Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Intervals for spark plug changing.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
suttz83

Post by suttz83 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi,

Any ideas on what mileage intervals the spark plugs should be changed? Mine is a 35i.

Does an indicator pop up if they need changing (idrive CBS etc), or is it just a timing, mileage thing?

I'm not having any problems, I'm just working out what I need to include on the next service and getting some prices.

Cheers.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Not sure when BMW say they should be changed, I think it might be as high as 60,000 miles, but 2 years ago when we put our 23i in for a service we asked for the plugs to be changed as well. The service guy told us they were not due to be changed and we had to almost demand that they changed them while it was being serviced. This was at 38,000 miles and 5 years old.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Burple

Post by Burple » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Recommended replacement times for Mini are 70,000 miles, so I'd imagine it would be about the same.
On saying that, I had hesitation on acceleration under load (and speed!) with my JCW, and replaced the plugs at about 55k. It had eaten through the tip of one plug. If you think they should be replaced, why not do them? really shouldn't be a massive job (bigger if you have 6 cyl tho! :D :D :D )

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Burple wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:26 pm Recommended replacement times for Mini are 70,000 miles, so I'd imagine it would be about the same.
On saying that, I had hesitation on acceleration under load (and speed!) with my JCW, and replaced the plugs at about 55k. It had eaten through the tip of one plug. If you think they should be replaced, why not do them? really shouldn't be a massive job (bigger if you have 6 cyl tho! :D :D :D )
I had a very similar experience with our old Mini Cooper.
Cant remember what the mileage was and don't know if it was the original plugs or not as the car had 40,000 miles on it when we got it.
It was almost like a misfire while driving along if you came to a hill or tried to accelerate.
I thought I would start with the easy items after there were no faults showing.
After removing the plugs the gaps were huge, new plugs instantly fixed it.
It costs nothing to check the plugs just a bit of time and if you need or want to change its not hugely expensive with really no downsides.
Unless you snap a plug because it has been in there for 10+ years. Probably best they are changed early.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:36 pm

For spark plugs on the N54 engine you need to change them every other oil service to keep in line with the BMW servicing schedule.

Since they are cheap I just change them every oil service.

suttz83

Post by suttz83 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Thanks all for the input. Seems there is some difference of opinion on this.

There is no problem with my spark plugs and car is running perfect but having just got it I want to keep up with the correct service schedule. There is no mention in the book when they should be changed and nothing on the diagnostics comes up.

You say they are cheap, but I have had a quote to change them today for £155. Thats ontop of the big service and brake fluid change coming in at an already £375 from an independent garage. Thats not too cheap to me! I know the spark plugs can be easily changed by myself but then that doesn't get entered into the service book. If they need doing, then I will get them done but don't want to change them unnecessarily.

The current spark plugs were changed around 3 years ago and around 15k miles so they haven't seen a lot of action so far. The independent garage said they would inspect them first then advise if they need doing. However, if its inline with the service schedule then they will need doing.

Thanks so far.

Glyn

Post by Glyn » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Just had mine replaced for what appears to be the first time according to the service booklet. Done at the same time as the Oil service and Vehicle Check, car has done around 32k miles and will be 4 yeas old in Sep. Luckily I have the service inclusive package, they did the air filter as well and topped up the screen wash :driving:
2013 E89 SDrive35is - Melbourne Red
2005 E85 Alpina Roadster S Lux - Japan Red - SOLD

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:15 pm

I think there may be something wrong with the price your indy is quoting you.
2 years ago the service we had from a main dealer was oil and filter, air filter, pollen filter, spark plugs and MOT for around £460.
It is a 23i but surely theres not that much of a difference.
I would have expected an indy to be at least £50 cheaper than this.
When anybody says they are cheap its if you are changing them yourself. You could always change them yourself and stick the receipt in your service folder.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:18 pm

Yes, cheap to change yourself, not at a garage.

If the car has only done 15k since the last change then they will be fine.

suttz83

Post by suttz83 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:29 am

R.E92 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:18 pm Yes, cheap to change yourself, not at a garage.

If the car has only done 15k since the last change then they will be fine.
Yeah this is what I'm thinking too. 15k really isn't a lot of use out of a set. I think I'll just get the big service this time then change the plugs on the next service. I only really cover around 3-4K miles a year so they still wouldn't have done much but it's good to get them included in the service book.

I can't believe the quotes I've had to get the services done. So much money. I'd happily do it all myself but unfortunately it doesn't get those ticks in the book. That and for me it has to be done at an Indy as I am really picky who touches my cars. I don't really seem to have a good selection of independents in my area.

Thanks all for the input.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:19 pm

I pulled my 23i plugs and changed at 45k, but I would say they would have lasted 70k, looking at the wear.

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:30 pm

I've just recently changed mine in a E85, @57k.

They weren't bad to be honest but did have some wear but because they were due at 60k and the previous owner (thanks Dave) had already bought them I changed them.

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Here's a link to a page with some excellent step by step instructions and pictures ad well as some detailed advice :

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticle ... cement.htm