Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

replacing rear springs

adey

replacing rear springs

Post by adey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:49 pm

recently i had a mot and discovered i had 2 broken rear springs, so i had read on here it was fairly easy to do yourself so i set about doing it and took a few photos on the way first thing to do is jack the car up and remove the rear wheel make sure you use axle stands and don't work on the car with just the jack you then have to remove the bolt at the bottom of the suspension strut Image Image once that is removed you will need a long bar the best place to put this is in at the back of the spring carrier and then rest on the brake caliper Image you will need someone to push down on the bar while you get the broken spring out and to refit the new one.when fitting the new one i put the top rubber carrier on the spring and then after cleaning up the bottom rubber put that in place inset the top first and then you should be able to twist the spring on to the bottom one while someone is pushing down on the bar Image you do have to put a fair bit of weight on the bar to push the arm down to fit the spring in fact my misses stood on the bar for me to do it, once the new spring in you need to put a scissor jack under the hub to jack it up so you can put the suspension strut bolt back in Image then put the wheel back on torque up the wheel nuts and you are done here is a pic of the broken springs and one of a new spring next to a broken one Image Image it took about a hour in total but you could do it in about half an hour its that easy tools used were 18mm socket, a long bar and a torque wrench

Tired

Re: replacing rear springs

Post by Tired » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:55 pm

Nice write up! Thanks!! Mine havent snapped yet, but its up to 24k miles so shouldnt be long :-D

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:32 pm

Nice write up, it looks so simple. I wouldn't try it myself though :oops:

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Good work :thumbsup:
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:01 pm

Goopd write up and with photos. I woudl just comment that when you refer to undoing the bottom strut mount I think you mean the lower shock absorber bolt? That's what you undid.

You can do it without help if you use one hand to lever down the wheel hub and the other to wriggle the spring in. Useful in a house like mine full of women who spend their time doing nails, hair and shopping.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

cmpz4

Post by cmpz4 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi Adey,

My rear coil spring broke last week so thanks for the useful guide, where did you buy the replacement parts from?

Cheers

adey

Post by adey » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:02 pm

hi i got them from main dealer seems about the only place unless you want to lower the car then most go the eibach route, press the dealer for a 10% discount i got mine for £152 good luck

PetKiller

Post by PetKiller » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Just replaced mine – easy thanks to Adey's guide here (did it alone so used a bit of force to get the spring back in). Thanks also to Easty027 for the spring. :-)

Took me a bit longer than said here but that was mostly due to having lost my 18mm socket and having to ride down to Halfords to get a new one. And getting the new spring back in was hard by myself. Straight-forward enough.
BMW Z4 3.0 SMG / Buell XB9SX

easty027

Post by easty027 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:32 pm

PetKiller wrote:Just replaced mine – easy thanks to Adey's guide here (did it alone so used a bit of force to get the spring back in). Thanks also to Easty027 for the spring. :-)

Took me a bit longer than said here but that was mostly due to having lost my 18mm socket and having to ride down to Halfords to get a new one. And getting the new spring back in was hard by myself. Straight-forward enough.
glad you got it fitted and all ok!

volvos60

Post by volvos60 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:03 pm

Wouldn't spring compressors make this into a much easier job?

volvos60

Post by volvos60 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:04 pm

Wouldn't spring compressors make this into a much easier job?

Coolruler

Post by Coolruler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:50 pm

When you buy new rear springs do they come with the rubber seats for the top and bottom?

ColinP

Post by ColinP » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:58 pm

volvos60 wrote:Wouldn't spring compressors make this into a much easier job?
There is no need for a spring compressor when replacing rear springs it is easily done as mentioned, but compressor is need on fronts! :thumbsup:

Matthewrhodes

Post by Matthewrhodes » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:42 pm

Afternoon Chaps,

Do I need new rubber seats?

Also is it okay to do just one? as a stealer advised both!

If so why do they advise both if only one is broke, is it for balance issues or some other reason?

A quick reply would be appreciated as I need to get the parts ordered ASAP.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Ps Adey any chance of checking the photo links as I'm getting photo bucket "image moved or deleted" icon.

ColinP

Post by ColinP » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:48 pm

Matthewrhodes wrote:Afternoon Chaps,

Do I need new rubber seats?

Also is it okay to do just one? as a stealer advised both!

If so why do they advise both if only one is broke, is it for balance issues or some other reason?

A quick reply would be appreciated as I need to get the parts ordered ASAP.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Ps Adey any chance of checking the photo links as I'm getting photo bucket "image moved or deleted" icon.
Hi Matt

No need for new rubber seats if the old ones are in good condition, i would change both if i was you, try link http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... ng#p374517

Col. :thumbsup: