Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to modify your CDV (Clutch Delay Valve)

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How to modify your CDV (Clutch Delay Valve)

Post by gannet » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:21 pm

I never had that - maybe Im not driving hard enough.

sure it aint brakes?
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:36 pm

when I first got the car, I was crawling at the top of a hill waiting to turn right, I could smell the clutch then, it was really strong,
reckon I shaved about a years worth of driving off of it. :o gutted !

Made my mind up right then to mod the CDV. now its blinking great :thumbsup:

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:51 pm

gannet wrote:I never had that - maybe Im not driving hard enough.

sure it aint brakes?
Definately not brakes. I can smell them too :)
:zzzz:

MrGringo

Post by MrGringo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:29 pm

Gutted. I have just tried to pop the piston out of this new CDV I have bought but it won't budge. Having read a few of these posts I see I'm not the first.
Does anyone have any idea when they changed them? I.e. Do you think the original one on the car would be modifiable? I have a 56 plate registered sep 06.
I don't want to have to remove it, break the original and then not have a backup one... ummm...

Also I seem to remember it rattling before I tried to use the drill bit to get the innards out. But it doesn't seem to do that now so I may have jammed it, which means that if I fail to modify the oem one I won't have a replacement... Unless it didn't rattle to start with - can anyone confirm?

I have booked it in tomorrow to see if I can sort it but may cancel now until I know further.

Cheers!
Montego Blue 2.0i SE Roadster
Gone but not forgotten

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:38 pm

Think I could hear something moving around which doesn't any more...

oddly enough I can get something into the valve and around the back of the bit that needs to come out to enable access, just can't get enough force to it to try and remove it. Certainly seems like they have fixed it in place.

been debating whether to get another one and try again but put s drop of oil in there to maybe loosen it up a bit first? Dunno whether that would cause problems with oil residue and clutch fluid though :?
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:07 am

I had exactly the same thing, the new one did not budge. I decided on the 'All in' method and modified the one on the car.
It was very straight forward, prob because it has been it constant use and worn in. I'd give it a go honestly, if it absolutely fails to come out (it will!)
you can always just leave the CDV out and connect the two clutch lines together, with the same result.

MrGringo

Post by MrGringo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks Laziomaster, that's encouraging. I'll probably go for it then!
Gone but not forgotten

MrGringo

Post by MrGringo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:35 am

OK good news!
Went to see my friend at his garage in Oxford last night and he successfully managed to mod the CDV by sticking it in a vice (which I didn't have access to) and using a hammer and centre punch. So we modified it and then he fitted it and it's all working nicely. :D Didn't take long to fit or bleed the clutch once he had it up on the ramp. Access to the CDV is very easy as it's not under any of the panels etc.
Very pleased with the result it's definitely made a difference, I have got to get used to not needing to worry about judders when releasing the clutch into 1st and 2nd gear. Could happily have just modified the original without needing to have bought one but good to have a backup I suppose.
Gone but not forgotten

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:43 am

Superb! :thumbsup: glad it went well, Launching off at the lights is a lot easier now!!! :evil:

JazzFM28

Post by JazzFM28 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:59 pm

Does anyone know of somewhere in Leeds / York area, that could do this mod for me on a Z4M (07 plate) ?

If so, could you PM me the details, and any costs you may have.
2003 E85, Black, Full Leather, Sat Nav, 10 Speaker, Bavsound Speakers, Strut braces, plus much more

Siftah

Post by Siftah » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:05 pm

Really useful thread this - thanks all who've contributed.

I'm definitely going to swap the CDV out on mine as I've spent the first month of owning the Z4 trying (fruitlessly) to get a smooth change into 1st or 2nd. It's not too bad, but it's so irritating once you start noticing it.

I did wonder if it was the brake fluid in need of replacement as it seems easier to get a smoother change once the car has warmed up - is that just me?

I think after reading the thread I'll just go straight for a braided hose - I've no need to keep the car looking unmodified and I suspect a braided hose will help improve the feel a little anyway.

Thanks all,
:)

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:02 pm

hey guys, the link to the guide from the other forum doesnt seem to work. anyone got one saved?

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:54 pm

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:31 pm

Wow, guys for anyone who hasn’t done this I thoroughly recommend it!!

I did mine today, having no real mechanical experience it took about an hour to jack up, put on the stands, get under it, ponder over if I was undoing the correct piece, nip off the pipe, remove CDV, bleed, put the car down and test.
It is probably the best little mod I have done, especially for free. I think the guy that come up with the idea of a CDV should be made to wear them on his penis to hinder his sex life as much as it has my clutch!

One little query, should the clutch feel a little more ‘loose’ than usual for the rest of you that have done it?

Leon.

Post by Leon. » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:43 pm

Rudd_2002 wrote:<snip> nip off the pipe, remove CDV, bleed, put the car down and test.
So did you fully remove the CDV and join the hoses, or replace with a braided hose?
Rudd_2002 wrote:One little query, should the clutch feel a little more ‘loose’ than usual for the rest of you that have done it?
I've not done this but if it's looser, this may suggest you need to bleed some more, or top up with fluid?