Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil Temp

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Oil Temp

Post by ronk » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:18 pm

After a 2nd & 3rd gear spirited drive up an alpine pass with outside temp 25° ish the engine oil temp rose to an indicated130°
I was suprised to see it rise this high from a normal 115/120 all within a 5 mile blast?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

willgill

Oil Temp

Post by willgill » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:55 pm

as long as it doesnt keep rising I wouldn't worry, you can alter the level of the cooling within the MHD app/map if it worries you, doesnt do your MPGs much good though!

EssexZed

Oil Temp

Post by EssexZed » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:33 pm

My 35is normally runs at an indicated 125c whatever the ambient temp is. There's another thread on this forum that discusses the "normal" oil temp for this engine and it appears that's it's pretty variable. I think what you describe seems to be within the realm of normal so I wouldn't be concerned. I watched a YouTube video of a 35is being taken to the max on an autobahn and the oil temp rocketed up well over the halfway mark :o

EssexZed

Oil Temp

Post by EssexZed » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:01 pm

EssexZed wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:33 pm My 35is normally runs at an indicated 125c whatever the ambient temp is. There's another thread on this forum that discusses the "normal" oil temp for this engine and it appears that's it's pretty variable. I think what you describe seems to be within the realm of normal so I wouldn't be concerned. I watched a YouTube video of a 35is being taken to the max on an autobahn and the oil temp rocketed up well over the halfway mark :o
I think I need to go to Specsavers :oops: I wrote my earlier post without checking the scale markers on the temp gauge and was convinced the midway number was 130 - of course it's 120! Therefore my car runs just under this at 115, not 125. In traffic it nudges up to 120.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Oil Temp

Post by ronk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:24 pm

In the uk mine runs up to 120 but on the heavy throttle run dash between the corners up the mountain (Belchen) it was showing 3/4 thro the next segment. Ambient temp about 22°c
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: