Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

GM5 Module / Central Locking

Zmachine

GM5 Module / Central Locking

Post by Zmachine » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Thought I'd post a link to this great repair service available in Berkshire/Thatcham area.

I was experiencing the common fault of my central locking failing and after much research located this guy.

He replaced the relays in my module and also coded it for one touch passenger window opening and key fob roof down control.

All for under £100 and guaranteed for as long as you own the vehicle. All settings are now working correctly, no issues.

May help some save on main dealer diagnoses and repair!

http://www.bmwgm5.info/index.html
Last edited by Zmachine on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

srhutch

Re: MG5 Module / Central Locking

Post by srhutch » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Except it's GM5 module, not an MG5 module :poke:

Mine playing up, only done it once so far but have this guys details waiting at the ready.
Last edited by srhutch on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zmachine

Re: GM5 Module / Central Locking

Post by Zmachine » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 am

Lol Sorry misprint!

Edited

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:59 am

What were your symptoms?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:13 pm

My symptoms were that neither remote keys unlocked the car so had to you the blade which set the alarm off in a chirp mode. Once the ignition was turned on the alarm was silenced. Only done it once so far when we had snow so was really cold. I will probably leave mine until it becomes more problematic.

From memory I suggested to you in another thread that your GM5 module was dodgy. If you contact Colin though he will confirm either way if it's the GM5 though.

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:44 pm

srhutch wrote:My symptoms were that neither remote keys unlocked the car so had to you the blade which set the alarm off in a chirp mode. Once the ignition was turned on the alarm was silenced. Only done it once so far when we had snow so was really cold. I will probably leave mine until it becomes more problematic.

From memory I suggested to you in another thread that your GM5 module was dodgy. If you contact Colin though he will confirm either way if it's the GM5 though.
Ahh similar to what mine did once... ages ago - but happened when both my keys wouldnt lock the car... Even though i had just been on a 2 hours drive from London to Derby... after a short drive the remote unlocking worked again for both keys (even though the other key wasnt charged/ changed)

Sticks

Post by Sticks » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:13 pm

Zmachine wrote:Thought I'd post a link to this great repair service available in Berkshire/Thatcham area.

I was experiencing the common fault of my central locking failing and after much research located this guy.

He replaced the relays in my module and also coded it for one touch passenger window opening and key fob roof down control.

All for under £100 and guaranteed for as long as you own the vehicle. All settings are now working correctly, no issues.

May help some save on main dealer diagnoses and repair!

http://www.bmwgm5.info/index.html
Much the same here. Had thought it was lack of use/battery issues, but as above, driving a few miles and both worked again, having only used one key. Had it diagnosed properly today and the module is at fault, and BMW will supply one for a mere £600.

I'd seen that link and it's good to hear it's a good service. Was the module easy to get to and get out?

Thanks

Nick
3.0 SE Auto, Sapphire Black, Elipsoids, Xenons, Sat Nav, BT, Cruise, MFSW, 6CD, non-rfts.

RenoRaines

Post by RenoRaines » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Getting the General Module 5 out isn't a biggie. Take off the glove box and you are there.
I replaced the relays with a little help of my friend... and a six-pack of beers (afterwards) :) You can get relays on eBay. Some soldering skills and you're all set. For under 10 bucks. Beer included.

The symptoms would be like troublesome locking and unlocking the car. Relays eventually stick together hence not locking/unlocking the doors.

Sticks

Post by Sticks » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:51 am

Thanks that's useful. I meant to update before.

As I said, the last time I'd had problems like this the battery was on the way out. Replaced it and it was fine. As I'd not used the car that much over Winter, thought I'd try using my Ctek to recondition and fully charge the battery before doing anything else. Let it charge for a week, by which time the weather improved and I used the car more often. No problems since. So much for BMW diagnostics, just glad I didn't part with a lot of money on the basis of it.
3.0 SE Auto, Sapphire Black, Elipsoids, Xenons, Sat Nav, BT, Cruise, MFSW, 6CD, non-rfts.

sammysquid

Post by sammysquid » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:06 pm

just bought the relays for mine to do, car doesn't unlock but will lock, going to change them one night this week once they arrive. Really annoying to be without unlock.