Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Potential purchase - does anybody know this car?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Number Six

Post by Number Six » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:35 am

I won't be able to look at the car until the 18th due to work commitments but it is still on the to-do list, also need to prep my car for potential trade-in. I'll report back either way as the spec list is very good and it'd be a shame if it turned out to be a nail and one for your dodgy cars for sale thread.

And thanks, Kugaman1 - I feel welcome, very welcome indeed :D

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:57 am

:D
Glad to see your still onboard!

Number Six

Post by Number Six » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:05 pm

Still on-board, will be trading in a 2016 MX-5 if I do go for it. I think the Mazda will outhandle the Z but I'd like a bit more poke. I like the look of the S35i that WRS has up for sale but I'm loathe to pick one of these up without a warranty.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:44 pm

This is also the most powerful manual box car you can get in e89 guise. So if you like your manual box the 35is is not the one to go for.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Number Six

Post by Number Six » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:51 pm

The last auto box I had was in a 3.0 Ford Capri and 'agricultural' is probably the best word for it; I'm sure the BMW units are great but I'll stick with manual. I was particularly keen for it to have the adaptive suspension as it apparently does wonders for the handling.

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:53 pm

Hmm,
I'm not seeing the car online anymore?
Maybe it's gone?

Number Six

Post by Number Six » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:10 pm

It's been moved to a Sytner near me, refundable deposit placed so it's been removed from sale. Brother works for them so hoping for a trouble free transaction, I know there is a common problems thread but if there is anything pertinent to look for feel free to weigh in.

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Mines a 2009(59) 2.3 manual.
Done 23000 miles and apart from the odd roof rattle on rough roads, it's pretty much faultless.
Check in the boot under the carpet in front of the battery. That's where the hydraulics for the roof are. Any boot leaks could mean hydraulic faults and £££.

Number Six

Post by Number Six » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks, will definitely have the carpet up in that case. The waiting to drive it is not ideal!

Number Six

Post by Number Six » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:18 pm

Update:

I am now the owner of my first Z4. Picked it up yesterday at High Wycombe before immediately driving 300 miles north yesterday and another 200 miles further north today.

First impressions:

It's a solid old beast. The 2016 MX-5 I traded in for it felt like a bag of feathers in comparison. This thing brutes its way everywhere although handles surprisingly well for the extra half ton it weighs.

The engine is fantastic, I've had 4 pots for the last few years and this blows them out of the water completely, really have to keep an eye on the speedo. Had a VX220 turbo a few years ago and it gets to 60 in the same amount of time but runs out of puff at 70 - the Z just keeps on pushing.

It's equipped with runflats so they are going in the bin soon, and the bumper has a scratch that the body shop found which is being restated at my convenience as part of the deal. Very happy I made the jump, will stick up a new car thread once I've put a few more miles on it (provided I don't bin it in the Highlands). It has a few minor marks but it's an 8 year old car, can't expect perfection.

Thanks all for answering my queries, it was appreciated.

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Nice one mate!
I wasnt 100% sure about my purchase when hammering down the motorway in the p!ssing rain......until you get days like today when you can get out into the Scottish countryside with the roof down and smirk at the howl of the straight six......makes you love the car!

Its going to be a long winter :| ........

Lets see some pics once your settled with your new toy!