Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

replacing air filter

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Punter

replacing air filter

Post by Punter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:14 am

Is it worth spending £60 on a 'high flow' air filter (K&N)? Do they make a discernible difference? Views/experience welcome, as always.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

replacing air filter

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 am

Punter wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:14 am Is it worth spending £60 on a 'high flow' air filter (K&N)? Do they make a discernible difference? Views/experience welcome, as always.
Hi, I can hear the turbo a little more on my car but didn't notice anymore shove-I just like the brand :)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

replacing air filter

Post by flybobbie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:31 am

I have K&N on a 23i.
Seemed to make a slight difference.
Just washed and re-oiled. Could tell when too much oil on it. So washed again.
Also good idea to clean the air mass flow sensor in case any oil gets on that.
Not sure though that an oiled filter is really any good long term.
The dust will just get stuck to the filter, where as at least with paper, the larger particles just might fall to the lowest part of the filter and not block it.

GBZ4

replacing air filter

Post by GBZ4 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:16 am

IMO I'm not sure there is a noticable difference other than audible. The fact that an oiled filter will require regular maintenance, the frequency of which, depends on he environment you drive in really doesn't give sufficient reward. :D
2016 E89 18i Roadster - gone and forgotten

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

replacing air filter

Post by Ewazix » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:37 am

2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

bob4333

replacing air filter

Post by bob4333 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:33 am

Tried K&N once on another car and made not a scrap of discernible difference, but very nicely made.

Also tried an oiled foam ITG as part of a rechip / new exhaust set up which gave about +10hp on a dyno IIRC. The ITG on it's own probably wouldn't have contributed much but was more "throatilly" noisy.

But in the end I thought why run the risk of compromising the MAF with risk of oil for such small gains? Went back to standard and got on with just enjoying the car.

I think what we get from BMW and others is a balanced approach to engine performance. It's designed as a complete entity which includes the air delivery system. Aftermarket filter companies make many claims but I'm not sure they amount to much in the real world other than a psychological benefit that "I've got something better". And if that works then why not? :)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

replacing air filter

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:43 am

bob4333 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:33 am Aftermarket filter companies make many claims but I'm not sure they amount to much in the real world other than a psychological benefit that "I've got something better". And if that works then why not? :)
Theres no way that any of the aftermarket companies have tried and tested every vehicle to make sure that its operating at its best.
I have K&Ns in our bikes but to be honest if I should have stuck with the manufacturers.
Although they claim to not need cleaned or re-oiled in xxxxxxxxx miles this is just wrong.
I have cleaned the filter in my bike a few times over the 10 years I have owned it and only covered less than 25,000 miles.
The filters do get really dirty and there is no way you could leave it in there without compromising performance.
The hassle of cleaning the filter is not worth it either and I will not buy another K&N for any vehicle.
They are really well made though.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)