Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Run flats

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Hellequin

Run flats

Post by Hellequin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Just got a z4, and run flats drink fuel, are noisy and expensive. Is it ok to go for non run flats?
59 plate sDrive23i 2.5

ibroker

Run flats

Post by ibroker » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:51 pm

Your not allowed to mention runflats on here as it has been discussed to death. The consensus is they are rubbish. Put some normal rubber on and it transforms the ride. Car works better without them.
Z4 35is Valencia Orange. Custom Quad Exhausts Custom 400hp Remap. :evil:

clarker63

Run flats

Post by clarker63 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:51 pm

there's lots of advice on this forum about non run flats and the advice appears to be almost 100% in favour of replacing tem. do some searches and you'll see.... :D
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

mcbutler

Run flats

Post by mcbutler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Hellequin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:33 pm Just got a z4, and run flats drink fuel, are noisy and expensive. Is it ok to go for non run flats?
Go to black circles web site and get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4, best rated performance tyre of 2016-2017.
I have them fitted and they are truly amazing, quiet with a category A wet grip.
GEt them delivery only, usually takes a day or two and then get them fitted locally (cheaper than buying the fitted deal).

Buy yourself the slime puncture repair kit, comes in a small pouch with tyre sealant and a compressor, you can find it for around £25 on Ebay
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

GBZ4

Run flats

Post by GBZ4 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:42 pm

ibroker wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:51 pm Your not allowed to mention runflats on here as it has been discussed to death. The consensus is they are rubbish. Put some normal rubber on and it transforms the ride. Car works better without them.
I've run on RFT on a 1 series, 3 series, 5 series, 6 series, Z4 and currently on a 4 series and have never had issues, Chinese whispers can have a lot to answer for :wink:
2016 E89 18i Roadster - gone and forgotten

benv6

Run flats

Post by benv6 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:34 pm

GBZ4 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:42 pm
ibroker wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:51 pm Your not allowed to mention runflats on here as it has been discussed to death. The consensus is they are rubbish. Put some normal rubber on and it transforms the ride. Car works better without them.
I've run on RFT on a 1 series, 3 series, 5 series, 6 series, Z4 and currently on a 4 series and have never had issues, Chinese whispers can have a lot to answer for :wink:
Not Chinese whispers at all and from experience, It is an established fact that RFTs are rubbish. I have just changed mine to non RFT, at first I didn't notice any difference (Coz of the Bedding) but now and after 200 odd miles it is like night and day and it was a lot worse on a previous e85.

RFT Confort, Handling and ride quality are mediocre and I think you just get used to it !! If you drive the same car with different tyres you will notice the huge difference.

But again you are an Arsenal supporter, you just get used to it don't you. It is more like if you compare Real Madrid vs Arsenal (Non RFT VS RFT) :rofl: :poke:
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage

GBZ4

Run flats

Post by GBZ4 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:48 pm

But again you are an Arsenal supporter, you just get used to it don't you. It is more like if you compare Real Madrid vs Arsenal (Non RFT VS RFT) :rofl: :poke:

Insults as well :P

Well as usual I guess it's 2 ends of the same stick, some folks become drawn and others don't. Let's just leave it and say each to his own. :thumbsup:

sw4nny

Run flats

Post by sw4nny » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:15 am

Does also depend on which brand of run flat Bridgestone crap Michelin alot better :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Busterboo

Run flats

Post by Busterboo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:32 pm

You obviously have a lot of BMW & RFT experience and your comment about Chinese whispers obviously makes a lot of sense. However, is it the case, perhaps, that your use of RFTs has been for 'normal' and not 'sports' driving?

I have only 35iS & RFT experience, but my Bridgestone RFTs were bad to the point of being dangerous - dramatic & frightening tramlining at high speeds, for example - and so bad that I was on the point of selling the car. This experience, albeit limited, was not a matter of Chinese whispers.

Very fortunately, I binned the RFTs and am now very happy with the car. Very happy, indeed.
Vidi, vici, veni

GBZ4

Run flats

Post by GBZ4 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:32 pm
You obviously have a lot of BMW & RFT experience and your comment about Chinese whispers obviously makes a lot of sense. However, is it the case, perhaps, that your use of RFTs has been for 'normal' and not 'sports' driving?

I have only 35iS & RFT experience, but my Bridgestone RFTs were bad to the point of being dangerous - dramatic & frightening tramlining at high speeds, for example - and so bad that I was on the point of selling the car. This experience, albeit limited, was not a matter of Chinese whispers.

Very fortunately, I binned the RFTs and am now very happy with the car. Very happy, indeed.
If you mean, sports as in 'wiggly roads' and 'spirited driving' then 'yes' I've experienced this in all my previous BMW's.

I'm not doubting your personal experiences and I'm not saying that RFT's are perfect. I just don't understand how all BMW's fitted with RFT's are considered 'dogs'. Yes, the E85/86 with RFT's were known to be unstable with these tyres fitted.

However, my E89 Roadster isn't and as far as I'm concerned has yet to demonstrate any of the characteristics I've read about. Perhaps the 'M Sport' model is susceptible to these charteristics and BMW did make a mistake using RFT's but I do find that hard to believe.

Speak as you find and all should be well, this is never going to be resolved and it will continue being debated ad nauseam.

Enjoy your 35iS as I'll enjoy my 18i :driving: :thumbsup:

Busterboo

Run flats

Post by Busterboo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:12 pm

2017 F32 Alpine White 440i M Sport Plus with M Performance goodies
:thumbsup:
Vidi, vici, veni