Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Control

GJC72

Re: How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Con

Post by GJC72 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:00 pm

shawna wrote:Fantastic Thread i have to get one as well haha
Just be aware price has increased significantly from the £220 quoted at the beginning of the thread. Yesterday Sopers in Lincoln quoted me £500 retail, £420 with Forum discount. :x :thumbsdown:
Replacement: 2018 M240i Auto Convertible with plenty of options

Previous
2013 E89 Valencia Orange 20i sDrive Auto
2007 E85 Monaco Blue 3.0si
2003 E85 Sterling Grey 2.5i

123BillyB

Post by 123BillyB » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:04 am

Thinking of having a go at this myself (if I can find a wheel at a reasonable price) as from what I have read so far, for my 2005 55 plate 3.0i (pre facelift) it should be a matter of take off the old one and plonk on the new one.... Job done.

Only question I have is a well as working audio, will I be able to control my navigation with the steering wheel?

Thanks,

Billy
Rare 55 Plate 3.0i SE with AC Type IV Bi-Colour Alloys - Too may mods to list and not many left to go :D

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:40 am

The only thing you can control with the steering wheel for NAV is the voice commands, that i know of...
Last edited by BettyBmw03 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:16 pm

428 BARE!

No buttons no nothing.

OUCH.
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

FAARN

Post by FAARN » Fri May 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Just finished fitting my MFSW and required cabling. I used 2 x part number 61130006663 instead of the retrofit cable.
MrGringo wrote:4) When fitting the scotch lock connectors, fit to the original wire as far back from the end of the cable which goes into the plug as possible to ensure that the blue and brown plugs can fit back into the black "parent" plug. If you don't you may have trouble getting the plug back together and end up having to "unlock" the scotch locks and adjust their position, and re-use them. In my experience, this is very fiddly, time consuming and frustrating.
Can emphasise this enough, I was about 2mm too short but didn't realise until I had plugged the brown and blue connectors back into their holder. Ended up snapping the original wire due to it being pulled. Not happy but managed to fix it with a few parts from BMW. :headbang:

AndrewZ4MC

Post by AndrewZ4MC » Wed May 15, 2013 10:42 pm

I know this is a very old thread but I am currently going through this and have run into a problem.

I can't find the green plug underneath the steering column to plug the wiring adapter into and it is driving me CRAZY :headbang:

I also am having problems removing the fascia panel around the light switch assembly.

Any help at all would be soooo helpful.

Thanks in advance

maxman

Post by maxman » Wed May 15, 2013 10:55 pm

andrewbowers133 wrote:I know this is a very old thread but I am currently going through this and have run into a problem.

I can't find the green plug underneath the steering column to plug the wiring adapter into and it is driving me CRAZY :headbang:

I also am having problems removing the fascia panel around the light switch assembly.

Any help at all would be soooo helpful.

Thanks in advance
Am I missing something,according to your sig you have a m/f steering wheel.If this is correct you don't need the wiring adapter.Its just a case of unplugging your wires when you have removed the airbag ,then repluging the wires off the m wheel when in place.

AndrewZ4MC

Post by AndrewZ4MC » Wed May 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Sorry mate, confusing I know.

I didn't have the mfsw when I bought the car. When I wrote the sig I had the wheel but hadn't fitted it.

Now I am trying to fit it and have the problem with the wiring as explained.

Any ideas?

maxman

Post by maxman » Thu May 16, 2013 12:03 am

Sorry can't help ,when I did mine it was just a straight swop as I has a m/f wheel as std

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Does the centre bolt holding the wheel on need to be torqued and if so what is the torque setting?

Thanks

Mark
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Mark-Z4 wrote:Does the centre bolt holding the wheel on need to be torqued and if so what is the torque setting?

Thanks

Mark

The purists will say yes - I just used the old ways and tightened it till it wouldn't budge - 3 years on all good :thumbsup:

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks Ranski :lol:

I take it this is just plug and play on the facelift? No coding needed?
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:45 am

I've done this before and will be doing it again soon. Essentially you need to check you have the green block with MFSW cable first before doing anything (underneath the wheel, remove cowling). If you have the wires present its a straight swap. If not then you need to order a retrofit wire too and install using the full how-to guide.

No coding needed. Just be aware that's one times this job trips the airbag light and you may need an Indy to clear the error for you.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

the cueball

Post by the cueball » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:42 am

good guide...

:thumbsup:

PhilK49

Post by PhilK49 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:50 am

Excellent post! Thanks for the link! So how much do you reckon a paddle shift multi function steering wheel will knock you back on the market?