Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

108 refurb project - How i did it

VENDAR

Re: 108 refurb project - How i did it

Post by VENDAR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:45 pm

So i got a question regarding the splitting of the rims. If you split a rim and then when you get them back together you don't merge the star part with the rest of the rim at exactly the way they were, meaning that you screw the star in different holes than it was before the splitting, will this affect the weighting of the wheel?

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 pm

I think they only go together one way due to the valve. I am sure someone will confirm.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

VENDAR

Post by VENDAR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:50 pm

That's something i haven't thought of. You are probably right! :thumbsup:

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:54 pm

No problem hope I am right. If I am the forum is working well as usual :thumbsup:
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

simvaughan1

Post by simvaughan1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:42 pm

I'm in the process of starting my manual refurb on a set I recently bought from a fellow forumer :)

They are pretty badly corroded, especially in the inner part of the wheel so it's going to be a complete strip down, polish up and lacquer.

What was your reason for not doing the stars yourself, other than that you wanted a particular colour? I really need some machine tools :P

Black Sapphire3.0i, Xenons, Heated M-Sport seats, Multi-Function Steering Wheel, 107 Alloys, Park Sensors, and Cruise Control!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:36 pm

I have not got round to mine yet it's just what I have read. I got myself a cheep cheep set of m3 replica 19" wheels so i could but i love the look. So might keep the 108s for track days but I will do them. As soon as I can I will see if I can get the rims on a lathe. If I can I would be happy to help :thumbsup:

simvaughan1

Post by simvaughan1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Cool :) Gonna attack it with a wire brush attachment first and see how that goes :P Nice little project :)

Black Sapphire3.0i, Xenons, Heated M-Sport seats, Multi-Function Steering Wheel, 107 Alloys, Park Sensors, and Cruise Control!

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Not sure how I've never seen this thread before but that's a lovely job on those. Until now I'd entirely forgotten about the existence of nitromores.

I'll be using that on my style 32's to make them silver. :D
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

VENDAR

Post by VENDAR » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 am

Since alot of you guys already tried it i have another question regarding home refurbing. To be honest my wheels are in mint condition and do not need any refurbing. I just want to change my star to matte black and my question is if there will be any problem to separate the 2 parts of the rim with the wheel still on the rim. Will this action damage the rim or it is ok to do so?

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:04 pm

No.

The only issue you may find is that some bolts are EXTREMELY stuck, and end up snapping. This is highly unlikely if your wheels are already mint so you should just be able to undo all 20 and crack on.
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

VENDAR

Post by VENDAR » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:17 pm

Good to know! i have already bought 20 spare bolts from ebay in case any of them snap, i will also use some WD40 to loosen up the bolts so if this will be my only problem then i am already half way through my project :thumbsup:

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:50 pm

It's not having a spare, it's being able to get the snapped on out, trust me.

Where did you buy 20 bolts from? Or did you buy a wheel and remove them?

VENDAR

Post by VENDAR » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:05 pm

I have never tried it myself but from what i've read and from the videos i saw it is a standar procedure to take a snapped screw out from the hole so i hope it won't be much of a problem....Link to the seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/Titanium-Split- ... 256eeefc5c. He gave me a discount for buying a large quantity. Got all 20 for 50,00GBP

andicole0

Post by andicole0 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:39 pm

VENDAR wrote:I have never tried it myself but from what i've read and from the videos i saw it is a standar procedure to take a snapped screw out from the hole so i hope it won't be much of a problem....Link to the seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/Titanium-Split- ... 256eeefc5c. He gave me a discount for buying a large quantity. Got all 20 for 50,00GBP
It might be standard practice to "take a snapped screw out from the hole" but it isn't that easy. If you mean removing the top part then yes but the threaded bit stuck in the rim, that's another matter. The bolts are titanium and therefore very hard, they are extremely difficult to drill into, you have to get the drill absolutely center or you'll damage the thread and that's a pain to fix as well. My first attempts were to use longer and longer T-bars but I've since heard it's better to use some sort of shock device, the long bar just twists the bit that moves and they eventually snap.

Also I'm not sure I'd remove the star without first removing the tyre. I have no idea of the forces involved but I'd be cautious of having huge rubber band around a metal ring with no support.

Andi.

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:04 pm

I did wonder that Andi, (whether the wheels needs the centre to be on to be able to withstand the pressure of the tyre).

Be interesting to see if someone removed it successfully with tyre on..