Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Smart Top & Service

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Pipkin38

Smart Top & Service

Post by Pipkin38 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:07 am

Hi Chaps

I have a smart top module fitted to my 2011 2.3

The cars in the main dealers Friday for an oil service and I was wondering if I really have to disable the module before it goes in?

There's no Warranty on the vehicle so will they know it's there at all when they come to reset the service indicator?

Thanks in advance

Pip.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Smart Top & Service

Post by jamie_z4 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:14 am

Pipkin38 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:07 am Hi Chaps

I have a smart top module fitted to my 2011 2.3

The cars in the main dealers Friday for an oil service and I was wondering if I really have to disable the module before it goes in?

There's no Warranty on the vehicle so will they know it's there at all when they come to reset the service indicator?

Thanks in advance

Pip.

i dont know why you would want to? Especially if its out of warranty :?
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Tumnus

Smart Top & Service

Post by Tumnus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:30 am

I'd probably let them know you have one fitted, and explain the one touch operation so you've covered yourself in case of an injury, but that should be sufficient - though I'm not a lawyer!
CC retrofit, LUX 180 Angel Eyes, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, BMW Performance Grilles, LCI Indicators, Remus exhaust, SmartTOP

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickj1972/albums

mcbutler

Smart Top & Service

Post by mcbutler » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:44 am

Why on earth would you take it to a main stealer when its not in warranty?
Or even in warranty?????? :headbang:
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Zikim

Smart Top & Service

Post by Zikim » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:40 am

SmartTop recommend that you disable the module when it goes into being serviced (issue of possible damage to SmartTop software?). It takes less than a minute to disable it and the same to re-enable so why wouldn't you?

If someone in the garage was to accidentally press the cabin roof open button momentarily and the roof was damaged because of it, who would be liable?

Timdon

Smart Top & Service

Post by Timdon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:50 am

Just leave the boot tray up to disable the roof

Pipkin38

Smart Top & Service

Post by Pipkin38 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks for the swift replies

I'll plug the laptop in and disable it before it goes.

Oh and the reason it's going to a main dealer is because I intend to upgrade to a 35is in 2 years time so a main dealer full service history would be a plus point.

It's also only 150 meters from my front door and they'll pick up and drop it off washed and valeted.

Result all round me thinks?

Pip.

Zikim

Smart Top & Service

Post by Zikim » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:05 pm

Pipkin38 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:51 am Thanks for the swift replies

I'll plug the laptop in and disable it before it goes.

Oh and the reason it's going to a main dealer is because I intend to upgrade to a 35is in 2 years time so a main dealer full service history would be a plus point.

It's also only 150 meters from my front door and they'll pick up and drop it off washed and valeted.

Result all round me thinks?

Pip.
You don't need to plug the laptop in, just do the following from SmartTops operation instructions -
http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smartto ... 1.0/en.php

Programming:

All programming is done by using the two green turn signal (indicator) arrows (1,2) and the blinker stalk (3). Functions are indicated by the left arrow (1) and their settings are indicated by the right arrow (2).
Navigation is done by pushing the stalk down (next function) or pushing it up (next setting). After selecting the last function or function setting, the setup automatically jumps back to the first function / lowest setting. Each time either a new function is selected or a function's setting is changed, the arrows will indicate the new status by first blinking the function (left arrow) and then the current setting (right arrow).

To enter programming mode: Turn the ignition fully OFF, tap the unlock button on the remote once (to wake up the system), then within about 15 seconds push and hold the blinker stalk DOWN (only into the first position, not all the way!) until the left arrow blinks once to indicate function 1. Now let go of the stalk. From this point on you can navigate through the functions by pushing the stalk down and once the arrows are finished indicating the function and setting, change the setting by pushing it up. The new settings are active immediately.

To end programming mode, turn the ignition on. The programming mode automatically terminates after 30 sec. inactivity. End of programming mode is indicated by both arrows lighting up simultaneously for 1 second.

Pipkin38

Smart Top & Service

Post by Pipkin38 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Very much appreciated Zikim

Saves me charging the laptop.....if I could find it.

Pip.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Smart Top & Service

Post by ronk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Tumnus wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:30 am I'd probably let them know you have one fitted, and explain the one touch operation so you've covered yourself in case of an injury, but that should be sufficient - though I'm not a lawyer!
I did exactly that !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Smart Top & Service

Post by flybobbie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:52 pm

Would anyone care in two years time if a 2011 car had a had a full dealer service?