Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How To - Steering Wheel Spoke Refurbishment

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Sat May 26, 2012 11:23 pm

I did mine a week or so ago. I'm getting quite good with the plasti dip now as I've sprayed my gixxer k7 in the stuff for a bat-bike stealth look.

It can mark easily, and the 'sheen' changes with use, so I don't think it will last all that long without needing redoing or removing. One area of my steering wheel spoke has a slightly duller finish, from being used/rubbed more often. Not sure if a damp wash would return the finish, not tried yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
3.0i

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: How To - Steering Wheel Spoke Refurbishment

Post by Bing » Sat May 26, 2012 11:27 pm

Hmmm. I have a spray can of clear coat left over from a time when I thought I might do some bumper scuffs on my old focus... Do you think a coat of that would help preserve it if the coating doesn't last, or will it just look sh1t ?
Last edited by Bing on Sun May 27, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Sat May 26, 2012 11:34 pm

It will look like crap. Plasti dip is a great product, like I say my bike is done with the stuff, and when it looks worn you can simply spray another coat ontop or peel it off.

If you like the way it looks Matt black, use real spray paint. This stuff let's you see it, if you don't like it black you can peel it off no harm done.

3.0i

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat May 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Cool - leaving it alone now :D

I like the rubbery feel, hopefully the final coat in the morning will do the trick.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Sun May 27, 2012 12:03 am

The texture is dependent on distance of spray when applied. It needs to be consistent on every coat, the top coat will not smooth out rougher earlier coats. About 5-6inches gives a nice finish. Even after leaving overnight, it will be touch dry but will really 'cure' after being in a hot car. You can tell when it's REALLY cured as the slight tackiness will be gone, even though it's dry it feels different.

3.0i

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue May 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Okay, finally got pics uploaded to Photobucket. Not hijacking srhutch's thread, more supplementing :D

So, the paddles - dead easy, just undo the torx screws circled in red. They slide out, but are still attached with wiring so I just flipped them back to sit on top of the control stalks.

Now the finished article. I didn't have grilles to practice on, and I didn't seem to get as good a finish as srhutch. In fact I stripped the plastidip off three of the parts completely and started again because I messed up the third coat - figured out that I didn't clean the nozzle of the can between uses, which resulted in spatter and bubbles in amongst the spray, if that makes sense. To be honest, the first and second coats looked dead smooth, it was the third that always roughened it up. However the results aren't bad, and better than shiny plastic which the under-colour was beginning to show through :

The bottom looks a bit rough, needs done again if I am honest as I marked it slightly when still tacky :

And finally the edges, which as remarked upon above do seem to lighten up after use. I can confirm some spit fixes this :oops: , so I reckon some rubber treatment might help it hold it's shine :

It is no longer tacky/overly grippy - though I left the bits out in the sun for 4 hours before re-fitting. It looks much better, and actually I am happier with the bits fitted as the wheel looks newer (though the leather is now showing up as worn more than it was :roll: ). If it all wears off too fast then I may do them again, or perhaps get them spray painted matt black by a local chap. The only issue with that may then be chipping. However, a great wee fix championed by srhutch :thumbsup:
Last edited by Bing on Wed May 30, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Wed May 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Hey great work mate,like your flappy paddles! :thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed May 30, 2012 10:43 pm

As you say bingdoesnt look as smooth as mine, wonder if you did the coats to thick.

Will be able to compare week Sunday :driving:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed May 30, 2012 10:46 pm

srhutch wrote:As you say bingdoesnt look as smooth as mine, wonder if you did the coats to thick.

Will be able to compare week Sunday :driving:
We will indeed :thumbsup:

I think I probably did, aided and abetted by not cleaning the nozzle which encouraged over-application . I also shouldn't have tried to do all the bits at once. Live and learn :roll:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed May 30, 2012 10:57 pm

I didn't have to clean the nozzle but was using short bursts of spray only.

TBH your bottom one looks like you've pebble dashed it. :exitright:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed May 30, 2012 11:25 pm

Yeah :oops:

Looks better than it did though, trust me.

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Wed May 30, 2012 11:35 pm

srhutch, Have you got a link to the exact product you used as there are various on the plastidip site?

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu May 31, 2012 8:26 am

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:24 pm

Looks like you applied too much too soon. If you watch the instructional vids, its meant to go on light. This plus close spray distance helps keep it smooth.

Also, its best to spray with the can vertical, i found it spits bigger drips out if spraying on downward angle.

I've done my gsxr600 so have got quite good with it i think.

Sent from my HTC One X
3.0i

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:30 pm

T2FFN wrote:Looks like you applied too much too soon. If you watch the instructional vids, its meant to go on light. This plus close spray distance helps keep it smooth.

Also, its best to spray with the can vertical, i found it spits bigger drips out if spraying on downward angle.

I've done my gsxr600 so have got quite good with it i think.

Sent from my HTC One X
When I get a chance I am going to have another go, taking all said advice above. Must remember to watch this u-tue contraption when doing things like this :oops:

I also want to spray round/under the edges of the side spoke pieces... So I will sit them up on something when I do them again. What I thought might happen has - the left had one has started to peel a teeny bit at the edge after a week of regular use... Being philosophical about it though - you don't learn if you don't try, and you can't be great at everything first time :wink:

Thanks for all the advice by the way :thumbsup: