Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

1.8i or 2.0i MSport 2014

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Twin Turbo

1.8i or 2.0i MSport 2014

Post by Twin Turbo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:45 am Hi the 2.8i has 30mm bigger front discs.

Various tuners can get the 18/2.0/2.8 to over 260bhp with remaps

The common issue in all cases is thermo dynamic stress....all the engines have identical cooling systems and induction systems.

Also although on paper 265bhp is less than 280bhp on the road many other factors mask those issues, type of gearbox, driver technique, sport mode vs comfort etc etc

So a 1.8 debadged and ECU mapped is more driven by the goodies on board.

The cited design expectation for all these N20 engines is 150k miles.

There is an exponential decay factor to life expectancy based on how often/how long these engines operate over 280bhp / 320 ft lb torque

As usual there is a spread of probabilities of when and if an engine will let go over these limits.

The usual I smoke 60 woodbines a day and it doesn't do me any harm.

The I.8inhas some cosmetic and minor equipment changes (brain damaged) as we in marketing call it..if you can live with those or have upgrades for these then the 1.8i is a no brainier IMHO

Also for reference all the 4 pots are around 70kg lighter than the 6 pots with the engine weight nicely behind the front axle.

The massive reduction in polar moment of inertia wii improve handling and the reduction in mass will improve initial acceleration by around 5%

The spec you show with adaptive m sport suspension with 296 should yield good handling and comfort if you have non run flat tyres...

All IMHO... 8)
Well put :thumbsup: , with a few modifications you are able to completely transform any N20 based car.

However I would like to note, the tone of this forum is changing - as 3 yrs ago the mention of an 4 Pot - received ridicule. And especially insinuating that they are quicker or better handling than some of its 6 pot cousins.

petrolhead

1.8i or 2.0i MSport 2014

Post by petrolhead » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Attitudes are changing and more people are considering running costs now

So although the active suspension is good, for a 50k mile car is it worth avoiding?

Pbondar

1.8i or 2.0i MSport 2014

Post by Pbondar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Sophisticated components by defintion will be painful to replace. Dampers will tire over time. 50k miles in that context is in the 'it could happen tommorrow, it may never happen' range of probabilties.

Personally I would go for it, if it works out that its a waste of time, if they fail,lyou can replace them with fixed rate dampers.

I have never driven a MSport with variable damping, journos who have, who seem to write cogently otherwise, give praise to them, the system masking what seems to be a universal loathing for the ride qualities of the Bridgestone run flats fitted as OEM.

Again with so many variables its impossible to predict how you, with your views and with whatever driving style and areas of operation will think.

I think the universal truism seems to be for Z4 owners is:

I made a decision, if I knew then what I know now, I would have chosen differently.

For the really sad bunnies out there, thats why you see 2,3,4 Z4s on their history..

Again IMHO...

Pbondar

1.8i or 2.0i MSport 2014

Post by Pbondar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Twin Turbo wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:12 pm
Pbondar wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:45 am Hi the 2.8i has 30mm bigger front discs.

Various tuners can get the 18/2.0/2.8 to over 260bhp with remaps

The common issue in all cases is thermo dynamic stress....all the engines have identical cooling systems and induction systems.

Also although on paper 265bhp is less than 280bhp on the road many other factors mask those issues, type of gearbox, driver technique, sport mode vs comfort etc etc

So a 1.8 debadged and ECU mapped is more driven by the goodies on board.

The cited design expectation for all these N20 engines is 150k miles.

There is an exponential decay factor to life expectancy based on how often/how long these engines operate over 280bhp / 320 ft lb torque

As usual there is a spread of probabilities of when and if an engine will let go over these limits.

The usual I smoke 60 woodbines a day and it doesn't do me any harm.

The I.8inhas some cosmetic and minor equipment changes (brain damaged) as we in marketing call it..if you can live with those or have upgrades for these then the 1.8i is a no brainier IMHO

Also for reference all the 4 pots are around 70kg lighter than the 6 pots with the engine weight nicely behind the front axle.

The massive reduction in polar moment of inertia wii improve handling and the reduction in mass will improve initial acceleration by around 5%

The spec you show with adaptive m sport suspension with 296 should yield good handling and comfort if you have non run flat tyres...

All IMHO... 8)
Well put :thumbsup: , with a few modifications you are able to completely transform any N20 based car.

However I would like to note, the tone of this forum is changing - as 3 yrs ago the mention of an 4 Pot - received ridicule. And especially insinuating that they are quicker or better handling than some of its 6 pot cousins.
Like all things in life its a bit more complex than the simple high level headline..

I think the 6 pot is a fantastic engine, if they did a V8 version even better, V12 better still!

In my life I have many times gone for the logic if x is good then x+ must be even better.

However I have had many bikes and cars where x+ simply overwhelmed the balance and harmony of the x version.

Tricks like getting 50+ more BHP for no negatives defy that logic, but when x+ costs more in weight, operating expense, purchase price, handling then its not so obvious that x+ is better.

At the end of the day it is what floats your boat; a Z4 by defintion is a 101% emotional decision, cost effectiveness /ratioanality do not apply.

Back in the days when lots of us had nice company cars, I left my highly paid job and had no car...I drove my mothers Kia 1.3 Pride.

I actually got more enjoyment out of that overtaking Porsches (albeit momentarily) then I ever did out of my Audi A7 Quattro with two turbos..

Must go, degenerating into philosophy..

petrolhead

1.8i or 2.0i MSport 2014

Post by petrolhead » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Sometimes it's nice to get the best out of what you have, very rewarding

Pastry

1.8i or 2.0i MSport 2014

Post by Pastry » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:04 pm
petrolhead wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:01 pm Thanks for great bit of info

How good is the adaptive suspension i.e. Comparison to the std m sport suspension?
It seems to be more prone to leaks than the standard set up & bmw charge a ludicrous amount per damper of over £600 I've heard :cry:
Rob
I believe they are in the £750 region each! they wear out like any other damper so it's not a case of 'if' they'll need replacing but 'when'. That would be enough to put me off a car (unless it was really cheap) with them fitted with 50k on the clock, jmo though
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i