Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to replace rearview mirror

Sherms-Z4

How to replace rearview mirror

Post by Sherms-Z4 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Had my 2003 Z4 windshield replaced sometime last year, but have had problems with the rearview mirror falling off since then. Initially, the mirror fell off right away after a couple of days and we had the windshield technician put it back on. Now, several months later it has come off again :headbang: So, at this point, I'm thinking "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself."

So, I was thinking I needed to reglue it, but the metal disk is still there attached to the windshield? I found this on another website:
I think you turn it 90'. There should be a round coin like thing (or puck) glued onto the windshield. Hold the mirror up to it at a 45' or 90' and "feel" where the feet slot into that "puck", then turn it down (clockwise) to the right.
However, I don't really see the "feet slots", so I don't quite understand what to do here?

Also, the rearview mirror itself seems real tight, which might have led to my wife applying a little extra force to move it, which might have resulted in the mirror coming off. So, does anybody have a suggestion on good lubricant for the mirror ... if it even makes a difference ... just WD40?

Thanks - any help will be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Sherms-Z4 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherms-Z4

Re: How to replace rearview mirror

Post by Sherms-Z4 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Ok, I actually got it. The directions I initially quoted were correct (from http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383210); I just had to position it the right way at ... about a 45' angle, which was real PIA because the joint is so tight.

Then, on the topic of what lube to use, I found these 2:
Here is something that worked for me. When the mirror is off the windshield, I put oil on both 'ball joints'

I then move all the parts the full range of motion, twisting and turning as you go along.

I used a light machine oil, but, probably any type of lube will work. The light oil will get into the joints quicker than a heavy oil will. Once you have lubed it and moved it a lot, just wipe off any excess oil. That should free up the joints...

By the way, any mirrors I have had to replace over the years have not had any real problems. Make sure the area is clean, follow the instructions, and wait a few hours before attaching the mirror. Most adhesives need some time to really set up and harden...
what works good for joints like that as well as sway bar grommets is graphite lube. It's powdered graphite in alcohol, i don't use oil in mirrors because of the possibility of softening of the plastic joints that hold the mirror in place and then the mirror droops over every bump. You can make your own lube if you can't find it in your local auto parts store by scraping a pencil lead into a capfull of Alcohol, the Alcohol lets the graphite flow into the joint then evaporates leaving the graphite behind.
:thumbsup:

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Hi and welcome- :thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Welcome to the Forum. What Zed have you got?

Put an introduction on the newbies forum with pics.... :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Sherms-Z4

Post by Sherms-Z4 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:50 am

Thanks much for welcoming me ... now that I've found the Z4-forum, I'll be around here allot.

I have a 2003 Z4 3.0i that I very much enjoy!

Cheers,
John

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:21 pm

I like the idea of using alcohol as a dispersant for graphite, though I would spring for purpose made graphite lubricant rather than waste time scraping a pencil lead, which is not pure graphite. Thanks for the tip and welcome!

Also, FWIW, WD-40 is not a very good lubricant, in particular it doesn't last very long. It has many legitimate uses, but long lasting lubrication is not one of them.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)