Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clean out soft-top drain

pvr
Legend
Legend

Re: Clean out soft-top drain

Post by pvr » Mon May 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Sounds a lot more simple if you could do it that way, just bend it a bit, pull the plug and clean up.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon May 07, 2012 10:00 pm

I have a 53 plate Z4 and there are rivets underneath but they do not need to be removed to remove the bit of trim. There's an 8 mm nut underneath in a little recess that needs removing.

That's 2 8mm & 1 10mm in the arch and 1 8mm underneath.

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Mon May 07, 2012 10:43 pm

Absolutely. I found there was no need to remove any more bolts apart from the three holding the top section of the splashguard.
Just bend the splash guard forwards from the top, reach in towards the door sill, fumble around a bit for the plug and yank it out, easy.
You do need to remove the wheel in order to bend the splash guard enough to get your hand in, but that's a 1 minute job assuming your nuts aren't air torqued on.
I wanted to have a good look at my brakes anyways, so it was a no-brainer to remove the wheel.
andysat wrote:
Georgio wrote:Reasonable afternoon here today so decided to tit about seeing how bad my drains were.
Didn't bother with the breaking rivets off bit, just simply took the wheel off, removed the three bolt headed screws from the top of the splash guard pull the guard forward, reach backwards and pull out the plug, ream the hole a bit, refit and repeat.
Took me about 20 mins tops including 5 mins playing hunt the locking wheel nut key... :wink:
So could you move the plastic wheel arch cover without removing the bottom bolts?
E85 2.0l 2006 Zeeee 4 Roadster, black with black leather, whippy spec. and a few toys.
3 kids, one wife so a Zed makes a perfect family car in that you leave the family at home... :D

lakeeriesailor

Post by lakeeriesailor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:52 pm

O.k., guys (non-sexist), try this one. I have the top off my '03 Z 4 for hydraulic motor/pump repair; thought I'd check the drains while they were accessible. Motor side, no problem: poured some water down the drain hole, came right out the bottom. Other (right) side - no hole! There is no hole! Shallow depression about 1" dia. molded in the bottom of the drain well, but no hole.

What do I do, just drill a hole?

tabbie

Post by tabbie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:41 pm

lakeeriesailor wrote:O.k., guys (non-sexist), try this one. I have the top off my '03 Z 4 for hydraulic motor/pump repair; thought I'd check the drains while they were accessible. Motor side, no problem: poured some water down the drain hole, came right out the bottom. Other (right) side - no hole! There is no hole! Shallow depression about 1" dia. molded in the bottom of the drain well, but no hole.

What do I do, just drill a hole?
Sounds very strange,pictures would help. But there should be a drain hole either side :?
57 plate 2ltr sport which is my daily, now sadly sold!!! Has been an adventure.

lakeeriesailor

Post by lakeeriesailor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:44 pm

I will try to post a picture a bit later.

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:44 pm

I wouldn't consider just drilling a hole unless the tubing to carry the water to it's discharge point is in place. Who knows where the water will end up otherwise? And you'll get dirt, insects, and noise coming through the hole into the passenger compartment without the tubing in place.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:18 pm

pvr wrote:Just to note that this issue was resolved in the facelift model.
Not according to some members :? several post-facelift owners have reported the same wet motor problems despite the improved sealing of the housing - someone even suggested the sealing was actually keeping more water inside the housing once the thing was flooded, so drain cleaning is still going to be worthwhile.

Such a c**ap design :thumbsdown:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:31 pm

Ewazix wrote:
Not according to some members :? several post-facelift owners have reported the same wet motor problems despite the improved sealing of the housing - someone even suggested the sealing was actually keeping more water inside the housing once the thing was flooded, so drain cleaning is still going to be worthwhile.

I posted that in 2009 though ...
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Clean out soft-top drain

Post by ranski » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:31 pm

Many failed motors since then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:44 pm

FFS!!! :headbang:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:08 pm

pvr wrote:
Ewazix wrote:

I posted that in 2009 though ...
Sorry I hadn't noticed it was originally an old thread, I thought it was odd :oldman:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:16 pm

I cleaned my drains for the first time today... Complely blocked full of mud like substance :o

I removed the plugs and shoved a straw up there until they were clearer... But not 100%

Spent ages trying to unscrew the plugs then realised they just pull out :oops:

Derby Z4

Post by Derby Z4 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:15 pm

I've left my plugs out.

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:18 pm

aquazi wrote:I cleaned my drains for the first time today... Complely blocked full of mud like substance :o

I removed the plugs and shoved a straw up there until they were clearer... But not 100%

Spent ages trying to unscrew the plugs then realised they just pull out :oops:
A small bottle brush with nylon bristles on a wire handle works a treat, you push it up and the bristles trap all the debris and pull it out :thumbsup:
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue