Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sold The E85, Bought An E89

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Rathean

Post by Rathean » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:47 pm If I was thinking of moving to an E89, a manual 35i would be my only option - enjoy. :driving:
Another vote for the E89 manual 35i, done nearly 30k in it now and lovin' the motor. Great choice OP :thumbsup: 8)
2011 X3 30d MSport black, 8-speed auto, leather everything
2011 Bimmer Z4 35i diamond black, 6-speed manual, full caboodle (hibernating) :driving:

Carmad84

Post by Carmad84 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:23 pm

nice car :driving:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Maniac wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:26 pm ..... As for more oomph, 300hp not enough? Mine squirms around already...
We all like to think we could handle more power but in reality it's the cars electronics that are massaging our egos in most cases?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:24 pm

Now with updates!
Having had this car for a little over half a year now, it's been utterly bombproof, nothing really to report other than conformation of how much more of a rounded package it is than the old E85.
Service time came around in January so the usual new oil and filters plus air filters of course, bled some fresh brake fluid through and gave the brakes a general tidy up with a lick of new paint. New spark plugs and coil packs were also fitted in preparation for a visit up to Evolve Automotive for their remap.
On the dyno the car averaged a very healthy 318bhp before remapping to 360bhp which has really brought it to life making the car much more enjoyable! Just needs something done about the rather tame exhaust now :wink:

And last but not least, I also fitted a new steering wheel from Jack at Royal as that was the only part of the interior showing signs of wear. Having been changed it really lifts the whole interior, very much worth the money :thumbsup:

Pics because it'd be rude not to;

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:37 pm

Nice, I like it :thumbsup:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:19 pm

Handsome car + power = what's not to like? :thumbsup:
Vidi, vici, veni

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:02 pm

Looking quick and 8) . Time for a Cornish run out. :driving:

Peter-E36

Post by Peter-E36 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:20 pm

Fantastic!

Congratulations, the N54 is a magnificent engine when looked after and capable of ridiculous power, although it really doesn't need more than it already has :p had a 335i before my current 3.0 E85 and I do miss that beefy low end torque. Do you have traction issues off the line?

I would've loved an e89 35i or iS but they simply don't exist on our shores and importing one warrants 11,000 euro import tax alone!!! So that quickly put an end to that idea :cry:

Do frequent oil changes (every 6k, as it's the same oil lubricating the turbos), avoid fuel with ethanol (to delay or hopefully avoid HPFP issues), and use injector cleaner once in a while (injectors getting clogged are a common issue on N54s and it might hopefully delay/prevent that) and make sure the electric water pump is changed / has been changed according to schedule and you're laughing :)

Enjoy it and please feel free to post as many pics as you like :D :driving:
E85 3.0i

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:38 am

Cheers! Some good info there Peter, I did the service at an 8000 mile interval however will look into doing it every 6000 as oil and filter takes about 30 minutes and doesn't exactly break the bank.
Regarding traction, the Pirelli P Zero runflats were appalling, in dry conditions after remapping they could only just handle full throttle in third. As all we get here is rain and they were becoming downright dangerous if not careful, I ditched them after about two weeks for a new set of Goodyear Eagle F1's as they were always superb on my old car.
In a straight line it'll now put all the power down in second in reasonable conditions so cant complain whatsoever :thumbsup:

The torque is what's really been an improvement after the remap though, 3000 - 4250 rpm is now a solid 400 ftlb so anywhere within that rev range and it'll really take off, you're probably right regarding the N54 having enough power already but I've has a string of cars that handle like they're on the proverbial rails so fancy something with more power than grip for a change hehe :D

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:48 am

buzyg wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:02 pm Looking quick and 8) . Time for a Cornish run out. :driving:
I'd certainly be up for that! Can usually rustle up a few friends with interesting cars/bikes too :thumbsup:

