Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How To - Steering Wheel Spoke Refurbishment

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun May 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Product used from this refurbishment was Plastidip, a rubberised spray paint.

If your steering wheel is starting to look like this with the rubberised coating wearing off by the wheel and chunks missing this how to will show you how to sort it out and have it looking like new.

smooth/shiney spoke at edge of wheel and scratched and smooth/shiney around MFSW pod.

Scratches clearly visible.

First off disconnect the battery and allow 30 minutes before moving onto next step. This is to ensure the airbag is not fired accidentally.

Remove the airbag as per instructions below

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/15/34

Then remove the four torx screws, one on each side spoke and two on the bottom one. The fixings on the bottom one on mine snapped off and I seem to recall Ranski mentioning this before so seems to be a weak point, some super glue soon sorted that out though.

I wasn't sure how I was going to remove the scratches but luckily using IPA and rubbing with some pressure removed more of the existing coating allowing the scratched to be removed and feathering in the remaining coating. You could remove all if required, but that will take a long time and I can't see any benefit in doing so. At this stage you don't want to be able to feel the difference in the area that changes from one finish to the other.

Ensure you IPA all spokes to remove any oils, just rub lightly any that don't have any scratches.

Spoke ready for Painting.

The are four torx screws on the back of each MFSW pod, remove these and you can extract the smaller of the two switches and also two little inserts. These only fit one way so check before removal (it is obvious though). Mask up the remaining switch and prep with IPA.

I covered the ///M badge with a bit of blue 3M masking tape and taking a new blade carefully cut out as below. It's best to use you finger to indent the tape as much as possible to help see where you need to cut. Take your time with this as you don't want to slip and scratch either the badge or spoke.

The rear spokes were heavily scratched and although I couldn't see or feel them it was worth doing them as they were off the car.

Spray following instruction on can. I did 3-4 coats allowing 30 minutes between each and a couple of hours after the last one before fitting. If you plan on driving the car I would allow longer before fitting to ensure fully set. Only apply thin costs, but if it does go wrong don't panic, let it dry and then peel it off.

I had one part that after the 1st coat I noticed a scratch I hadn't IPA'd enough. Using IPA I was easy able to remove the spray 30 minutes after the first coat.

Finished left spoke and MFSW pod

Close up of ///M badge after finishing.

Fitting back in the car

Job done :D

It took me 24 hours in total, but if you can spray all the bits on one go you could do it in 6 hours or so. I did mine in 3 batches due to space limitations.

Only outstanding question is how well it will stand up to use. As my car is only used at weekend it may last for many years, hopefully somebody who uses their Z4 daily will do it soon and we will have a benchmark. If it doesn't hold up though I will try some acrylic Matt Black spray next time.
Last edited by srhutch on Mon May 21, 2012 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Sun May 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Very nicely done & written ;)

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: How To - Steering Wheel Spoke Refurbishment

Post by Bing » Sun May 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Great write-up srhutch :thumbsup:

Time & delivery of goods permitting I'll do mine next weekend and post some pics for those of us with flappy paddles...

EDIT - I also use mine daily so can report back on wear as and when :driving:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sun May 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Looks brand new! :thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

2dogs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2dogs » Sun May 20, 2012 8:27 pm

srhutch, Do you ever drive your M :wink:
great write up.
Blue Z4MC - now gone

Guiseley

Post by Guiseley » Sun May 20, 2012 8:37 pm

:popcorn: interested to hear how they stand up to regular use.
Blue Z4C now long gone, as is it's replacement, and the Red Zed's gone too.. now piloting a rather tasty Carmine flat6

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun May 20, 2012 9:19 pm

2dogs wrote:srhutch, Do you ever drive your M :wink:
great write up.
last two weekends :driving:

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sun May 20, 2012 10:04 pm

srhutch wrote:
2dogs wrote:srhutch, Do you ever drive your M :wink:
great write up.
last two weekends :driving:
:thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

barryb97

Post by barryb97 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:53 am

What did you spray them with?
CDV del, clutch stp, LeatherZ console, strut bar, PB brakes, TC Kline coilovers, M3 reps, Stromung, Intravee II, paintd reflect, Hdlt wash disable, AS SSK, RTAB lmtrs, Vibra tech, BMW pedals, Skyer frnt. r lip, r defuser, coil cover, rad cover.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon May 21, 2012 6:46 am

barryb97 wrote:What did you spray them with?
The one thing missing from the post :oops:

Have added it now, but it was Plastidip.

Rialas

Post by Rialas » Mon May 21, 2012 9:19 am

Nice post. Thanks.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu May 24, 2012 9:59 pm

Got all the required kit for this, gonna try and fit it in around other more boring stuff on Sunday. Watch out for the 'Where do I buy a new airbag' thread halfway through the day :lol:

Question - what did you use to do the IPA rub srhutch ? A soft cloth, or cotton wool pads ?
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu May 24, 2012 10:04 pm

You'll be fine Bing, only two extra screws (for the paddles) to remove, otherwise same procedure as mine.

Done my other grill now so just need to fit at the weekend. Will also try and take some daylight photos to post up to give people a better idea.

JimmyPop

Post by JimmyPop » Sat May 26, 2012 11:01 pm

Thanks for the write-up. My wheel is in good condition as I bought a MFSW last year but might use this for some other bits on the car.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat May 26, 2012 11:17 pm

I am doing mine right now - not quite as smooth as I expected yet, so I think I'll put the third coat on in a bit, leave overnight to cure, then give all the bits a gentle rub with IPA before the last coat in the morning. Could be my technique though, or trying to do all the bits at once :oops: