Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Swapping manual for electic seat bases - I'm stuck...

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Swapping manual for electic seat bases - I'm stuck...

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:40 pm

a11y wrote:Yep, it's quite confusing under there but as you say, most of them hold the fram together. I just looked at it and traced along where the parts met and figured it out for myself in the end.

I'm now investigating whether my "spare" Z4 seats - black leather, non-sport, manual - will fit onto the bases in my VW T5 van. That could prove complicated! I believe the runner width is the same, so could be do-able...
Well in a bizare twist I sold my old seats (standard, rebuilt on manual frames, black leather) to a guy for a VW camper van project. He asked me for runner dimensions then drove 200 miles from Devon to collect them. He was well pleased :)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:24 pm

OK stuck already :D

The backs are of no problem. the wiring is all disconnected and the side cowling with all the height etc adjustment is of.

Im trying to get the swabs of the base, now i've undone two bolts at the front sides where the black plastic wraps around the front of the seat and its just not moving. Are these the right ones?

Picture with arrow pointing to illustrate, the seat base is upside down in case it looks confusing...
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:27 pm

That's VERY useful to know, thanks :)

I'm doing the same thing and with the same seats (standard, manual, black leather). Our van's a long-term camper project and one of the things to do is change the standard 2-seat passenger bench to a single seat (and later add swivel mechanisms). VW seats go for silly money secondhand so I'm as well trying my Z4 seats before thinking of selling them. All I (hopefully!) still need is a single passenger seat base.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:30 pm

Dreamer - wrong bolts :D

You need to put that one back in and remove the one to the left/above of that in your photo. Once removed, there's a lip on the tab of metal which the bolt goes through - you might need to create some space by prising it apart from the base part. Easier to do that describe!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:32 pm

I think so but it's almost impossible to tell from photos and upside down at that. as a11y says these trims are also clipped in, so trace around inside until you find those points.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Its of! A11y you were right it was the bolt just up and left a bit in the pic. They had to be prised aside a bit to let a locating rod
free.
I also had to undo the 4 bolts at the back and then it just lifted of.
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

imp75

Post by imp75 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:34 am

Gents, this thread is exactly what I'm looking for. Couldn't find it for love nor money on thursday but stumbled across it when looking up a totally different query.......Hopefully ill be following all helpful tips today for a base swap! :thumbsup:
Thanks cj and a11y so far for info youve given so far,but with these photos i should find it a bit easier.
GONE - 2.0, sapphire black, alu trim, mods: msport seat transplant, 30mm drop, clear headlights, ZHP, OTH, strut brace, tinted tail lamps, carbon wrapped grilles and stubby

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:30 pm

LOL I completely forgot this thread existed otherwise I'd have directed you to it! Seems I had the same problems as you... :oops: