Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

**** The Definitive Rattles Cure Guide ****

corsaire77

Re: **** The Definitive Rattles Cure Guide ****

Post by corsaire77 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Another element that can an audible as a deep in-dash rattle or a steering column rattle is located above the pedal cover.

1) Remove the cover for pedals
- unscrew three screws and pull

2)
Look deep inside, follow the steering column - you will see a metal element and a plastic box behind it. It is the plastic box that rattles against the metal element. Secure it with double-sided tape.

3)
While you're there down under, take a look at the clip securing a wire harness. It tends to be loose and constitute a possible rattle source. Can be secured with the tape.

4) Reattach the cover for pedals. While doing that, you can also stabilise the lower vent. It tends to jump out of the socket in the pedal cover and hit a metal part above.

Enjoy your rattle-free Zed!

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu May 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Corsaire, either you have the most badly-constructed Zed in the world, or you have a strange obsession... :poke: :P
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

corsaire77

Post by corsaire77 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:32 pm

I had just one rattle (the switch), but yes, as a former Tiburon owner, I'm obsessed with potential future rattles. Nothing better than a preemptive tape strike in the morning! :guns:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Bing wrote:
Stromtech wrote:Annoying squeak behind your head when the hood is down.
It' could be caused by the center panel above the storage compartment:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389322
I have this squeak !! Been driving me mad so I'm delighted there is a fix... Except the key pic showing exactly what to do where is missing :headbang:

Guess I'll just have to figure it out myself :?
Right, I think I have solved this squeak, posting here to complete my contribution with a description and a picture.

So I have done some felting of the centre trim - just used some A4 black sticky-backed felt I got from a craft shop called Hobbycraft. I have put felt :

Where the OEM felt strip was at the top of the trim, but made it larger
All the way down the edges, thin strips (fiddly...)
Under both ends of the springs of the soft-top release handle
Round the spindles of the handle
On the top and bottom edges of where the handle touches the trim ; also very thin strips right along the edge of the handle door at the sides where there was a little obiousl catching / rubbing
On the plastic vanes that push on the latch release mechanism

I also bent the springs back to more of a 'v' so they exert more pressure.

Pic below, with arrows showing most of the locations :

You may consider this excessive, but I really cannot work out exactly where the squeak is coming from, so I went belt and braces... I have a horrible feeling it may be coming from the mechanism itself, which I tried to get out but failed... I took two screws out then couldn't work out what else to do

I have been for a short drive with the roof down on a bouncy road that has always provoked the mouse squeak previously and it appears to have worked... Will report back if that changes over time :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Great post idea, now I'll just be waiting for someone to post a cure on my only rattle:

Symptom: Right behind the passenger's head, in the roof elbow area, rattle when closed. Nothing seems loose or worn in the skeleton joints.
Go Topless

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Location - underneath the car (E86 and possible E85?)
Issue - rattingling noise when driving over bad roads or speed bumps at low speeds.
Problem - handbrake cable fouling against the chassis
Solution - Re-route and re-fasten cable..

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Issue: rather annoying metallic rattle at specific engine speeds, typically idle
Problem: corrosion around cat heat shield +/- speed hump inflicted trauma leads to loosening of the heat shield
Solution: get your friendly local Indy to weld it when the car is in for a service
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

chrisba

Post by chrisba » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:38 pm

Any idea on how to cure a rattle / cracking noise above the drivers head in the plastic covering the roof lock mechanism?
Add your name to the "Welsh Members" thread here
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=59289

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:03 pm

The drivers seat creaks/groans, is not touching anywhere so isnt fouled. I've greased what little of the mechanism is visible including the springs. It feels more like the back side bolsters need tightening...?

Sent from my HTC One X
3.0i

chrisba

Post by chrisba » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:08 pm

T2FFN wrote:The drivers seat creaks/groans, is not touching anywhere so isnt fouled. I've greased what little of the mechanism is visible including the springs. It feels more like the back side bolsters need tightening...?

Sent from my HTC One X
I get this one too, really annoying!
Add your name to the "Welsh Members" thread here
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=59289

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:11 pm

bluestreak56 wrote:Location - underneath the car (E86 and possible E85?)
Issue - rattingling noise when driving over bad roads or speed bumps at low speeds.
Problem - handbrake cable fouling against the chassis
Solution - Re-route and re-fasten cable..

