Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Swapping manual for electic seat bases - I'm stuck...

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Swapping manual for electic seat bases - I'm stuck...

Post by a11y » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm looking for a few pointers as to how to proceed with this...

My Z4 currently has electric, non-heated seats. I've acquired a pair of manual (non-electric) heated seats, plus the required switch panel.

I've got both my current seats out of the car, intending to swap the bases over with the end result that I have electric, heated seats. But I'm unable to figure out how to separate the bases from the seats. I can see one torx (6-point splined) bolt either side at the front, and also two torx bolts each side on the rear of the base - removing these appears to let the base seat cushion loose. But I can't remove it because the back panel is in the way.

There's a large (T60?) torx bolt either side of the seat - do these need to be removed for what I'm trying to achieve?

I'm a bit stuck because:

1) I'm not exactly sure if the bits I'm removing/swapping are the correct way to go.

2) the biggest torx bit I have is a T40 and I've got no idea what size the torx bolt is? Plus I tried locally but nowhere could sell me anything bigger than a T40 anyway.

Can anyone help me by confirming what bolts/screws I need to undo to separate the bases to allow me to swap a manual for electric base, and also what size and where to get a suitable torx bit if that's what I need?

Cheers
Ally
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Swapping manual for electic seat bases - I'm stuck...

Post by AlanJ » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:54 pm

///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

adey

Post by adey » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:16 pm

hi ally you need to remove the 2 large torx bolts at the bottom of the backrest on the heated ones don't forget to disconnect the electric lead for the heated elements once those large bolts are out the backrest should just pull up then you will be able to pull the seat base up and off

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:54 pm

Have an idea how you can find out the size you need (if Adey doesn't know) - call BMW parts! If they don't want to be used as a reference centre just pretend someone has rounded one off and you need another!

Halfords do up to a T55...
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165572
Not sure if you have one locally to you.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Thanks Alan and Hi Adey

I guessed it was those large torx bolts - damn, I don't have a bit to do that. I've actually gone ahead and bolted the manual electric seats (Adey's old seats :) ) into the car for the moment. Partly to make sure my switch unit works (warming up as we speak) and partly because I can live without electric adjustment until I locate a big torx bit.

Can anyone confirm exactly what size of torx bit that big torx bolt requires?

(on a side note, my neighbour just suggested I fit my "old" non-heated seats into my VW van lol. He actually has a point: I've currently got 3 seats across the front but am after 2 individual seats as part of my camper conversion. If I locate or have some suitable bases manufactured then I'm doing it! Z4 seats in a VW Transporter, watch this space :D )

Oh, and cheers PawnSacrifice - I'll maybe try them on Monday if I don't find a size by then.

adey

Post by adey » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:15 pm

sorry mate don't know the exact size i used an old set of torx nut keys i brought a few years ago i think there was about 7 in the set from halfrauds or a market can't remember glad its all working though shows pre 04 is all wired up to go

adey

Post by adey » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:28 pm

its a good job i don't chuck nothing out just found the holder for the torx keys and checked it with the bolts on the seats and the size is t40 :D

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:13 pm

Excellent - cheers Adey!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:55 pm

a11y
Guess by now you will have sorted the back out.

When you get to the squabs the fun will start working out which of the torx holds it in. You'll need to remove 2 at the front then that lifts up and the rear edge unhooks. Take great care to ensure you replace the plastic tubes on the hooks as they stop the seat creaking. without you'll remember you should have checked every tome you sit in the car :)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks cj10jeeper

I've successfully installed the manual/heated seats for the moment until I get my hands on the correct sized torx bit. I definately figured out there were two torx bolts either side at the front of the squab that needed undoing, but I'd also loosened off four torx bolts - two either side - on the rear of the squab (from behind).

I'll remember that about the plastic tubes :)

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:50 pm

I'll be doing this next week so any pictures along the way will be really helpful ally!!
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:31 pm

I'll do what I can :)

Although it's been sooooo fecking cold the last couple of days that I've not been hanging around doing the work so far!

I've found out my local Halfords sells some torx bits so will pay them a visit tomorrow along with a Z4 seat in the back of my van. I've got to wait in for a courier tomorrow now anyway so I hope to get cracking on the swap over then.

Bradders75

Post by Bradders75 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:26 am

Ally

I've just bought some heated M Sport seats. :D My standard seats are currently non-heated. Do you happen to know if the new heated ones will just be a case of plug-an-play if I buy a switch panel?

Thanks
2003 Z4 3.0i SE | nav / cruise / PDC / bluetooth / ellipsoids / xenons / clear indicators / m-sport seats / m-sport MFSW / ZHP / intravee |

2014 F56 MINI Cooper S | for bends |

2016 F20 M135i | for straights |

rob davey

Post by rob davey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Bradders75 wrote:Ally

I've just bought some heated M Sport seats. :D My standard seats are currently non-heated. Do you happen to know if the new heated ones will just be a case of plug-an-play if I buy a switch panel?

Thanks
It depends how old your car is - the facelift ones definately need the wiring as well as i have done mine
BMW Z4 2.0i SE Roadster (2006 / 06) Facelift, titanium silver, black 108s, stubbie, sports wheel & gear knob, leather seats & bum warmers, drivers side FAB, cup holders and aux input

Bradders75

Post by Bradders75 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:51 pm

rob davey wrote:
Bradders75 wrote:Ally

Thanks
It depends how old your car is - the facelift ones definately need the wiring as well as i have done mine
Mine is an August 2003 (03 plate), does that mean I'm in luck? :?
2003 Z4 3.0i SE | nav / cruise / PDC / bluetooth / ellipsoids / xenons / clear indicators / m-sport seats / m-sport MFSW / ZHP / intravee |

2014 F56 MINI Cooper S | for bends |

2016 F20 M135i | for straights |