Run Flats to Michelin Pilot Sports.....Wow

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:02 am

Just upgraded from the stock run flats to Michelin MP4S......

One word:

WOW, the ride is so much smoother, so much more responsive and complacent over bumpy roads. This literally has transformed the car, makes me realise how much the stock run flats nerf the handling and comfort of these cars....

Anyone on the fence, just do it.....

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:38 am

sunnydays wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:02 am Just upgraded from the stock run flats to Michelin MP4S......

One word:

WOW, the ride is so much smoother, so much more responsive and complacent over bumpy roads. This literally has transformed the car, makes me realise how much the stock run flats nerf the handling and comfort of these cars....

Anyone on the fence, just do it.....
Did the same during first week of ownership.
Didn't drive it long enough on the runflats to get the "Wow" effect but not had a cracked 326 alloy in 3 years on a car that had several replaced by previous owner.
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

Chris22091966

Post by Chris22091966 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:52 am

I did the exact same upgrade myself, couldn't agree more with your comments. Some top tips from the forum too, in terms of gel, pump, etc in case of a puncture.
Z4 Facelift, 3.0si auto, silver convertible - now gone, but remembered fondly

Z4 E89 20i M Sport Sapphire Black

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:25 pm

I won't be going MPSS again. They did improve the Ride but at year 3 they're badly cracked and have poor dry and wet grip compared to the original (back end let's go at full whack even in third) runflats I had on (bridgestone)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:24 pm

Maniac wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:25 pm I won't be going MPSS again. They did improve the Ride but at year 3 they're badly cracked and have poor dry and wet grip compared to the original (back end let's go at full whack even in third) runflats I had on (bridgestone)
Get some miles in :driving: Then you won't have to worry about them cracking. :P

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:40 pm

I'm about to do this, what Michelins are most suited to every day driving?

I'm looking for an upgraded in grip etc but I don't fancy changing them every 5k miles!!
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:41 am

Maniac wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:25 pm I won't be going MPSS again. They did improve the Ride but at year 3 they're badly cracked and have poor dry and wet grip compared to the original (back end let's go at full whack even in third) runflats I had on (bridgestone)
Michelins:
"badly cracked"! How old are they? What pressures are they?
"poor dry and wet grip"! How much tread do they have? Are they standard profiles on stock suspension?

For Michelins to be poor "compared to" Bridgestone RFTs is amazing. :dizzy:
Vidi, vici, veni

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:10 am

Busterboo wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:41 am
Michelins:
"badly cracked"! How old are they? What pressures are they?
"poor dry and wet grip"! How much tread do they have? Are they standard profiles on stock suspension?

For Michelins to be poor "compared to" Bridgestone RFTs is amazing. :dizzy:
Do you actually read any of the posts you constantly like to pick at like a pain in the ass sad neighbourhood watch curtain twitcher? It says 'year 3'.

This constant nit picking you do is bloody pathetic, it wouldn't be as bad if you got your facts right but 9/10 times you don't. If you're going to act so high and mighty and beyond reproach, you need to be perfect yourself...and that is as far from the fact as it's possible to be.

You're also picking at a long time member who gives accurate advice and information to many members on here, he's very very knowledgable, something you might have researched before your idiotic holier than thou rambling.
Last edited by john-e89 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:16 am

You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:25 am

Maniacs post would also give me some cause for concern. My car only does about 5k/annum and not often driven like I've stolen it - so if the tyres will be knackered and starting to crack after only three years they will not be suitable for my Germany trips!

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:51 am

Did you use them in winter weather? Or summer only?

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:47 pm

Strangely it used to be runflats that would crack across the tread of the tire, sometimes after only 12 months from new. I can see on the E89 going from Bridgestone RF to MPSS would be like night and day, I used to find the ride on my old E89 pretty intolerable on RFs. I had MPSS on my replacement M135i and they are undoubtably superb in the dry, a nice sticky tire but a pain when new for attracting stones as they are quite a soft compound. Flying stones was really bad so returned to RFs on my M140i with adaptive suspension and more than happy with them.

Tim.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:58 pm

A tiny amount winter use for General
Maintenance of the car but mainly summer (given they're summer tyres), normal use and I take good care. Tread is at 4.5mm average at 3 years.

Never had any tyres, summer or not, crack as these have. All four show the same.

Wet grip is poor and dry grip at stock setup wheels and power is just average with squirming at WOT past 3rd.

As mentioned I'll be trying something else next. The Pirelli set (edit: P Zero) I had before were better.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Were they the set you bought from the dealer ?

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:48 pm

MPSS and Pirelli were both new tyres in date from a local tyre place.