Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Strut Tower Brace

daveysew

Re: BMW Strut Tower Brace

Post by daveysew » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:27 pm

FWIW the instructions that come with the DINAN brace instruct you to fit the brace with the car on flat, level ground and to tighten the supplied nuts to 18 ft-lbs
2005 Z4 3.0 Supercharged
1988 325iX
2003 R1150R Rockster

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:02 am

Finally got my OEM brace fitted-glorious afternoon and I had time to finish... I'm hoping it doesn't rub on the air intake as it sits *right* on it. It's going to be a bit of a PITA, though, as I'll have to remove the cross piece before I get my oil changed. Good thing it's only once a year! :D

Before:

another angle:

possible rub point:

right bracket on:

left bracket on:

cross piece on:

cross piece tight against the air intake:

I'm hoping that doesn't rub. Shouldn't if it doesn't move, right? Sorry for the dust, but we're steady into pollen season, :cry: .
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.

Caddyshk

Post by Caddyshk » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:15 am

Funny - It's a better application on the M? Looks good - hope you don't need oil :rofl: BTW - Put the black nut caps on...
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158
SS Race M, RE X Pipe, FS Headers/DFK Sec 1, OE STB, DZ CDV, AS SS, GC CoilOvers, SP FCAB, RE RTAB, VT Engine Mts, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC, RE Clutch Stop, RE Tran Mounts, LeatherZ MSB, Tekarbon Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:27 am

Caddyshk wrote:Funny - It's a better application on the M? Looks good - hope you don't need oil :rofl: BTW - Put the black nut caps on...
I have them. This was a used brace so should they still fit tightly enough? Don't want anything flying around in there...
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:39 am

Might want to put a bit of glue to keep them in place. Otherwise they WILL fly off eventually.
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:07 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:Might want to put a bit of glue to keep them in place. Otherwise they WILL fly off eventually.
suggestions on type of glue? Just a dab of Elmer's? Remember, I have to take off the cross brace to change oil.

First impressions are positive. Maybe I'm searching for effect, but the car seems more "up on her toes" and not quite a flat footed-might also have to do with tightening the factory firewall-to-tower brace (was tight by firewall, but at the towers, one needed a good quarter turn to hit 25 ft.lbs). Also seems that I get better feedback through the steering wheel. Bumps seem to hit more mid-car than all up front. We'll see tonight when I drive a road that has *always* tramlined (even in my 325).

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:08 am

To be honest, I never put mine on (I spoke with other owners who also said they had lost a few of the rubber pieces while driving). I like the look of all silver vs. silver with lil' black caps. Sorry... I don't have any suggestions.
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

jmillet

Post by jmillet » Mon May 11, 2009 7:04 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:Not yet. But here it is: NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE noted on a Coupé for day to day driving. The bling factor got the best of me this time. :( --- :)
Bling factor got me too

Jim Millet
2007 E86 Z4 M Coupe', Imola Red, Black Leather with Carbon Leather Trim, Premium Package, Nav, Heated Seats, HD Radio, Strong-Strut, RPi Intake Scoop, CDV Delete, Cupholder Delete, TC Kline DA Coil Over Suspension.

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue May 12, 2009 1:01 pm

Smokin wrote:
Rick Hunter wrote:Might want to put a bit of glue to keep them in place. Otherwise they WILL fly off eventually.
suggestions on type of glue? Just a dab of Elmer's? Remember, I have to take off the cross brace to change oil.
Just put a dab of clear silicon on top of the nuts before fitting the caps. :thumbsup:
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Tue May 12, 2009 1:10 pm

Breaker wrote:
Smokin wrote:
Just put a dab of clear silicon on top of the nuts before fitting the caps. :thumbsup:
Duh, why didn't I think of that. Good old rubber cement had passed my mind, but not the modern equivalent... :headbang: :lol:

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Wed May 13, 2009 9:33 am

Actually, I think it looks better without the black caps on. :wink:

How much was it? Been thinking of buying one for mine.
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)