Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Control

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Con

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:46 pm

JimmyPop wrote:just in the process of fitting my M MFSW ordered from eBay. Couple of valuable lessons I've learnt....

1) don't use scotchloks too close to the end of the cable :headbang:

2) make sure you connect all the cables together before you reconnect the battery or you have another lengthy wait for a two minute job. :headbang: :headbang:
You're also likely to gett error messages and ambiguous erros usign scotlocks as opposed to a proper solder joint.

Good job oyu receonnected the airbag or you'd be in for a recode not just a 15 minute tea break :)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

spikeyblonde

Post by spikeyblonde » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:28 am

Finally finished installing a cracking install of a new M MFSW obtained from sopers - managed to snag the last one at £312 delivered - aparently they are now £500+!!!! got lucky i suppose (although the coloured threading ones have come down to around £600 from 1K!!!). I bought playlistics m sports from buy and sell but changed my mind for the multifunction. so £150 to anyone that wants an m sport wheel!! ;)) Looks amazing however a definate mod for any enthusiast!! stubby gear knob next for me i think :) if anyone want some hints on airbag removal or wheel changing feel free to pm me - i went through all the normal pain, but took pictures as i went :)

JimmyPop

Post by JimmyPop » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:47 am

Out of interest, when did you buy yours? I phoned on Monday and also phoned about a month ago and on both occasions it was at least £400.

spikeyblonde

Post by spikeyblonde » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:12 pm

I got it from Sopers. They advised this was the last one they had in stock at that price as they bought it in before the price rises - he did say he was going to contact bmw to see why they can justify a random £200 rise for the same product. I you want one without the controls let me know nd you can have my "spare" for £150 :)

Hosse

Post by Hosse » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:35 am

Hi
I just got my Z4 3.0A today. This is without buttons on the stearing wheel and no gear paddels. Now I got an almost not used M Sport stearing Wheel laying around. It comes with buttons and gear paddels. Does anyone know how I need to modyfi my car so everything works?
Best regards
Hosse
"Norway - Z4 2.5IA E89 - 320D F31"

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:03 pm

Hosse wrote:Hi
I just got my Z4 3.0A today. This is without buttons on the stearing wheel and no gear paddels. Now I got an almost not used M Sport stearing Wheel laying around. It comes with buttons and gear paddels. Does anyone know how I need to modyfi my car so everything works?
How about an introduction and include age of car, etc.
Read the various write ups and you'll discover if your should have the loom in place, needs wiring and then my 'how to' on wiring paddles to a pre facelift auto.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Hosse

Post by Hosse » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Sorry..
Mounted it in 15 minutes. Looks awsome, but non of the buttons work.

Its an 2003 model, 3.0IA. Steeringwheel on the left. Prodused in november 2002.

I asume that I need:
- the slidingplate with all the pins 61-31-8-379-091
- one set of PC reset cabels
- these ekstra 2 cabels for the multifunctions buttons 61120394848

Here is how it looks: http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... 5458b7.jpg

I orderd the parts on friday, so ill have them tomorrow monday. Hope its the right ones for my Z4.
Best regards
Hosse

Hosse

Post by Hosse » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Hmm.. Got the price on the parts I ordered today. The 61-31-8-379-091 is over 1250 NOK (about 233 Dollar). Isnt that a lot?
Best regards
Hosse

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Hosse wrote:Hmm.. Got the price on the parts I ordered today. The 61-31-8-379-091 is over 1250 NOK (about 233 Dollar). Isnt that a lot?
I think I paid around £55 a couple of years ago

Hosse

How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Control

Post by Hosse » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:55 pm

Works perfect!! Thanks a lot!! Got some pictures if theres missing any?

Thanks!!
Best regards
Hosse

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:10 pm

Hosse wrote:Works perfect!! Thanks a lot!! Got some pictures if theres missing any?

Thanks!!
Well done - glad you got it sorted. Love the paddle shift and completed probably 300 miles in the Lakes this weekend and drove every mile with paddles (except when in slow traffic lines)

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:00 am

Hey guys, I just used this thread as a guide to fit my multifunction retrofit kit to my standard wheel. Went without a hitch!

For the record, retrofit kit 65 71 0 304 942 included the upgrade cable and scotchlok connectors, and this was required for my Oz spec September 03 Zed. By far the cheapest place I found to buy the kit was thebmwpartstore.com/ and they were a real pleasure to deal with! Note that the kit I bought (and above part number) are the standard "graphite" colour. "Chrome line" colour is a different part number, and from what I've seen quite a bit more expensive.

I used the instructions here for the airbag removal and to help with the upgrade cable installation, but for the main part of the retrofit I followed the BMW PDF posted here. If you can't access that file PM me your email address and I can send it to you ;)

Overall I'm very happy with the result - particularly because I installed a bluetooth/voice recognition ULF at the same time (more to come on that later)! :D
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

nicollow

Post by nicollow » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks with all the info here. My new steering wheel arrived yesterday and I couldnt wait to fit it. Ended up doing it in the dark, in the office car park with my mobile as the only source of light. Went without a hitch though, and now works a treat!! :D

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:17 pm

nicollow wrote:Thanks with all the info here. My new steering wheel arrived yesterday and I couldnt wait to fit it. Ended up doing it in the dark, in the office car park with my mobile as the only source of light. Went without a hitch though, and now works a treat!! :D
great work nicollow :thumbsup: told you if everything is there, is easy :D

nicollow

Post by nicollow » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:25 pm

navid.v wrote:
nicollow wrote:Thanks with all the info here. My new steering wheel arrived yesterday and I couldnt wait to fit it. Ended up doing it in the dark, in the office car park with my mobile as the only source of light. Went without a hitch though, and now works a treat!! :D
great work nicollow :thumbsup: told you if everything is there, is easy :D

Yeah, thanks for pointing me to it. Must admit, when I had the dash apart, the light on my phone in my mouth and the soldering iron (a butane gas one!!) on, I thought that it was going to go tits up big time. But yeah, no stress. Have to say, working on BMWs is a bloody joy compared to anything else Ive ever had. Everything is so well thought out and well made it makes is a hell of a lot easier. Defo a Bimma convert :P Now if only I can convince my old man to get rid of his crappy Audi S5 in favour of the new BMW M5 Id be a happy boy :lol: