Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retrofit Cruise Control

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Retrofit Cruise Control

Post by sk93 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:10 am

I know this has been covered in loads of posts, but I couldn't find a "complete guide" that showed the simple process in one post... so thought I'd write one :rofl: Thanks go to CJ10Jeeper, Gannet and various others for the 1001 posts on this subject that enabled me to actually do this mod :D

Requirements
1x Pre-facelift Z4 (Built before Oct 2004)
1x Medium-sized Posidrive screwdriver
1x Dremel with cutting disk
1x Cruise Control Stalk (EU BMW Part Number: 61 31 6 940 989)

If you don't have a dremel, then a coping saw would suffice.. at a push a sharp stanley would also do

Also, if you have a post Oct 2004 Z4, please see Gannet's copy of the retrofit instructions, here or here
You'll also need the additional wiring harness "A" as shown in the above instructions. (EU BMW Part Number:61 12 0 411 248)

Costs
The stalk cost me £60.75 inc vat from Sytner's Nottingham.

Step 1
Disconnect the negative terminal from you battery. (It's in the boot, under the carpet, silly)
I personally didn't do this, as I'm kind of partial to electric shocks. However, Srhutch kindly pointed out that doing this will prevent you blowing the DME... which makes this a good step to do!

Step 2
Release the catch under the steering wheel column and pull it towards you as much as it will move.
Locate and remove the one posidrive screw, located next to the column movement catch:

Step 3
Carefully remove the bottom cowel by gently pulling down on the bottom edge (the edge closest to the pedals).
Once removed, locate the free plug on the left side of the column. Mine was tucked in behind the other wire in the next picture.
Once found, gently pull more slack out from within the column, giving you enough spare to work with it.

Step 4
Plug this spare plug into the socket on your new cruise control stalk, then slide the stalk into the guide rails attached to the steering column.
I found I needed to put the back of the stalk in first, so that I had enough clearance past the large wires on the far left of the steering column
As you push the stalk in on the rails, it will eventually click to indicate it is fully in place.

Step 5
Using a fine cutting disk in a dremel (or similar tool), carefully cut out the gap for the new stalk in the bottom steering cowel removed in step 2.
If you look carefully on the left side, you'll see that BMW have kindly left a faint outline of where you need to cut. I simply traced around the inside of this with the cutting disk, then used a fine sanding disk to grind the remaining plastic back to the lines.
After about 5 minutes of cutting and sanding, I ended up with the following:

Step 6
Carefully re-attach the bottom cowel to the steering column, checking the fit of your newly cut hole. It can be a bit tricky to line up the cowel. I found that if you line up the very front "spikes" on either corner with the holes on the top cowel.
Now, re-insert and tighten the posidrive screw, then re-adjust the column to your liking before closing the adjustment catch.

And that's it!

To actually use the cruise control, push the stalk forward (away from you) to set the car cruising at the current speed (aslong as you're going faster than 20mph).
To speed up, push the stalk forward again until the required speed is reached.
To slow down, pull the stalk backwards (towards you) until you slow down to the required speed.
To return to the last set speed (after, say breaking or changing gear) press the button located on the end of the stalk.
To cancel cruise control, push the stalk down, depress the clutch or break, or accellerate to a speed faster than the set speed for a lengthy period of time.

Hope this is of help to anyone wanting to do this themselves!
Last edited by sk93 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:54 am, edited 10 times in total.
:zzzz:

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Retrofit Cruise Control

Post by gannet » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:24 am

Only comment Id make is that the first requirement in your list...

Preface lift Zed - built before October 2004.

After this date the wiring loom isnt present.

good write up though :thumbsup:
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:33 am

gannet wrote:Only comment Id make is that the first requirement in your list...
adjusted - cheers :thumbsup:

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:00 pm

Did you mean '04? I thought it was only facelifted the once?
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:17 pm

lacroupade wrote:

Did you mean '04? I thought it was only facelifted the once?
yes I did, The retrofit instructions have this cut-off date in them, and also include details of how to install the wiring loom. There have been some members here who had build date post Oct '04 without the looming present so it is correct. Easy enough to check for oneself though :thumbsup:
-- Gannet.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:21 pm

gannet, added a link to your retrofit instructions scan... hope you dont mind :)

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:22 pm

sk93 wrote:gannet, added a link to your retrofit instructions scan... hope you dont mind :)
not at all :thumbsup:

to be honest I'm quite surprised that link still works as I'm no longer with bulldog :o
-- Gannet.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:27 pm

gannet wrote:to be honest I'm quite surprised that link still works as I'm no longer with bulldog :o
lol.. well, in that case, I've saved a copy to my website too.. just incase :D

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:31 pm

Excellent write-up bringing all the info together :thumbsup:

Just what I'll hopefully be looking for in a few weeks or so (alloys purchase got in the way...).

One question: does anyone have the part no for the... ah nevermind, just spotted it in the first post :oops: (must learn to pay more attention)
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:37 pm

a11y wrote:One question: does anyone have the part no for the... ah nevermind, just spotted it in the first post :oops: (must learn to pay more attention)
Yea its 61 31 6 9.. oh.. wait.. you found it ;)
Hope it goes well for you!

ginkster

Post by ginkster » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Cruise control for £60 what a bargain, especially for a BMW!! Shame they spotted the loophole :thumbsdown:

Fitted cruise to my new (to me!) 03 plate 3.0 a couple of nights ago. It was a doddle and took only about 20mins including cutting the hole out of the shroud. Do not waste money on buying the new shroud - you have nothing to lose by trying to cut the hole and will save yourself a packet!

The instructions posted earlier by sk93 are spot on - top stuff thanks. :thumbsup:

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:01 pm

ginkster wrote:The instructions posted earlier by sk93 are spot on - top stuff thanks. :thumbsup:
Glad they were of use and glad you got it done :thumbsup:

if you don't rush cutting the hole, you really would have to work hard to make a mess of it ;)

bigcoose

Post by bigcoose » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:30 pm

a big thanks to sk93 for a top write up,i fitted mine tonight and with your help it proved to be a doddle. :bow:
you're damned if ya do,you're damned if you dont!!!!

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:22 am

bigcoose wrote:a big thanks to sk93 for a top write up,i fitted mine tonight and with your help it proved to be a doddle. :bow:
it's a pleasure, but I share the thanks with countless others here, who's info and guidance I shamelessly harvested to make this :D

Glad you got it fitted!

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:59 am

Bought mine and picked it up from the dealer last night. Only thing is that it's supposed to be a birthday present and my birthday ain't for another 25 days... :(
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::