Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front Bumper Removal - DIY by mister_roger

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Bing,

Could you post the price when you get them? As I probably need to fit new bumper clips - thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: Front Bumper Removal - DIY by mister_roger

Post by Bing » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:45 pm

ranski wrote:Bing,

Could you post the price when you get them? As I probably need to fit new bumper clips - thanks

Will do - didn't go today, decided I couldn't be bothered :P I'll order them Monday...
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:06 pm

Going to do this tomorrow... Just for public record, the two bumper clips for either side are approx £21 plus VAT. Each :cry:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:10 pm

Good luck!

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:14 pm

ranski wrote:Good luck!
Thanks, could get exciting... Though all I am doing is replacing the clips and doing some heating / bending of the arch liner, so fingers crossed I don't start sending panic PMs to you and/or cj :D

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Managed to do this without breaking anything, so thanks to the OP :thumbsup: :yeah:

I will post some photos later as the side clips were in a right state, and we're a b*tch to get off. It all sits a lot better with the new clips, but I don't think it will cure my rubbing issue entirely. I reckon that the front wing panel is not quite the right shape and that it dragging things down a bit. Took the car to my Indy for a look this morning and he reckons there is nothing mechanical they can do to sort it. Hair dryer won't work as it is ribbing right on the bend in the trim, not behind it. So I guess I need to live with it :x :cry:

jamiecarpenter

Post by jamiecarpenter » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Great write up.

Today I replaced the clips on both sides and replaced the reflectors.

On doing this I found various screws and trim fastening missing, obviously from the last time the bumper was taken off, by the garage (anyone got any spare).

Also I was unable to unscrew two of the torque bolts under the bonnet due to be overly tightened and the teeth being chewed up. Anyone got any suggestions on how I could get these off, other than having to drill them out? As the bumper, is sitting too low and needs realigning.
Silver Grey 3.0 si 06. Retrofitted sat nav, Cruise Control, Intravee, Door Cards and Heated Seats.

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:17 pm

Well done Bing mate-looking forward to the write up! :thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

BPM-Z4R

Post by BPM-Z4R » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Great write up :thumbsup: used it today

Mowflow

Post by Mowflow » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Good how to although I wasted quite a bit of ttime looking for the other 3 screws under the car. I only had 2 each side.
Mk7 Golf R
Peugeot 205GTi

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Okay, some photos from my bumper removal. This is the bumper clips before swapping them over, not nice, wide / wobbly panel gaps :

As said elsewhere, when removing the bumper it is very important to pull the edge up before pulling out as this helps to unclip the edges on the underside. Here is the state of my clip on the driver side (the passenger side was worse) :

Clearly broken, but in case you didn’t notice (the 'clip' you can see sits behind the wing mounting and stops the arch liner and the arched edge of the bumper moving when it is all together) :

Getting these out without a proper trim removal tool is a b1tch as there are 3 or 4 feck off big clips that it is impossible to push from the inside without taking the wheels of and getting right inside the front of the arch. Having Eibachs and spacers doesn’t help, :oops: so I had to break them up very gently using a pair of snips to cut through the plastic and a small screw driver wrapped in cloth. When doing this you need to be careful not to bend the metal of the wing out of shape round the clip holes otherwise the new ones won’t sit flush. Here is what was left of the old clips when I was done :

New clips in, you can see it looks they have changed the design and added some strength by completely surrounding that bolt above the light fitting... It may have been broken on the old one but I didn’t think so when I had a look :

All back together – not perfect (maybe I bent the fitting holes a little...), but much, much better :

sk15kev

Post by sk15kev » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:49 am

I have a loose front fog light behind the front bumper so this will probably come in very handy.

If the spot is loose, could it be a simple adjustment or should I expect to find something broken?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:51 am

Could just be a missing or loose screw... But before you whip the bumper off have a butchers through the lower access panel in the wheel arch. Either take the wheel off (hassle, but best access) or turn the wheel all the way out on the offending side to get the space you need. Not in - the wheel stays in the way too much.

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Nice write-up. I had to replace my left/rear bumper retainer clip over the winter (while in storage) and it was also a b1tch to remove, needed to be broken off (literally what it said on TIS) with pliers.
Go Topless

Rico

Post by Rico » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Great write up,very helpful. :thumbsup:
I removed my front bumper as my headlight was not in alignment with the wing,only took 1 hour to complete.