Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

///M Cruise Control - Myths & Legends Busted - Retrofit DIY HOW TO!!

srhutch

///M Cruise Control - Myths & Legends Busted - Retrofit DIY HOW TO!!

Post by srhutch » Sun May 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Right lads, its fitted and working.

Background for those new to this. There has always been talk about not being able to retro fit cruise control onto an ///M. However in recent years a few Indy's have been successful in doing so. Last year I managed to obtain some info from a forum member who had it retrofitted at an Indy and had established that the connection in the ECU that needed to be connected was Pin 4 on plug X60002. The indy wasn't 100% with his comms to me so I need clarification as I didn't want to toast my ECU.

Recently another forum member was keen to get this fitted which spurred me on and with some confirmation on a few point from Scooba_Steve gave me the confidence to dig deeper.

1. Apart from the wire to the ECU, all the other requirements are the same for any other E85/6 that require the loom also to be fitted.

http://www.hutchison.org.uk/z4-forum/CC/CC_retrofit.pdf

I think even routing the wire thrugh to the ECU might be easier. By removing the top of the ECU cover lets light in and you can see a hole in he bottom going through the firewall. Remove the panel below the glovebox (2 screws) and then poke a piece of stiff wire down the hole in the ECU box. Tape the blue wire to the stiff wire under the glovebox and then pull it through into the ECU housing.

2. Connecting the blue wire to the ECU is probably easier than on any other E85/6. I'm including the following for completeness, but isn't required.

Pin 4 X6002 identified in this picture. This required removal and disconnection of ECU. Luckily you don't have to go anywhere near this. For clarity this wire is already fitted in the car.

Now the extra info Scooba_Steve posted mentioned about Pin 4 X6021 and said that he didn't think this went anywhere. So I managed to trace the wire from Pin 4 X6002 back to where I thought it went. I tested for continuity which confirmed this was the correct point.

I then removed the plug which confirmed suspicions that it didn't go anywhere.

So for the time being I used a Positap (Much better than Scotchlocks) to connect the CC loom wire to the wire in Pin 4 X6021

**This is where the wiring diagram says to connect the Cruise Control loom to **

https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

I then fitted the Cruise Control Stalk using a dremel to remove the main section and file to get to finished size.

I then went on to do the final part which turned out to be the hardest. Only because it was like building a ship in a bottle as the loom for the LCM wasn't long enough to pull out of the dash, even after cutting it free from it's location. I used a descent ratchet crimp tool and wouldn't suggest using a cheap £1.00 job otherwise the connections won't be great.

Please ensure you cut the correct wires on the LCM. Best way to to extract the plugs from the connector and trace the wire from the pin locations. There are two yellow/purple coloured wires so be sure you cut the right one.

So all plugged back together and car was fine. The forum member who gave me the info last year reported he had to take his car back for coding as after fitting it didn't work. The Indy confirmed this and said the "Vehicle Order needed to be updated". Now I understand this to be nothing more than a list of options etc fitted to the car, and actually has nothing to do with them working or not.

So today I went to meet up with the South East Hooooooners and can confirm that Cruise Control is working 100% :trampoline: :-D :driving: :happyclap:

I am going to hopefully find a correct male pin connector and re do the blue wire to give a OEM look by using the main block to connect into. I have an old O2 sensor so might canabilise that if the pin is the same size.
Last edited by srhutch on Thu May 18, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

//M Cruise Control - Myths & Legends Busted - DIY HOW TO!!

Post by mr wilks » Sun May 07, 2017 12:19 pm

:happyclap: you don't mention a timeframe for the job :oops: can others expect it to take less than your 2 years :D :P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun May 07, 2017 12:25 pm

As I mentioned to PVR this morning I said I would do today, so was in fact 24 hours early :P

Took me a couple fo hours, but that was with all the diags. I reckon you could do this in under an hour.

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Sun May 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Fantastic write up thanks a lot! Won't be attempting myself but good to know it's doable.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun May 07, 2017 12:30 pm

2 years was required to find out what cable was purple as he is as blind as a bat :evil:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun May 07, 2017 12:32 pm

pvr wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 12:30 pm 2 years was required to find out what cable was purple as he is as blind as a bat :evil:
:P he brought the stuff to France 2 years ago planning to do it :D
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun May 07, 2017 12:32 pm

pvr wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 12:30 pm 2 years was required to find out what cable was purple as he is as blind as a bat :evil:
Yes that reminds me on the LCM there are two yellow/purple wires so be sure you cut the right one. I took the plug to bits to confirm. If I hadn't I'd of cut the wrong one, as at the time I hadnt seen the other wire.

Stu Boy

Post by Stu Boy » Sun May 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Nice, think I'll have to do this myself :wink:
Better get in quick before the price of the stalk rockets :cry:
Good job Steve :thumbsup:
2007 Z4 ///M Roadster, Black Sapphire, Nav, Deflector, Eibach's, Bilstein B6's, OEM CSL's 6 Pot BMW Performance Calipers

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun May 07, 2017 12:34 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 12:32 pm
:P he brought the stuff to France 2 years ago planning to do it :D
Very true, but didn't want to leave your ///M stranded by toasting the ECU. :P

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun May 07, 2017 12:35 pm

srhutch wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 12:25 pm I reckon you could do this in under an hour.
I'l wait for Ducklakeview to get into this mod then organise a group install where he can fit 14 in one day :D :lol:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 07, 2017 12:49 pm

To mirror OE connections a male pin is needed at X6021. But that just goes to X60002 and I don't *think* it does anything else so it should be possible to join straight there and use the retro pin. Could be tested by simply unplugging I guess.
Good to know it's just the VO coding as that's the same on all the others models.

If you have trouble getting to the LCM loom I find taking steering wheel off and the instrument cluster out gives more space.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun May 07, 2017 12:56 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 12:49 pm To mirror OE connections a male pin is needed at X6021. But that just goes to X60002 and I don't *think* it does anything else so it should be possible to join straight there and use the retro pin. Could be tested by simply unplugging I guess.
Good to know it's just the VO coding as that's the same on all the others models.

If you have trouble getting to the LCM loom I find taking steering wheel off and the instrument cluster out gives more space.
It would appear the car is partially wired for CC. The wire from X60002 goes to X6021 and then nowhere as you said. The male connector isn't even there. I need to find out what size the male one is then buy and rewire.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Try unplugging pin 4 at X6021, if there are no dramas (other than new cruise not working) then you can go straight to X60002, is that in the same electronics box in the M?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun May 07, 2017 1:27 pm

Pin 4 doesn't connect to anything at x6021 so yes you could. TBH it's easier to connect there than pull the Ecu out though.

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Sun May 07, 2017 2:11 pm

That's a fantastic write up Steve :thumbsup: good on ya, might have mine fitted in October at the same time as some aero skirts :D :thumbsup:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA