Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clean out soft-top drain

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Clean out soft-top drain

Post by GAZA62 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks for that Mike never checked mine should really have a look save a few quid in the long run :thumbsup:
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

*AL*

Post by *AL* » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:23 pm

:thumbsup: That really is an excellent write up.I done mine a couple of weeks ago and found it very easy to follow.Didn't find much 'gunk' in mine and it was basically a rinse out job, the water drained freely.Has anyone found theirs blocked or partially blocked?
2009 (59) Z4 E89 3.0i Sdrive in deep sea blue, white extended leather, I-drive, folding mirrors. Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa

mystik

Post by mystik » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:07 am

to be honest...i havent even thought about checking.

i will now go and check. :|
//the whips

(10.2007 - 4.2010) * 2003, alpine white, 3.0i Zed with SMG
(5.2010 - 4.2011) * 2007, monaco blue, 6-speed MT 335i
(5.2011 - PRESENT) * 2003, carbonshwarz metallic, 6-speed MT M3

Trex

Post by Trex » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks go to Wondermike for bringing the excellant post by sixspeed over to this site. Cleaning the drain plugs should be a part of regular maintenance. I discovered a Q&D (Quick and Dirty) way to do it.

Take a good look at the sixspeed pics and get a sense of where those drains are and also read his text. The passenger side is the easier to work with. I took a wooden pole, used for marking driveways in snow ($1.00 at Home Depot), and poked around until i found an opening. I reamed the hole and a flood of water came out with some other junk. I was amazed. I was content with that. I never took off the splash panel on that side (I told you this was Q&D).

The driver's side is different - the hole is not accessible from the top. But, it is no big deal to take that rear wheel forward splash panel off. I did it without removing the wheel nor did I jack the car up. Two 8mm nuts and a (plastic!) 10mm nut are visible. It is a tight fit back in there, but you can get it done. Then there is the 8mm bolt/screw back behind and below the mudflap. The mudflap is separate from the splash panel. That last 8mm bolt/screw is easy to see if you take a mirror under the car. Wiggle the splash guard and you can approximate where the bolt has to be.

With the panel off, use a flashlight to peer back and you'll see the black rubber plug. Yank it out. Take a flexible tube or wire to whisk out the drain hole. There was nothing coming out on my car. So, I put everything back.

Should take you 20 minutes the first time you do it, depending on how much time you fiddle around trying to find tools small enough to fit in the driver's side wheel well. I have a small 1/4" ratchet set that worked well. Ideal for that 8mm bolt/screw behind the mudflap is one of those 8mm-9mm-10mm "Y" wrenches sold at bicycle shops.

gers

Post by gers » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Mikenmass

Post by Mikenmass » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:44 am

Thanks for posting! :)
Live where the tide matters.

gers

Post by gers » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:15 pm

thanks 4 this post wondermike,followd all that you posted,tubes now clear
wasnt easy but got there,thanks :D

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:44 pm

Just to note that this issue was resolved in the facelift model.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:47 pm

I have taken Sixspeeds post and made it into a PDF on the website for those who want the whole thing to print out.

http://www.shipkiller.com

Also, if you want to really see the drain holes, look at the How-To for removing your Soft Top. They show the drain holes without the top in the car... Also on the website.
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

plblair1

Post by plblair1 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:22 pm

Finally took the time today to clean out my 05 2.5i top drains. I basically used Trex's Q&D method that doesn't involve jacking or removing wheels. The whole procedure took less than an hour including removing the passenger side splash guard, which Trek apparently did not. The inboard 8mm screw on the passenger side is more difficult to access than the driver side but it's doable unless you have huge hands, in which case maybe you can "hire" your girlfriend or wife to help with it.

Once the press fit rubber drains were removed I inserted a flexible piece of coax cable (with the end snipped off) from the bottom through the now open drain tubes, worked it around a bit to loosen any debri then flushed with water from the top (top up). I only had a small amount of debri in the passenger side drain.

It's comforting knowing the drains are clean and will not (hopefully) have to face a huge job to replace the motor.:thumbsup:

Marco

Post by Marco » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi, does anyone know where to find the pics that go with the cleaning instructions? The ZPOST link no longer has the pics and the PDF appears to no longer exist.....

Sorry I just found it myself so thought I would update it here in case anyone else is interested. You can find the PDF with pics at:
http://www.shipkiller.com/How%20to%20Un ... Drains.pdf

:thumbsup:

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Mon May 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Reasonable afternoon here today so decided to tit about seeing how bad my drains were.
Didn't bother with the breaking rivets off bit, just simply took the wheel off, removed the three bolt headed screws from the top of the splash guard pull the guard forward, reach backwards and pull out the plug, ream the hole a bit, refit and repeat.
Took me about 20 mins tops including 5 mins playing hunt the locking wheel nut key... :wink:
E85 2.0l 2006 Zeeee 4 Roadster, black with black leather, whippy spec. and a few toys.
3 kids, one wife so a Zed makes a perfect family car in that you leave the family at home... :D

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Mon May 07, 2012 7:22 pm

Georgio wrote:Reasonable afternoon here today so decided to tit about seeing how bad my drains were.
Didn't bother with the breaking rivets off bit, just simply took the wheel off, removed the three bolt headed screws from the top of the splash guard pull the guard forward, reach backwards and pull out the plug, ream the hole a bit, refit and repeat.
Took me about 20 mins tops including 5 mins playing hunt the locking wheel nut key... :wink:
So could you move the plastic wheel arch cover without removing the bottom bolts?
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.