Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sat Nav

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav

Post by ronk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:44 am

Got to Netherlands this morning and the sat nav map is stuck in the middle of the North Sea - BMW service have been sh1t - not impressed one bit!
This is the first time this car has been to Europe since built in August 2016.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Sat Nav

Post by pvr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:32 pm

Park up and have lunch. Engine needs to be off for some time before the satnav will check again.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Zed Five

Sat Nav

Post by Zed Five » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:58 pm

pvr wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:32 pm Park up and have lunch. .
The Dutch answer to most questions. :wink:
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Sat Nav

Post by pvr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:48 pm

Zed Five wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:58 pm
pvr wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:32 pm Park up and have lunch. .
The Dutch answer to most questions. :wink:
Indeed. The sun is shining as well.

If you are still stuck next week, I will rescue you as I will be back there again.

Also, you can pop in any dealer as you have European warranty (I guess you are near Arnhem as that is your usual stop. The dealer is in Velp, which is where I was born :D ).
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

R.E92

Sat Nav

Post by R.E92 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:31 pm

You can force the navigation system along with the rest of the CIC to reset by holding the power button until the screen goes blank. That should do the trick.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav

Post by ronk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:09 pm

I called into a dealer called " Poelgeest " in Amstelveen. Very helpful people - they tried but failed - after an hour on the old 1996 map book and lode stone, it sparked back into life.
I've lost confidence in the system now and more so with the assist people - Allianz (formally Mondial)
They laughingly refer to Euro Assist!!!
Certainly didn't assist me. I was left waiting for 4 hours before the jokers phoned and said "tough - we can't help! "

The destination was set pre boarding the ferry last night but it lose its marbles and locked itself in the North Sea. I'm sure my last z4 was ok when I did that same thing.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Sat Nav

Post by pvr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:41 pm

I always set the destination when I leave in the UK, and yes, when I get out of the tunnel the system is confused for about a minute or so, but certainly not a long time. It also thinks it is still in the UK - not in the middle of the sea.

With the abandoning of the roaming charges, you could use the Google maps as a backup though.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

NeilMick

Sat Nav

Post by NeilMick » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:18 pm

Loaded mine with the latest maps (2017-1) and used saves routes for 2000 miles in Europe last month. Sounds like something is definitely broken 🙁
Current - F31 330i & SLK 350
Previous - E89 35is
Previous E86 3.0si

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav

Post by ronk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:40 pm

Bmw assist were worse than bloody useless !
I have no confidence in their ability to help and had a politicians answer from one of their managerials last night!

I'm now in a sitiuation where I've lost all confidence in a system next time I drive abroad. Ie do I need new software or hardware ?

The last E89 I had was inch perfect as have been all the other cars system I've ever had so I've become reliant on them - then they break and I'm just not prepared !

The iPhone is set with google maps for the next few trips and I will try and get it talking thro bluetooth :thumbsup:

Update :- It worked for a while from SW Germany then lost position - it went back to about the starting point.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav

Post by ronk » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:52 pm

pvr wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:32 pm Park up and have lunch. Engine needs to be off for some time before the satnav will check again.
If the on / off button is held in for approx 30secs, the system will re start from the BMW screen. (Ref R.E92)

It didn't help in my situation .

The car is booked into the dealer on our return from the Euro trip.

As a footnote, Bmw Assist and Concierge service have been about as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike.
The concierge service gave me the address for a dealership in another country and were no help giving me directions to a dealership only 10 miles away when I had a kaput sat nav.
Last edited by ronk on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Sat Nav

Post by buzyg » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Time to buy an A to Z. Though I seem to recall the sat nav on the ///M worked just fine in Europe. Just cr#p in the UK. :?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Now the display unit won't open!

Well it almost a year old now and I suppose you can't expect these things to last forever! :rofl:

switched of then on again - all ok!
Last edited by ronk on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav

Post by ronk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:46 pm

When i got off the ferry this morning I took the car to the dealer who supplied the car. They identified the problem with the lack of sat nav.
Apparently the dealer who fitted the kit had cable tied the GPS signal wire to the existing GPS wire - all very neat and tidy but there was a conflict they say i.e. signal contamination. They have re routed and tell me its all ok now.

So for two weeks on holiday Ive been without the system because the dash cam installers mistake. (BMW main Dealer) They did tell me that they had never installed a system in an E89 and they did have a problem at installation. Ive been used as a guinea pig and its caused me some grief. I did phone them from the Netherlands to ask if the problems were / could have been in any way related to their work but they assured me not.

The service manager is to contact me tomorrow to discuss - what should I be looking at to compensate?

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav

Post by enzed4 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:58 pm

Not good that they didn't install the satnav correctly :thumbsdown: Not meaning to sound rude, but why do you think you need compensation? Other than an inconvenience, there was no actual damage or injury caused was there?
Perhaps its a cultural thing that I don't get - over here we tend to roll over and take it, more often than not :lol:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav

Post by ronk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 pm

A question is not being rude! :thumbsup:

There are UK consumer laws that relate to the standards of service and they certainly didn't meet those standards of competence.
I went on a motoring holiday into Europe and wasn't really prepared when the Nav didn't work - ok i was able to use the mobile phones display but it wasn't what i would have chosen to do.

I fully accept that things go wrong - we all make mistakes - but its how mistakes are corrected that counts. I gave the every opportunity to help or advise but they chose not to.