Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DIY: M-Sport steering wheel

StigJ

DIY: M-Sport steering wheel

Post by StigJ » Tue May 03, 2011 9:57 pm

So I bought a almost new M-Sport steeringwheel from our fellow member bmwZ. looked brand new. Thanks for the good deal man! :thumsup:

I was keeping the original silver spokes beacuse I didnt want to spend more money on some plastick than I payed for the whole wheel.

The new M-wheel:

The OEM sport steering wheel:

First of all, remember to disconnect the battery since you need to unplug the airbag.

There is one hole on each side just behing the wheel. Put som medium/large flathead screwdrivers in each hole.

Then you have to fiddle a little and feel around inside to find the locking mechanism for the airbag. When you have found them you push the screwdrievers to unlock the mechanism.

Then pull out the airbag and unplug the yellow plug.

Unscrew the ground leads:

Unscrew the three screws that holds the metal plate. Remember to not lose the two springs on each side.

Now the airbag and metal plate is removed:

Unscrew the center bolt that holds the steeringwheel to the steering column:

When the bolt is out see how the steeringwheel is aligned and remember this. Can be an idea to take a picture so you place the new wheel at exactly at the same place as the old wheel.

Pull off the steeringwheel:

This is now the parts you should have:

remove the screws on the rear side of the wheel that holds the plastik spokes:

All dismantled:

The lower center spoke of the standard wheel is longer than the M-spoke. So here I needed to make a little modification:

I just used a Dremel to grind the plastic piece so it was much thinner as it should lie over the leather. Its not a perfect fit, but ok for me.

Then reinstall the plastic spokes:

No need to do any modification on the two ther spokes.
Mount the wires just like they was on the standard wheel.

Then install the wheel to the column and remember to align it just as the standard was.

Then it is just to do the mounting in reverse order like when you dismounted the steeringwheel.

The finish look.

Connect the battery and take your nice Zed for a spin and feel the new, nice thick leather M-Sport steeringwheel between your hands! :thumsup:

This is a well worth modification for you gyus with the standard steeringwheel.

Happy driving and thank you for watching ;)
Last edited by StigJ on Wed May 04, 2011 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hellrot '06 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Instagram: @StigJ77 & @bmwe86driver

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: DIY: M-Sport steering wheel

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue May 03, 2011 10:26 pm

Stig - great write up - just one comment for others who follow this guide.

After inclipping the 2 spring retainers the airbag should be disconected by undoing the 2 wire connectors Black and Green. They unlock by slipping a flat blade screwdriver into the rear to unlock them, then pull off. You risk damaging them by trying to disconnect the horn spring plate as in your write up.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

oli445

Post by oli445 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:41 pm

Also agree, great write up, but I thought the steering wheel could only go on in one position due to teeth all the way around and one flat spot? :|

Fitted mine recently and now the wheels not quite straight when going straight on, just put it down to new thicker wheel and being more aware!

StigJ

Post by StigJ » Wed May 04, 2011 8:32 am

cj10jeeper wrote:Stig - great write up - just one comment for others who follow this guide.

After inclipping the 2 spring retainers the airbag should be disconected by undoing the 2 wire connectors Black and Green. They unlock by slipping a flat blade screwdriver into the rear to unlock them, then pull off. You risk damaging them by trying to disconnect the horn spring plate as in your write up.
Yes I was trying to disconnect those first, but I saw that it was easier to disconnect the yellow one and unscrew the negative lead.

Changed the two pictures so it showes that you need to remove plugs and wires before you remove the metal plate.
Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:
oli445 wrote:Also agree, great write up, but I thought the steering wheel could only go on in one position due to teeth all the way around and one flat spot? :|

Fitted mine recently and now the wheels not quite straight when going straight on, just put it down to new thicker wheel and being more aware!
No it can be mounted off center too. Maybe you missed one tooth since your wheel is a little off. Just dismantle it again and check if the marks on the wheel and on the center pin in the column is aligned.
If its already aligned the wheel might have been realigned due to a poorly done wheelalignment.
Last edited by StigJ on Wed May 04, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

oli445

Post by oli445 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:58 am

Will do, thanks :thumbsup:

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Wed May 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Excellent write up and picks - first job on the agenda when I get back to UK next month :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Wed May 04, 2011 9:44 pm

StigJ, good work sir :thumbsup:

Hope you're enjoying the wheel - found it gave excellent feel to the steering. Surprisingly so.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

StigJ

Post by StigJ » Wed May 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks!
The M wheel is one of the best mods so far. Feels so good between my hands :dance: