Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replace Cabin Air Filter

bcworkz

Replace Cabin Air Filter

Post by bcworkz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:35 am

Instructions for replacing the cabin air filter is available as a 620kb PDF Download. Photos are from a facelift LHD vehicle, most of you are probably used to adapting what you see for your RHD applications. :roll:

I had intended to make a how-to directly here with embedded photos, but had difficulty with browser sized images being legible, so I made a PDF instead, in which it's easy to zoom hi-rez photos and they don't take up a lot of kilobytes. It can also be more easily printed and still be legible.

There's also a youtube video on this procedure (completely unrelated to my effort), for those that prefer that format, but be warned that it is for a non-facelift version and there's confusing information on how to orient the filter.

Please post any additional information on variations from different Z4 models here, I will try to add such notes to the PDF so that it applies to all models.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

SamUK

Re: Replace Cabin Air Filter

Post by SamUK » Thu May 07, 2015 11:45 am

Did not know once existed - what is its purpose and how often should it be changed?

thanks

Evil_elvis

Post by Evil_elvis » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:21 am

Fairly sure all/most modern cars have them, to prevent pollen and nasty noxous fumes entering the cabin (active carbon filter).
Its a boggo part of the service schedule (which I don't have) but I know it was changed on my recent oil service so could well be required every service.
EX Ruby Black '08 3.0si Sport Coupe (now e92 M3)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:25 am

Yes - normal service item.
If not changed every couple of years it becomes pretty horrible, smelly and itself a source of odours, dampness and mould growth.

5 min job to change.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:28 pm

i did this the other day as i stumbled across the youtube vid.... a couple of worrying things i noticed.... it didnt have a pollen filter in before (no idea why??) and my car doesnt have the GM5 module there?? what is it for and should mine have it?

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:27 pm

Replaced mine as well - 2.5 i SE and the new one from Eurocarparts didnt seem to have the same thickness to it. When I compared the two the old one had a black inside bit whereas my new one just looked like a flimsy a bit of cotton/paper strands.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:54 pm

You didn't get the activated carbon one.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Gollom122

Replace Cabin Air Filter

Post by Gollom122 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:02 pm

Can someone do me a favour and repost the pdf as the link is dead.
Thanks