I managed to get caught up in some run over Dartmoor yesterday. Must've been organised as there were LOADS of cars, everything there from a Peugeot rcz to Lamborghini's, Mclaren's etc. Old Z4 managed to keep up surprisingly well with the F430 in front of me

Peter-E36

Post by Peter-E36 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Player 1 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:38 am Cheers! Some good info there Peter, I did the service at an 8000 mile interval however will look into doing it every 6000 as oil and filter takes about 30 minutes and doesn't exactly break the bank.
Regarding traction, the Pirelli P Zero runflats were appalling, in dry conditions after remapping they could only just handle full throttle in third. As all we get here is rain and they were becoming downright dangerous if not careful, I ditched them after about two weeks for a new set of Goodyear Eagle F1's as they were always superb on my old car.
In a straight line it'll now put all the power down in second in reasonable conditions so cant complain whatsoever :thumbsup:

The torque is what's really been an improvement after the remap though, 3000 - 4250 rpm is now a solid 400 ftlb so anywhere within that rev range and it'll really take off, you're probably right regarding the N54 having enough power already but I've has a string of cars that handle like they're on the proverbial rails so fancy something with more power than grip for a change hehe :D
Sounds good, I've just bought a set of eagle f1s to put on the e85, they're going on today hopefully!

I fitted a Quaife LSD to the 335i which made a huge difference, so much more grip but you can still have your fun whenever you wanted and it played very well with the factory traction/stability control. Would recommend it but I'm aware it's pricey enough so hard to justify if it's not something you really want. It's great that you got a manual, you don't have to worry about the gearbox as much when upping the power :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i

step_change

Post by step_change » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:31 pm

I upgraded from E85 2.5i to E89 35is, both autos. Whilst the 2.5i was good, the E89 is in another league and the performance is in another universe.
A much improved car that is much more comfortable with far fewer rattles and squeaks.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:40 am

Peter-E36 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:13 pm Sounds good, I've just bought a set of eagle f1s to put on the e85, they're going on today hopefully!

I fitted a Quaife LSD to the 335i which made a huge difference, so much more grip but you can still have your fun whenever you wanted and it played very well with the factory traction/stability control. Would recommend it but I'm aware it's pricey enough so hard to justify if it's not something you really want. It's great that you got a manual, you don't have to worry about the gearbox as much when upping the power :thumbsup:
Sure you'll like them! I've found them to have nearly all the grip of Michelin Pilot Sports but are nowhere near so loud and far more comfortable.

LSD's are looking very tempting to me at the moment, the simulated LSD thing it does with the brakes sort of works but it feels like it's a lot slower than a proper LSD. Sorting out the body roll and making up some sort of switchable exhaust are going to be top of the list for now though!
I do like the manual although I kind of get the feeling the car was designed around an auto :wink: footwell space is definitely tighter than the old car and I've accidentally clicked the idrive controller with my arm when changing gear on more than one occasion.
step_change wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:31 pm A much improved car that is much more comfortable with far fewer rattles and squeaks.
Good grief yes! The constant interior rattling is largely what drove me away from the old car, whoever designed those air vents should be fired. :rofl:

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Peter-E36 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:20 pm Do frequent oil changes ... every 6k ...
Modern lubricants don't need to be changed so often, hence BMW's wide service intervals.
Vidi, vici, veni

Peter-E36

Post by Peter-E36 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:31 pm

Busterboo wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:58 pm
Peter-E36 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:20 pm Do frequent oil changes ... every 6k ...
Modern lubricants don't need to be changed so often, hence BMW's wide service intervals.
I would still do frequent oil changes on an N54 as they run a lot hotter than other engines (normal operating oil temperature is around 120C and even higher if you're spanking it), and with the turbos using the same oil for lubrication - it's just not worth the risk.

I think BMW's service intervals are a bit ridiculous in general to be honest, and is partially responsible for the likes of the chain issues on the 2.0d engines, since everyone who had the chain issues and got replacements were recommended more frequent oil changes.

Just my 2c :)
E85 3.0i