Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DCT M/S mode?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sunnydays

DCT M/S mode?

Post by sunnydays » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:27 am

Hey all,

So on the DCT we have the D,N,P,R options.

To the left we also have an M/S option.

Now I have never actually used the M/S option, I always just pressed the sport button.

I have just read online that you should be pressing the sport button with the M/S option for the best performance (allegedly holds the gears longer)

Does anyone have any insight in to this?

Reed20v

DCT M/S mode?

Post by Reed20v » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:30 am

So if i recall, the sport button tightens up the throttle response and the active suspension, whereas pushing the stick out to the left into m/s makes it hold a gear for longer, drop down more gears when pushing the throttle etc. Confusingly, the sport mode button will also hold a gear for longer...

Also if you start using the paddles in m/s mode it will stay in that gear until you change, whereas using the paddles in "D", the car will take over after a short while.

I stick with the sport button and use the m/s mode for manual shifting when....having fun, shall we say.

edit - i dont have a DCT in mine, its just a normal automatic gearbox but from what you've described the controls are the same.
E89 AlpineMineral White 28i M-Sport
Uniroyal Rainsport 3 XL's and a stubby aerial.
TODO - Wrap roof and bottom lip, POWWERRRR, pray it doesnt break.

Zikim

DCT M/S mode?

Post by Zikim » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:57 am

This official BMW document http://weblog.pac1.net/_Documents/14061 ... iption.pdf gives a good explanation of the E89 and on pages 74-77 explains the Sport function and also DCT & Auto box settings with the Sport button On/Off. On page 77 I think gearbox *1 is the normal Auto box and gearbox *2 is the DCT

djstan

DCT M/S mode?

Post by djstan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:06 pm

I find that in M/S, my car isn't quite so hesitant when pulling out of a junction - it's a bit more punchy :)
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

SteveSmith

DCT M/S mode?

Post by SteveSmith » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Sport mode in mine (ZF 8sp) only seems to make it louder, steering heavier, suspending firmer and throttle more responsive. Pushing the leaver to M/S then changes the way it keeps it in a lower gear and hold on to it till the red line.

I either drive in Comfort mode and D or Sport mode with the shifter in M/S and use the paddles.
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

SteveSmith

DCT M/S mode?

Post by SteveSmith » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:28 pm

What annoys me though is you can't turn off all the traction control and have it in sports mode. As soon as it turns everything off the throttle and steering go back to normal mode!
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots