Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ok people time to help (laugh at) sad_old_man?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sad_old_man

Post by sad_old_man » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Ok its time to prove my stupidity once and for all. Once upon a time you bought a car and it had certain necessities that came with it........ like brake fluid? You checked the level on a regular basis and topped the fluid up where necessary which amounted to once a week in the early days of motoring. Having bought an M3 convertible brand new and kept it for three years, an X5 4.4 Sport brand new and kept it for two years and finally an M5 brand new and kept it for three years I have now just bought a 64 Reg Z4 3.5is from Swansea. Having called into my local BMW dealers Lloyds in Blackpool to ask what additional equipment the vehicle had fitted over standard the nice man in the service depth asked me for my key. He then told me the car had been serviced 2000 miles ago and was registering no problems (a relief)? He then announced that the car needed to be booked in for the brake fluid change??????? So this along with several other queries brings me here to ask (beg) those long suffering Z4 owners for some insight into what are these new fangled cars called BMW's all about?

1. What is wrong with the brake fluid they use when it constantly needs changing?
2. For those who have not seen the photos of my Z4 3.5is some buffoon has stuck a very bad imitation Msport badge on the boot next to the Z4 sign. (see attached photo) Please tell me how to remove it without damaging the paintwork? It seems to have some form of white double sided tape sticking it to the bodywork?
3. Please tell me how to remove the smile from my face which mysteriously appears every time I drive my Z4?
~1499456240~IMG_20170705_1521174.jpg
~1499456240~IMG_20170705_1521174.jpg (299.08 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

MJJamieson

Post by MJJamieson » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs water so need changing every 2 year regardless of mileage, to remove the badge use tooth floss to slice through the adhesive backing.
2004 E85 Z4 2.5i SE Sterling Grey.

sad_old_man

Post by sad_old_man » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:07 pm

MJJamieson wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:04 pm Brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs water so need changing every 2 year regardless of mileage, to remove the badge use tooth floss to slice through the adhesive backing.
Thanks for the help but what about the residual bits of adhesive tape stuck to the car?

csquire4

Post by csquire4 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:10 pm

Nice car. On point 2 I have heard people use a hair dryer to carefully heat up the badge and hence soften the glue and then use fishing line to 'serate' it off. Rubbing with a little bit of nail varnish remover will remove any residual glue.
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

sad_old_man

Post by sad_old_man » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:12 pm

csquire4 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:10 pm Nice car. On point 2 I have heard people use a hair dryer to carefully heat up the badge and hence soften the glue and then use fishing line to 'serate' it off. Rubbing with a little bit of nail varnish remover will remove any residual glue.
Not sure about the nail varnish remover but thanks. I keep looking at it and its truly pis***g me off!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:51 pm

sad_old_man wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:12 pm
csquire4 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:10 pm Nice car. On point 2 I have heard people use a hair dryer to carefully heat up the badge and hence soften the glue and then use fishing line to 'serate' it off. Rubbing with a little bit of nail varnish remover will remove any residual glue.
Not sure about the nail varnish remover but thanks. I keep looking at it and its truly pis***g me off!
FIne looking rear, but you are so right to get rid of that monstrosity stuck to it. :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:55 pm

wd40 will remove the residue :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:55 pm

Car wax /polish will remove the residue once the badge has been put in the bin ,
Nice looking Z . Welcome :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Welcome..

No 1 - As above..

No 2 - Dental floss, and then WD40 :)

No 3 - Still trying to find the answer to that one myself :)

Mike

Northotheborder

Post by Northotheborder » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:59 pm

To remove the badge, boil water in a kettle and pour over the badge. The hot water will soften the glue and you will then be able to pull off the badge. To remove any residue use a little methylated spirit, spirit wipe or surgical spirit on a soft cloth.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:32 pm

sad_old_man wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:00 pm
3. Please tell me how to remove the smile from my face which mysteriously appears every time I drive my Z4?
The magistrate can do that for you! (With a fee of course)

It's oh so easy to push on in the 35is and be lulled into three figures !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:37 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:32 pm
sad_old_man wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:00 pm
The magistrate can do that for you! (With a fee of course)

It's oh so easy to push on in the 35is and be lulled into three figures !
:rofl:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:46 am

Please tell me the dealer isn't going to charge you for the brake fluid change. If you have only just bought the car it should have been done. Unless it has a service pack and then they tend to wait until it really is due.

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:31 am

My 35i is coming up to 3 years old and a brake fluid change is due in November on it's birthday.

The car has told me so and it was also on the BMW 5 year service agreement and MoT guarantee that I took out when I bought it. As already mentioned brake fluid is hygroscopic so has happily been absorbing moisture from the air and is likely to boil due to heat generated by the pads at a time when you most need your full braking effort. A process that may not have a happy ending. :(

But if you're in for long term ownership (and I've found this car to be very addictive) the hidden benefit is that the brake caliper bleed nipple threads should be eased during the process. These have been known to seize if ignored and anyone that's had the sickening feeling of a nipple thread going soft and then shearing can also tell you what a PIA it is to get it fixed.

And it's a lot more than the cost of a fluid change.

sad_old_man

Post by sad_old_man » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:14 pm

srhutch wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:46 am Please tell me the dealer isn't going to charge you for the brake fluid change. If you have only just bought the car it should have been done. Unless it has a service pack and then they tend to wait until it really is due.
You got it in one............. £118.65 to be precise!