Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake System References

AlanL

Brake System References

Post by AlanL » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:10 pm

The topic of brakes comes up a lot in various threads on Z4-forum and we tend to repeat a lot of the discussions in scattered places. For the sake of a common reference thread I am posting a link to one of the best sources of brake systems I know of which is a set of White Papers that are available on the Stoptech web site. The papers cover a lot of ground and are not specific to the systems that Stoptech sells although they do favorably mention their offerings frequently (imagine that)......

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_ ... pers.shtml

Zeckhausen Racing also has a good set of technical docs if you have not had a chance to peruse them:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/technical.htm

TurnFast is another site with lots of interesting reading info for anyone playing around with high performance driving and has a section devoted to brake systems as well:

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_brakes/brakes

SCR Motorsports is a web site for a SCCA racing team that has some good info by James Walker. I noted that Stoptech has picked up a bunch of his articles in their White Paper collection but the stuff on this site is a little more wide ranging. James Walker also writes articles for Grassroots Racing - a publication for SCCA members.

http://www.teamscr.com/techarticles2.html

There's lots more info out there and these are by no means the final word on the topic of brakes but should provide lots of good background for anyone who wants to learn more about what is really happening when you depress the Go Slow pedal.

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Brake System References

Post by Shipkiller » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:41 pm

Any way to make this a sticky thread?
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:44 pm

Made it sticky, will check with the boss and others.

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:14 pm

Quick question, to replace rotors and pads there is no special BMW tool required correct?
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 pm

Nope - just standard brake tools and metric wrenches.

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:00 pm

Just a quick question.

I bought my ATE discs (OE spec BMW) for the front of my Z4, with Textar pads (again OE spec BMW apparently)

The discs have a coating on them, like grey paint. It's apparently to help them bed in quickly, and shouldn't be removed. Is it still recommended to do the bedding in as per Stop-Tech guide (which I've done with old cars with clean discs/pads)?

It looks like these ATE ones are designed to be run in 'normally' with a high-friction/temp kinda coating or something...!?

Does anyone know what to do with this coating? Ignore, or bed in differently?

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

IMZ4N

Post by IMZ4N » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:59 pm

I will be changing brakes and rotors this week. Can someone post the torque for the carrier to caliper and rotor torgue please. TIA

oliverz

Post by oliverz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:47 am

just visited the stoptech.com, a great reference to use.... thanks for sharing :thumbsup: