Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retrofit Cupholders (half finished!)

Sephanite

Re: Retrofit Cupholders (half finished!)

Post by Sephanite » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:01 am

my cup holders are actually pushed in and dont pop out. is that broken or just jammed? pushed to one side by passengers not know its a push to release and started picking on the edges

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:21 pm

Sephanite wrote:my cup holders are actually pushed in and dont pop out. is that broken or just jammed? pushed to one side by passengers not know its a push to release and started picking on the edges
Probably just jammed a little - a screwdriver and cloth/pivot should let you prise that open.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

OwenT

Post by OwenT » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Dont get the complaints about these, I agree with an earlier post that people who say they slop and dont hold things properly arent tightening the bar that moves in and out to the size of the cup they are holding... :wink:

As for being flimsey, i've had 1 litre bottles in there no probs, do u really need bigger? Also mine don't rattle.. (everything else does but thats another thread :evil: )
Now: Z4 sDrive 23i M Sport, 2010, Alpine White, Coral Red Leather & 19" 326M Double Spokes. Then: Z4 2.0i SE, 2006, Sapphire Black, 17" Turbines

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:17 pm

I have no probs with mine at all. Great retrofit and hold a typical UK cup just perfect. I think some of the probs come from the West Coast where they drink coke out of buckets just large enough to wash off a car with (I'm just jealous of the climate that justifies that much coke drinking)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

jamesdean

Post by jamesdean » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:42 am

Ordered some yesterday - really nice bloke at Wayside Milton Keynes... extremely helpful!

Retrofit version (with additional screws and accessories) was £20+VAT each side :)
Z4 2.0 SE '07

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:16 am

Fitted the OEM cupholders on Saturday. Very straight forward, thanks to the instructions on this thread. I don't often have drinks in the car, but at least I'll have somewhere to mount my N95 to use the sat-nav (or at least Google Maps).

£20.49 each +VAT from the main dealer, two day delivery. Strangely, given that I'd asked for two and ordered two cupholders, they managed to order only one Torx bolt. Thankfully it's a standard diameter so I had some Pozidriv (Phillips) self-tapping bolts of the same size on hand and used them instead (I don't know why the OEM item is a Torx, as the screws securing the vent are Pozidriv; surely having them all the same would be easier?).

To elaborate on the directions given earlier in the thread, for the benefit of others: -
- The caps on the upper screws securing the vent assembly are soft, rubberised and flexible. A jewellery (or similar small) flat head screwdriver pops them off easily if you slide it behind from the lower door-side corner. I tried a few methods and this was the best.
- The vent assembly can take a bit of shifting from the dash. This is because there's a retaining sprung clip (IIRC on the inboard side) holding it into the dash against the back of the portal. Due to the lack of study places to grip the vent assembly to overcome the restraint of the clip, I loosened it by prying with a small screwdriver. I slid the screwdriver between the back of the top of the vent and the dash, accessed from the door side (i.e. sliding the screwdriver inboard along the seam between vent and dash visible from above the vent). Take care though because both dash and vent are soft and easily marked.
Andrew

Current: 2015 F33 435i Auto M Sport - Estoril Blue
Former: 2008 E88 125i Auto M Sport - Titanium Silver
Former: 2004 E85 3.0i SMG SE - Maldives Blue

Delpel

Post by Delpel » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:32 pm

Don't know if this has been mentioned - The upper corner screw has a slightly different head to that of the lower one. To accommodate the rubber cap.

If you screw them in the wrong holes the top one won't tighten up or retain the rubber cap.

I can't imagine how I found that snippet out :roll: :roll: :roll:

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:56 am

Delpel wrote:Don't know if this has been mentioned - The upper corner screw has a slightly different head to that of the lower one. To accommodate the rubber cap.

If you screw them in the wrong holes the top one won't tighten up or retain the rubber cap.

I can't imagine how I found that snippet out :roll: :roll: :roll:
Yup, me too. :oops:
Andrew

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:52 pm

Just fitted my cup holders! Easy! :thumbsup: :)
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:40 am

Did a road-test on the 2 cup holders last night!

They passed the acceleration test (off the lights!), the handling test (good bendy B road with a few roundabouts!) and the braking test! No rattles and the drink bottles (Lucozade Sport) stayed put! :D :thumbsup:

May try a G&T and a BUD later! :P
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:13 am

Breaker wrote:May try a G&T and a BUD later! :P
Yeah, I'm off up to the Lakes this weekend; looking forward to testing my cup holders with some Warsteiner Fresh (zero alcohol, naturally) as a prelude to the crate of Warsteiner Premium in the boot.
Andrew

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am

Fitted mine at the weekend but not used them yet.

Thanks for all the info on here (and the thread James also did with the PDF they were a doddle to fit :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

jay stride

Post by jay stride » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Great instructions guys :D Just fitted mine today ...the hardest part was getting the rubber caps off!

Now.... what else can I lever off and replace whilst I'm in the mood? :roll:

goose

Post by goose » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:09 pm

Hey guys,

Where did you all get yours from? main dealer?
Z4 2.2i SE, silver with red leather,
Mods so far - 3" stubby, cupholders, silver grilles and Ice Link Plus

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:16 pm

goose wrote:Hey guys,

Where did you all get yours from? main dealer?
a fellow forum member :D

Available from the dealers though for about £25 a side...
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso