Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear Light Facelift Update Cheap How to

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Rear Light Facelift Update Cheap How to

Post by PawnSacrifice » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 pm

Excellent work, yg54sg, pioneering stuff!

My preference is pre-facelift to be honest, although facelift is a fresher look. BUT a great write up and a great addition to the forum, thanks for the effort... helps make this "place" such a good resource :thumbsup:

Preference aside, if I cannot get my bumper sorted I may be back for this... I could switch to an M rear bumper!
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

dyerkes

Post by dyerkes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:53 am

Anybody know what the part number is the for the frame surrounds that fit around the tail lights?

Thanks,
David

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:14 am

Hi David, I pick the 2 frame surrounds and bumper support up tomorrow for Sytner, I will post the numbers off the invoice for you on here.

Thanks
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:43 am

Hi and welcome

Great first write up. :thumbsup:

Like a few others have already said and you intimated I prefer and always have the pre-facelift rear lights especially when fitted with clear Quad Spots. :)
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

easty027

Post by easty027 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:45 pm

great write-up ! im now quite tempted, i like the white quad lendes i have now, but i think the new rear lights look a bit smoother and less cluttered. also love the led band at night time !

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Great job on the write up. I read all through it despite the fact I have no intention of ever doing it to my Z4 - I much prefer the prefacelift rear lights...
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:04 pm

Agree I think if they had stuck with the old design (the circles) but made it smooth without the plastic painted piece in the middle along with the curve shape of the new bumper it would look better.... I dont know why but the new lights seem to make the rear of the car 'fatter' despite the bumpers being the same size.

I have been experimenting with LED bulbs, would be nice to get them all LED in there, up to now... 3w Luxeon, SMD, and normal cluster LED ones... will post a new thread when I come up with the best for each application. Up to now, no LED is as bright as the stock 21w brake lamp bulb so therefore not good enough! However, there are a couple more to arrive yet! :-)
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

easty027

Post by easty027 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:50 pm

It looks fatter due to the led strip running horizontal across the back of the car, visually looks wider. as for the the pre-facelift, the round lenses make the car look more rounded. suppose thats the reason i like te newer style?.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:06 pm

Intersting in particular seeing the lights on a prefacelift Sterling grey.

For me when I compare the new and the old there is no doubt the standard orange and red prefacelift lens look dated. That said the facelift light to me just looks like a change for the sake of change and has no character. The 4 white spot is what suits the car and matches all its curves and contours.

Beauty of this though is the customisation and getting what we each like and enjoy :thumbsup:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

dyerkes

Post by dyerkes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Does anybody know the part number for the factory light control module so that I can forgo splicing and soldering wires?

Thanks,
David

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:02 pm

dyerkes wrote:Does anybody know the part number for the factory light control module so that I can forgo splicing and soldering wires?

Thanks,
David
You do know how much this option would cost you dont you?

I think you will go for this work around when you find out. :wink:

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:50 am

Theres the programming issue aswell, if you have updated rear lights aparently the newer light control modules expect the newer front xenons so it needs to be programmed to accept new rears and old fronts so I am told. You also need to run 2 wires from the light control module to the back of the car through the correct channels where bmw run the wires.... that sounded like a nightmare to me, if you dont want to use soldering iron use some automotive push connecters, just make sure you tape them up so water cant get into them.... Based on the fact it took sytners 3 attempts to get my doors to lock when I drive off and disable the alarm flash on disarm/arm I couldnt imagine explaining the extra programming to them. I mean you could prob get one from breakers like quarry motors bmw cheaper than sytner but you still need someone in the know to program it.

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:58 am

For me when I compare the new and the old there is no doubt the standard orange and red prefacelift lens look dated. That said the facelift light to me just looks like a change for the sake of change and has no character. The 4 white spot is what suits the car and matches all its curves and contours.

I think they did it to bring it inline with the rest of the lineup if you look they all have the long tail light along the top of the light, 5,3,6 at least, not looked at 1 and x series. Those LED tail light bars within it are pretty sexy at night but having said that the round ring on the preface lift looks great too, like 2 afterburners! Its in the daylight I just cant get on with all the different lines around that area but each to his own... the clear pre facelift white version I would say equals the looks as the facelift as long as you source the opposite white so they are symertical like most of you have done :-)

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Mon May 10, 2010 1:38 am

have now fixed the broken images and loaded to a new server - how do i put this post in the how to?

I have yet to add on the surround pieces and under bumper support, will get round to this during the week. I have yet to also make the modifications so the brake light each side does not light up at half brightness as a taillight. I intend to sort this by taking a feed from the centre brake light and using a relay OR integrating high brightness LED bulbs and taking the feed straight from centre brake light to run them (so no relay needed as not much of a load) will repost when I am done :-)

B51.71.7.167.256 LEFT FRAME £36.34
B51.71.7.167.256 RIGHT FRAME £36.34
B51.12.7.158.875 SUPPORT - £44.81

Daylight robbery if you ask me, to be honest if I was to do this again and I prob would not bother, the old support can be cut to fit, and the frame surrounds just hide a little of the gaps on the lights, see pics above... however at least it is all done properly :-)

My next project will be clear fronts.... cutting open those headlights like cj10jeeper has done....

Thanks

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Mon May 10, 2010 4:13 am

Excellent write up :thumbsup:

Never say never CJ...... :P
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net