Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Control

bmwangler

Re: How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Con

Post by bmwangler » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Just successfully installed the ///M MFSW I bought from fellow Forumite "stephendutton1963".

Thanks to this thread it was a doddle and took no time at all. Everything works and it looks and feels so much better than my standard wheel.

Many thanks to sideshowbob for a relevant and helpful post :thumbsup:
3.0i SE Roadster/De-Badged/Sterling Grey/108's/Xenons/Pro Sat Nav/Stubby/PDC/Retrofit Bluetooth/Cruise/ ///M Steering Wheel/ZHP/ ///M Black Grilles/

MrGringo

Post by MrGringo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:06 pm

sideshowbob wrote:Installation of M Sport MFSW and Retrofit cable.
If you do decide to fit the M sport wheel and your car was manufactured before September 2003, then you will also need to fit a retrofit cable which will enable the functions on the wheel to work.
If you need this retrofit cable it is about £5 and is bmw part no 61120394848
Just to add that some cars post September 2003 also need the cable, including my facelift '56 plate roadster. If you're unsure it's best to check the green plug beneath the lower steering wheel cowling to see if the cables are present. For more details see this thread
Montego Blue 2.0i SE Roadster
Gone but not forgotten

MrGringo

Post by MrGringo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:56 pm

sideshowbob wrote:Installation of M Sport MFSW and Retrofit cable.
8/ Remove the plug from the rear of the light switch centre.
HELP!! My car is in bits and I'm trying to get this plug out, what's the technique?! Anyone knows it'd be great help as I'm running out of time before it gets dark!
Thanks
Mr G
Gone but not forgotten

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:36 pm

you are supposed to remove the instrument cluster to access that plug

*EDIT - appears that you are doing it the right way looking at the instructions - but i did it via the instrument cluster hole - much easier to disconnect the plug

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

MrGringo

Post by MrGringo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:00 pm

OK I managed to get it sorted out and I finally have a fully working MFSW. Ranski thanks for suggestion but I was going through the instrument cluster anyway, just having some trouble figuring how to release the plug.

I have a few suggestions to make to improve the how to, and prevent people coming up against the same problems as I did.

1) Check that your car has the cable required for the MF buttons to work.
Don't presume that it will be there even if you have a post facelift car, never mind post sep03 as mentioned in the OP.
More details can be found in this thread, including this picture of the plug beneath the steering cowl with/without cable courtesy of Inkey$.

2) You can use a standard size tyre wrench to remove the center bolt to release the steering wheel.

If fitting the cable for MF controls
3) The plugs you need to remove for the dash console and for the light switch have a lever which releases the plug. The lever is the white part of the plug and is held in place by a raised catch on the main black part of the plug. Push down the catch to release the lever, and then rotate the lever to release the plug.

4) When fitting the scotch lock connectors, fit to the original wire as far back from the end of the cable which goes into the plug as possible to ensure that the blue and brown plugs can fit back into the black "parent" plug. If you don't you may have trouble getting the plug back together and end up having to "unlock" the scotch locks and adjust their position, and re-use them. In my experience, this is very fiddly, time consuming and frustrating.

5) The cost of the cable has risen from £5 to £17. £17 for what is essentially two wires seems mightily expensive. If you can locate the scotch lock connectors elsewhere, you could order two bushing contacts (part 1) from BMW and use those, only thing you'd need to remember is which is which as they'd both be black.
It's part number 61130006663 and only £0.98 for 75cm cables (which you can trim to the size you need). (item 1 on the bmwfans link)
So £2 vs £17.

There we are, hope some of you benefit from this!
Gone but not forgotten

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:01 pm

Just installed mine today, thanks to sideshowbob and others....everything went smoothly. One question, what is the R/T button for? Is that for automatic shifting? And is there a way to change from one source to another like CD to Aux to Radio on the MFSW? Thanks

Todd

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:28 pm

Mr Gringo - very pleased to hear you got it sorted. Great write up and advice. :thumbsup:

BettyBMW03 - The R/T button is for the additional phone option. Swaps between radio and telephone on a standard MF phone enabled car. There is no way to change the source as far as I know without clever rewiring.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks inkey$, I am retrofitting navigation next and then BT, so we will see how it turns out...

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:20 pm

Well I fitted my Mfsw today- thanks to all for guidance- really is easy!
One question- should the rt button on the right hand spoke nit work to select iPod? It does nothing at the mo!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:05 am

paddy wright wrote:Well I fitted my Mfsw today- thanks to all for guidance- really is easy!
One question- should the rt button on the right hand spoke nit work to select iPod? It does nothing at the mo!
Paddy,

have you got Bluetooth?I know that switches between radio and telephone,but if you don't have it,I doubt it works.I am sure someone will confirm if I am right or wrong :)

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:58 pm

I thought the left hand button was for phone and the right hand button changed between radio and external souce?
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:28 pm

I think the left one is for voice control.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:48 pm

Just read further up the thread- I see the answers are all there! Doh!

PeteUKZ4

Post by PeteUKZ4 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:21 pm

Just fitted a M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Control sourced from Joe at Sopers. Joe is a top bloke gave a great price compared to Sytner Leicester - more than 20% cheaper. Also Joe was able to supply me some new numberplates Free of charge which made the seal even sweeter.

Thanks for this great HOW TO, made the job straight forward and fairly easy.
Extended New England Leather, Heated Seats, Xenon's, Pro sat Nav, TV, Parking sensors, BMW Wind deflector,18" 287's, M Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel, CD Changer -- http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb414/PeteUKZ4/

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Please help.. Cold in car and really struggling to get the airbag off