Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear Light Facelift Update Cheap How to

half

Re: Rear Light Facelift Update Cheap How to

Post by half » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:14 am

truly good! optimal job and optimal book review! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nahodo

Post by nahodo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:30 am

hi all,
may i just introduce myself briefly - I'm Nam and I'm a happy Z4 owner coming from Germany. I was very impressed when I found this article because I was very keen to upgrade my prefacelift z4 with the new tail lights.
without your post i haven't tacled this project because on the german z4 pages i just read several times that you need the light control module from facelift which is very expensive.

just to contribute. i found elegant solutions for your issues:

1. the tail lights and break light is on
well, to prevent the "t" effect, you just have to code your light control module - in german the code is:
BREMSLICHT_ALS_STANDLICHT
nicht_aktiv

this means the breaklight should not longer work as your side markers and then they are off. everything works as intended (break, tail light..)

2. flickering of taillight / 6V issue
well, you took the power of the light of your plate sign - you can also program your light control module as follows:

PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_SL_RE_HI
wert_01

PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_SL_LI_HI
wert_01

this gives 12v to the tail lights without further modications.

this works out perfectly with my 2003 Z4 - hence no really need to buy the new light control module.

3. bulbs in the cockpit / dashboard
just deactive the checkcontrols and everything is fine.

this week, i bring my new bumper to the body shop and then i can finalize my project :-)

thanks for your great post!
cheers Nam
Last edited by nahodo on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my Z4 with a lot of mods..
[urlhttp://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29419[/url]

nahodo

Post by nahodo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:31 am

p.s. I do write a post on our german z4 website...

http://www.motor-talk.de/blogs/audi-a3- ... 19777.html

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:03 pm

great post.. how do you send codes to the LCM? :roll:
Imola Z4MR #0026 6 yrs, & 66k so far..

ZED_NOT_ZEE

Post by ZED_NOT_ZEE » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks nahodo. Do you need a GT1 to reprogram the LCM?
I'd like to do this project too... found someone who crashed their Z4 Coupe and is parting it out. Could take the whole rear end from them.

Also for the rusting rebar in the original pictures. A good sanding, then coat it with truck bed liner, or waterproof wheel well liner, let it harden over night. Then remount the bumper.
Z4 3.0i SMG - Sport/Prem/Nav. Gray on Red (year-round beater)
e46 M3 SMG II - Cold/Heat/Lux. Black on Black (summer beater)
e36 M3 5-Speed - Cold/Lux. Black on Black (winter beater)
Suzuki GS500F - No options. Black/White (city beater)

nahodo

Post by nahodo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:02 pm

hey guys, you use an interface cable and the software "ncsexpert" - very common for coding BMW.
It costs me only 20 euro... and it's great, I can adjust several options in my z!

nahodo

Post by nahodo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:22 pm

now I finished the retrofit! it was not that complicated and thanks again for this great article!

james_king

Post by james_king » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:51 pm

nahodo nice job, just wondering what interface cable you used? and where you managed to get it and the software from? Thanks
BMW Z4 3.0I 2003 - Sapphire Black - 18" CSL Alloys BMautosport / michelin pilot sport 3 - Retrofit AUX Cable / Cruise Control

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:35 pm

I need to STOP looking at this thread and getting ideas :o :D
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

nahodo

Post by nahodo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:45 pm

hey dreamer,

i had the same problem but each time when i see my car i'm so glad that I did this mod.

it's an interface cable like this and using ncsexpert software.

so really a small issue to adapt rear facelift lights to prefacelift.

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:13 am

Great addition nahodo to the thread! Now there is even less messing around for anyone else who tries this! I really do think it makes the rear of the Z4 a lot more fresh looking and wider but each to his own. I still have not decided what to do with my front bumper when i do my angel eye mod and clear lights like CJ. I have sourced some pefect 80mm LED rings that are a bright perfect white and its hard to tell they are a ring made up of LED's I just need some time now to get it all fitted.

Your car looks great... Now there are 2 Sterling Grey 3.0 cars with updated rear lights in the world :-) Excellent stuff! :thumbsup:

One piece of advice i can give to anyone else... be very careful when positioning the new lights, one of mine was too low (by a few mm) play in the bolt holes and it has rubbed paint a little of the bumper. I can only notice it but its annoying all the same! The updated rears have sharp edges around the light so a small gap needs to be seen right the way around the light.
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:14 am

I also like your clear third brake light... updates the look further I may have to buy one as mine is cracked at the edge!
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

nahodo

Post by nahodo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:06 am

ZED_NOT_ZEE wrote:Thanks nahodo. Do you need a GT1 to reprogram the LCM?
I'd like to do this project too... found someone who crashed their Z4 Coupe and is parting it out. Could take the whole rear end from them.

Also for the rusting rebar in the original pictures. A good sanding, then coat it with truck bed liner, or waterproof wheel well liner, let it harden over night. Then remount the bumper.
what the hell is a GT1? :-)

nahodo

Post by nahodo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:07 am

yg54sg wrote:Great addition nahodo to the thread! Now there is even less messing around for anyone else who tries this! I really do think it makes the rear of the Z4 a lot more fresh looking and wider but each to his own. I still have not decided what to do with my front bumper when i do my angel eye mod and clear lights like CJ. I have sourced some pefect 80mm LED rings that are a bright perfect white and its hard to tell they are a ring made up of LED's I just need some time now to get it all fitted.

Your car looks great... Now there are 2 Sterling Grey 3.0 cars with updated rear lights in the world :-) Excellent stuff! :thumbsup:

One piece of advice i can give to anyone else... be very careful when positioning the new lights, one of mine was too low (by a few mm) play in the bolt holes and it has rubbed paint a little of the bumper. I can only notice it but its annoying all the same! The updated rears have sharp edges around the light so a small gap needs to be seen right the way around the light.
mine is only a 2.5i, but it looks faster :-) I really like sterling grey with the new tail lights. I also tried the red break light but i prefer the clear ones... looks bit cleaner.

komec

Post by komec » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:03 am

Ok.. Everything else is almost clear, but how exactly i deactivate checkcontrols? I tired to search and google, but with no luck :(
I'm going to do this mod soon also..