Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Addng Rear Fog light and Side Marker Lights to US Spec Zeds

MarkC

Addng Rear Fog light and Side Marker Lights to US Spec Zeds

Post by MarkC » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:24 pm

This is for US Specs pre-face lift version (03'-05') with the rear round reverse lights. Face lift models may be similar.

Disclaimer:
Whatever you do to your own car is your own responsibility.

Rear Foglight:
One way would to add a fog light is by using a rear red lamp to the rear of the car, wired directly to the battery with a relay and an aftermarket illuminated switch attached to the dash. This is what most conversion shops use, but I didn't do it that way. For my conversion I used an LED bulb for the fog light.

Marker lights
UK regs require two front white lights, while in the US it is amber. I used LED lamps which satisfy UK regs and passes the MOT.
MarkC

Note: Edited to minimize information acquired by those who would use it to profit from.
Last edited by MarkC on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Addng Rear Fog light and Side Marker Lights to US Spec Zeds

Post by Aebous » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:39 am

Thanks a bunch!

I'm a bit unclear on the side markers. Your referring to the lights with the bmw roundels on them correct?
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:18 am

Aebous wrote:Thanks a bunch!

I'm a bit unclear on the side markers. Your referring to the lights with the bmw roundels on them correct?
Hi, thanks :)
I didn't use power from the side BMW roundel lights but I'm sure it could be used some how.

I'll update the 'how-to', I also have some pics but need to find a place to store them (don't know if I can upload them here?).

Thanks, MarkC
Note: Edited to minimize information acquired by those who would use it to profit from.
Last edited by MarkC on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:59 pm

Ohhh, ok. I'm bagging what your raking on the side lights now :D

Flikr works well with this forum.
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:55 am

Question, for the rear "foglight bulb" You mentioned you used a 1watt LED bulb.....are they that bright that it will pass inspection? Or is there a special type of automotive LED?
ZEEEE 4

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:18 pm

Aebous wrote:Question, for the rear "foglight bulb" You mentioned you used a 1watt LED bulb.....are they that bright that it will pass inspection? Or is there a special type of automotive LED?
I used an automotive style LED bulb, it passed the MOT with out any issues.
Last edited by MarkC on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:28 am

Another question, now that I have looked at the bulb/housing in question, am I understanding correctly that you basically "deleted" one reverse light?
I.E. just put the bulb in the housing and left it in the trunk not visible outside the car?
ZEEEE 4

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:07 pm

Aebous wrote:Another question, now that I have looked at the bulb/housing in question, am I understanding correctly that you basically "deleted" one reverse light?
I.E. just put the bulb in the housing and left it in the trunk not visible outside the car?
Yes, you can use one reverse light as done in the UK and EU pre-facelift Z4s.