Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fix for central console storage compartment light staying on

BillR

Post by BillR » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:07 pm

When we bought our 2003 Z4 used, the light inside the storage compartment did not go off when the door was closed. Eventually the car cuts power to it to protect the battery. I finally got annoyed enough to take a look into the problem and come up with a free fix :D

The light in the storage compartment is turned off with a small switch located just under the pivot point of the compartment door. When the door is closed, a small piece of plastic protruding from the bottom of the black inner panel of the door presses on this switch. This breaks the circuit and the light goes out.

On our car, something must have fallen down into the space under the pivot point and caused this piece of plastic to break off. All that was left was a stub which wasn't long enough to reach the switch. Rather than buy a whole new inner panel, I used a sharp knife to trim off the stub, made a small whole where the stub used to be, and then screwed a round headed or domed screw into the hole. I adjusted how much of the screw was sticking out (about an inch) so that it just made contact with the switch as the door closed. I was happy with my cheap solution until I noticed that the shiny screw was visible if you looked into the crack :x . Ten seconds and a couple of turns of black electrical tape fixed that little issue :)

Enjoy,
Bill

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Fix for central console storage compartment light staying on

Post by ronk » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:19 pm

I've got the same problem but I've been lucky enough to find the small tang of plastic.

I might be able to use an epoxy to stick the broken piece back on but I am not confident that it will work long term.

I think your idea is the solution. Did you remove the trapdoor to do the work? There are a couple of screws visible but the assy seems to be a bit more than just a hinge.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:50 pm

mine did teh same but bmw fixed it under warrenty
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:01 pm

paddy wright wrote:mine did teh same but bmw fixed it under warrenty

I've got the BMW Approved car warranty - I just wonder if they'll cover that sort of failure / breakage?

Nevertheless I'm getting value from the warranty. Since I bought the car in March, the wiper assy has been replaced, also window mech and the dealer is currently trying to sort out the noise on idle problem!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

JohnWDavisJr

Post by JohnWDavisJr » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:05 pm

I have the same issue, I will try the screw method. thanks!
JwD
06 BMW Z4 3.0si