Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front Bumper Removal - DIY by mister_roger

sk15kev

Re: Front Bumper Removal - DIY by mister_roger

Post by sk15kev » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:08 pm

I tried to have a good look on Sunday at the fog light that was loose in the front bumper. As advised I opened the access panel, but without a ramp I found it nearly impossible to see inside.

Instead I just had a good feel around. The light is firmly within a mount, but the mount itself wasn't hooked in. From the feel of it, there should be a clip onto the top of the bumper but there is nothing there.

Before I take the full bumper off when the weather is a bit better, I suspect I'm going to be missing a few clips an dscrews. Any ideas where to get them from?

JaEdBa

Post by JaEdBa » Fri May 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Afternoon,

I had my front bumper sprayed a while ago and the paintshop damaged a clip removing it.

Being a bit fussy I decided to buy replacements and get the garage to replace them - are the old ones that tricky to get off? To be fair to the garage they've agreed to do it if I supply the part (£28 / side...!) but is it a real 'mare to get the old ones off?

thanks

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri May 17, 2013 4:09 pm

JaEdBa, £28 a side ? I paid £25 incl. vat... Though £3 is hardly a huge difference lol

They are a pain to get off - the ONLY way is to use snips and carefully cut them apart then wiggle the bits out - i believe this is the way described in the BMW TIS too. You can see the results of mine earlier in this thread. Careful not to bend the lip of the wing where it clips in whilst you're doing it otherwise the new one won't fit flush. It is a PITA but with care is not hard.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Fri May 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Bing wrote:JaEdBa, £28 a side ? I paid £25 incl. vat... Though £3 is hardly a huge difference lol

They are a pain to get off - the ONLY way is to use snips and carefully cut them apart then wiggle the bits out - i believe this is the way described in the BMW TIS too. You can see the results of mine earlier in this thread. Careful not to bend the lip of the wing where it clips in whilst you're doing it otherwise the new one won't fit flush. It is a PITA but with care is not hard.
Looks like you'll be coming round mine when my Aero needs to be fitted
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri May 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Jembo wrote:
Bing wrote:JaEdBa, £28 a side ? I paid £25 incl. vat... Though £3 is hardly a huge difference lol

Looks like you'll be coming round mine when my Aero needs to be fitted
Be happy too :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

JaEdBa

Post by JaEdBa » Fri May 17, 2013 9:58 pm

if you knew where to aim could you drill them out?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri May 17, 2013 11:02 pm

With the bumper off, and the new ones as a reference... Perhaps, with a very very low speed setting. I'd still snip a load of bits off though. Don't stress though - if I can do it, pretty much anyone could. I am a cack-handed tw@t :lol:

JaEdBa

Post by JaEdBa » Sat May 18, 2013 3:15 pm

got 2 for £48, told the chap behind the counter that his colleague said I could have a discount. tell you what - they're good value for money....f***ing hell, 2 bits of plastic! that's definitely one to keep quiet on the domestic finances front....

i'd do it myself but I suspect it'd be one of those jobs you start and wish you hadn't so i'll let the garage do it - I asked them if the clips were ok when the bumper was off.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:58 pm

mister_roger wrote:Step 1:

Start by removing the expanding tabs along each fenderwell. These tabs function by having a small plastic rod become inserted down the middle, causing the tab to expand and lock in place. To remove these tabs, take the tiny screwdrive and PUSH the rods all the way in until you hear them fall. Don't worry, you'll be able to recover them when the bumper is removed.
Cheers for the instructions - removed my bumper yesterday and they came in really handy. :)

I was a bit caught out though - the expanding tabs mentioned above were not re-usable in my case (or I'm being thick!).

The only way I can see that they might be re-used is if you save the plastic pins and push them into the tabs from behind, i.e. inside the bumper. This is difficult to do for some of them and almost impossible for the ones at the top/bottom of the wheel arch.

Got a bit worried because I was short of time and had to get the bumper back on properly, but managed to rig up something with small black tie-wraps:

With the above arrangement you can crank up the tension on the tabs to match the OEM items and then snip the excess tie wrap off with a pair of scissors; a little tip for anyone else that gets themselves into a similarly irrecoverable situation! Will get some more tabs on order from Sopers and fit them properly one day.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:29 pm

Nice patch up job :thumbsup:

Definitely the wrong ones though.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:53 am

Bing wrote:Nice patch up job :thumbsup:

Definitely the wrong ones though.
Aha! Cheers Bing.

So how do the correct ones work when you come to putting everything back together? My bumper's been off before at some point for a respray (previous owner) and maybe it was reassembled with the wrong type of tab.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk 4
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:22 am

Nope after the facelift it seems that the expanding tabs are not reusable. Got some reusable ones for £2 from eBay.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:40 am

Well mine's a facelift and it had (has) the push through reusable type. They just have a smooth pin that pushes through the hole and forces the tabs behind to expand. They are only about 50% reusable though - I lost about half the pins the first time I took the bumper off :lol:

zagamuffin

Post by zagamuffin » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:56 am

With the bumper removed, you should see the 4 expanding tab pins that dropped. Save them for use later.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/ ... 11.jpg[img]

Had my bumper off to fit new hd liters today, what are the two elec connections pics above, one is outside temp I'd say, what's the other ??
2003 2.5 silvery goldish
gaptech,19" ispiris,iPod kit,xcite halos,load of petrol

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:12 am

zagamuffin wrote:With the bumper removed, you should see the 4 expanding tab pins that dropped. Save them for use later.

Had my bumper off to fit new hd liters today, what are the two elec connections pics above, one is outside temp I'd say, what's the other ??
I can only see one picture - that does look like a temp sensor (part number 61318370747). Did you ever figure this out?