That could be the source of my annoying ( but only over larger bumps or very uneven roads ) rattle .
Its almost lhe noise you would get if the tailgate wasn't latched properly .
I had the broken rear spring done recently but noise still there on occasions , passengers don't here it but i sure do :headbang:
gonna phone my trusted tech tomorrow & sound him out :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

VENDAR

Post by VENDAR » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:05 pm

corsaire77 wrote:Another element that can an audible as a deep in-dash rattle or a steering column rattle is located above the pedal cover.

1) Remove the cover for pedals
- unscrew three screws and pull

2)
Look deep inside, follow the steering column - you will see a metal element and a plastic box behind it. It is the plastic box that rattles against the metal element. Secure it with double-sided tape.

3)
While you're there down under, take a look at the clip securing a wire harness. It tends to be loose and constitute a possible rattle source. Can be secured with the tape.

4) Reattach the cover for pedals. While doing that, you can also stabilise the lower vent. It tends to jump out of the socket in the pedal cover and hit a metal part above.

Enjoy your rattle-free Zed!
Is it possible to reupload the images?

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:40 pm

Bing wrote:
Bing wrote:
Stromtech wrote:Annoying squeak behind your head when the hood is down.
It' could be caused by the center panel above the storage compartment:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389322
I have this squeak !! Been driving me mad so I'm delighted there is a fix... Except the key pic showing exactly what to do where is missing :headbang:

Guess I'll just have to figure it out myself :?
Right, I think I have solved this squeak, posting here to complete my contribution with a description and a picture.

So I have done some felting of the centre trim - just used some A4 black sticky-backed felt I got from a craft shop called Hobbycraft. I have put felt :

Where the OEM felt strip was at the top of the trim, but made it larger
All the way down the edges, thin strips (fiddly...)
Under both ends of the springs of the soft-top release handle
Round the spindles of the handle
On the top and bottom edges of where the handle touches the trim ; also very thin strips right along the edge of the handle door at the sides where there was a little obiousl catching / rubbing
On the plastic vanes that push on the latch release mechanism

I also bent the springs back to more of a 'v' so they exert more pressure.

Pic below, with arrows showing most of the locations :

You may consider this excessive, but I really cannot work out exactly where the squeak is coming from, so I went belt and braces... I have a horrible feeling it may be coming from the mechanism itself, which I tried to get out but failed... I took two screws out then couldn't work out what else to do

I have been for a short drive with the roof down on a bouncy road that has always provoked the mouse squeak previously and it appears to have worked... Will report back if that changes over time :thumbsup:
Nice one Bing I've just attacked mine with sticky felt after having a flock of budgies on my left ear all yesterday, it was driving me nuts! Silence no more tweet, tweet :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Vbstein

Post by Vbstein » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:30 pm

Any updates for the interior rattles?
BMW Z4 3.0I is old but not obsolete.

RenoRaines

Post by RenoRaines » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:39 pm

Front left and right air vents + cupholders

Yesterday I've had enough of nasty rattles and mostly squeaks of front driver and passenger air vents. Squaking all the time. So I decided do throw them in the bin if the squakynessss wouldn't be solved.
You'll need ~15minutes time per side, 1 small flat screw driver, one philips screwdriver and lithium spray.

1. Remove the protective screw cap with small flat screwdriver on top of the phillips screw.
2. Undo the second screw; you open the cup holder to get access.
Mark the screws. Although same length one of them is thinner.
3. Gently pull out the whole vent and cup holder assembly.
Here a video (not mine):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne4Yb_Ud5n0

4. Take a look at the back of the vents. There are a few plastic pieces hot pressed together. If you GENTLY twist the air vent you'll hear the demons squeaking.
5. Take the demon deporter (Lithium grease spay) and spray sparingly on the edges where different plastic pieces meet together.

If you pay a bit of attention when lubing you won't get any grease overspray on the front side of the vent.

6. Install the vent back in place (it fits easily) and screw two screws back in. Be sure not to mix the two screws. But if you do you'll feel one isn't screwing in.
7. Pop the rubber screw covers back on
8. Use a damp cloth or some trim cleaner to wipe the vent down and enjoy the ride. (Well now you'll probably hear more other squeaks and rattles :D )
9. (optional) Repeat on the other side.