Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Deal done collect Sunday

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)

Have you had any roof issues since owning your e89 z4?

Yes, fixed under warranty
11%
Yes, fixed at my cost
4%
No, but have had the odd glitch
6%
No, no problems at all
79%

Total votes: 47

Kugaman1

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by Kugaman1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:57 pm

Agreed a private deal (subject to view/drive) on a 20k 2009 2.3 sdrive.

Apparently car is immaculate with a mature owner, all Mot's, FSH, etc.
Mot check shows no issues at all since first mot, only 2 advisories in 5 years - worn rear tyres in 2012 and slightly perished front tyres this year. Nothing else at all.

Going to collect next Sunday.

Can't wait......my only worry is roof issues down the line..... there are lots of posts about roof problems, but is it just the usual trait of people publishing their issues on a forum, when no-one does that if they don't have problems! How many people on here have had no roof issues at all?
For those that have had issues, sorry, I'm not knocking the fact that you mention it here, As I said, nobody mentions a lack of problems so I'm trying to get an idea of numbers of roof fault free cars as a rough percentage!

Also, anyone tried any of the cheaper angel eye bulbs which give a very white rather than yellow light? I don't really want to have to fork out £200 for bulbs if a £30 set will do!

Can't wait to get back into a straight six, having owned an m135i a few years ago.
Also previously had an Elise, so really looking forward to open air motoring again!

Sorry for all the questions, will post up pics once she arrives and has been treated to a machine polish and ceramic coating.

Vonlipvig

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by Vonlipvig » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Welcome, I have a 09 23i, 68k on the clock. Only had it a year but no problems at all with the roof. Until I hit submit, then it will fall off for no reason
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Highlander

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by Highlander » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:33 pm

2year ownership with lots of roof down.......no problems

Kugaman1

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by Kugaman1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Thanks peeps, good to hear....cant wait for next Sunday!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by Maniac » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:43 am

OP there are only a few posts about roof issues. Given this is a well know forum against Tens of thousands of cars...

I've had a bit of a clunk from mine in 8 years, when it's been sat in 30c sun.

bob4333

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by bob4333 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:55 am

One minor roof issue at 18 months old (more just an annoyance really). Roof had developed a subdued rattle or squeak about 60 miles into a trip.

Mentioned it to the dealer at the car's first service. On pick up they told me they'd replaced some roof lining retaining clips. Thought huh, that can't be it. Been fine since (car's now 32 months old).

Other than that - great. As is the whole car.

Hope you enjoy yours. :D

Kugaman1

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by Kugaman1 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks again,
I'm 48 years old, married, have owned over 50 cars in 30 years (normally run 2 cars between me and wife) yet I'm getting sleepless nights in anticipation of getting the z4...... what's going on???

TonyP

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by TonyP » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:39 am

Kugaman1 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:09 am Thanks again,
I'm 48 years old, married, have owned over 50 cars in 30 years (normally run 2 cars between me and wife) yet I'm getting sleepless nights in anticipation of getting the z4...... what's going on???
Whoa, 50+cars :thumbsup: , I'm 4 years older than you & have counted up only 9 cars that have actually been registered in my name since I've been driving :( , there'd be more if I included cars belonging to wife's 1 & 2 but not a huge amount more.

Sorry I cant help with the E89 roof question.

Kugaman1

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by Kugaman1 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:13 am

TonyP wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:39 am
Kugaman1 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:09 am Thanks again,
Whoa, 50+cars :thumbsup: , I'm 4 years older than you & have counted up only 9 cars that have actually been registered in my name since I've been driving :( , there'd be more if I included cars belonging to wife's 1 & 2 but not a huge amount more.

Sorry I cant help with the E89 roof question.
No problems matey, thanks for your comments! I'm a bit of a petrol head, always have been.

Currently drive a new Kuga.....specced up to the hilt, but just don't like the thing.....wife drives a scirocco, really nice car.

Anyway as we both live within 2 miles of work, decided to try something different..... going for the Z4 as a weekends away toy, and have ordered a brand new Golf GTE so we can do all our weekly commutes in a single charge! Have to say, very very impressed with the Golf test drive, its a seriously intelligent car and the swap over from electric to petrol or the (GTE) combination of both is pretty imperceptible. GTE mode is pretty rapid for overtaking as well!

mcbutler

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by mcbutler » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:54 pm

Kugaman1 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:57 pm Agreed a private deal (subject to view/drive) on a 20k 2009 2.3 sdrive.

Apparently car is immaculate with a mature owner, all Mot's, FSH, etc.
Mot check shows no issues at all since first mot, only 2 advisories in 5 years - worn rear tyres in 2012 and slightly perished front tyres this year. Nothing else at all.

Going to collect next Sunday.

Can't wait......my only worry is roof issues down the line..... there are lots of posts about roof problems, but is it just the usual trait of people publishing their issues on a forum, when no-one does that if they don't have problems! How many people on here have had no roof issues at all?
For those that have had issues, sorry, I'm not knocking the fact that you mention it here, As I said, nobody mentions a lack of problems so I'm trying to get an idea of numbers of roof fault free cars as a rough percentage!

Also, anyone tried any of the cheaper angel eye bulbs which give a very white rather than yellow light? I don't really want to have to fork out £200 for bulbs if a £30 set will do!

Can't wait to get back into a straight six, having owned an m135i a few years ago.
Also previously had an Elise, so really looking forward to open air motoring again!

Sorry for all the questions, will post up pics once she arrives and has been treated to a machine polish and ceramic coating.
Dont worry about things before they go wrong Bud, just enjoy the car, next thing you will be worrying that you might kill yourself if you go to fast....

Chilax......
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Marbeck64

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by Marbeck64 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:14 pm

I've had my 2.3 sdrive for around 8 months now and no problems with the roof. Car is a 2010 and has around 60,000 miles on it so it's more than likely had the roof down a bit. I think I've got you beat on the amount of cars you've owned but only by a few. Also a bit of a petrol head myself. Enjoy your Z4, I love mine! :driving:
2010 BMW Z4 23i 6spd

Previous BMW's
2003 BMW 325iC manual
2006 BMW x3 3.0D auto
1999 BMW 328is manual
1995 BMW 318i manual
1986 BMW 325iC manual

Kugaman1

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by Kugaman1 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:39 pm

Marbeck64 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:14 pm I've had my 2.3 sdrive for around 8 months now and no problems with the roof. Car is a 2010 and has around 60,000 miles on it so it's more than likely had the roof down a bit. I think I've got you beat on the amount of cars you've owned but only by a few. Also a bit of a petrol head myself. Enjoy your Z4, I love mine! :driving:
Cheers matey! See your from Brid, Im originally from Hull and my parents live in Brandesburton!

We will be going down to see them in October and all being well, taking the Z4, so look out for me!

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:45 pm

The E89 roof system, although VASTLY more complex than that of the E85, appears to be holding up well in terms of reliability. Only see a very occasional post regarding an issue, the E85 on the other hand...

Mike

Kugaman1

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by Kugaman1 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks Ducklakeview, I hope I dont ever need to call on your services!!!

The_Dude

Deal done collect Sunday

Post by The_Dude » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:27 pm

Unfortunately I'm one of those that's had issues. Second owner, bought from a BMW dealer and it's been in twice in 3 years. Once was a simple software issue, the second was one of the microswitches. Luckily both done under the warranty.

Car ownership-some are good, some are bad. Hard to predict and not worth worrying about. Take precautions and cross the bridge when (if) it happens.
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.